Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Safe From Harm;classic, Dumb Pop Song, Or Guido Anthem

Originally posted by cintron

BIG diff. in sound. Honestly i wish he'd give it more of that miami feel. It had so much energy and LIGHT.

Everything as of late in NYC is dark, dirty and danky. It's stifling.

Exactly. There's just a little bit too much repetition in the whole Vinyl lineup nowadays.

Techno, Drum n Bass, Trance, Electro, Leftfield...BRING IT ON!

Originally posted by xpander

Exactly. There's just a little bit too much repetition in the whole Vinyl lineup nowadays.

Techno, Drum n Bass, Trance, Electro, Leftfield...BRING IT ON!

I have heard that essential mix. The first song on that mix is the Blackout Allstars-I like it like and also there is some Armand Van Helden on there as well. It's interesting, it's got a nice latin feel which is what the crowd at bthe time he was playing for liked, the miami vibe.

The stuff DT is playing today is what the crowd at Vinyl seems to like these days.

There was a period in the mid 90s when I always felt that he always played what his heart felt and what really moved him, never catering to anyone else but these days it just don't feel the same. :(

To back up what I'm saying above, I do recall last year he was intreviewed in Dj times and he stated that when he was playing at roxy and twilo, all of New York was really into vocal anthems. At that time, most of his crowd wanted to hear that kind of stuff. as well. He stated that he was feeling other stuff than that and going in a different direction away from that; more along the lines Techno and other abstract beats.

TWISTED

His music selection was what made him stick out from everyone else and defintely defined his sound. He was never afraid to try new things and introduce people to new sounds. When it came to the NYC club scene, he had a rebel like attitude approach about things, never sounding like everyone. else :finger: As a result, this was one of the reason's why his residency at Twilo ended.

To XPANDER,

As Far as Vinyl nowadays I hear you on that one. With the exception of sundays, Body and soul, for the most part the music on friday and saturday is pretty much the same; deep dark and progressive. Where has the diversity gone?

:rolleyes:

Bring in other Djs besides everyone that makesup global underground catalogue.

Dropping my two cents from the left and wishing things were like they were,

Big Ralph

:woah::hey:

well said, man. I mean i like the GU sound. it's funky, it's deep and it's infectious.

but damn. no diversity. The night that Lawler came into town i was psyched to hear him, but he just fed straight hard repetetive beats all night. i was so dissappointed and i think that's really what made me realize NY needs some life breathed into it.

So who wants to grab a warehouse, get a good sound and lighting system in there and get raw?

Originally posted by cakewalk

There was a period in the mid 90s when I always felt that he always played what his heart felt and what really moved him, never catering to anyone else but these days it just don't feel the same. :(

To back up what I'm saying above, I do recall last year he was intreviewed in Dj times and he stated that when he was playing at roxy and twilo, all of New York was really into vocal anthems. At that time, most of his crowd wanted to hear that kind of stuff. as well. He stated that he was feeling other stuff than that and going in a different direction away from that; more along the lines Techno and other abstract beats.

He may be interested in exploring different genres, but what makes you think he's not feeling the beats he brings to Vinyl? Is it possible that what HE is feeling and what YOU are feeling simply no longer coincide?

GU London = DT @ Twilo (my opinon)

/B]

No way dude I can't agree with you on that one. That was early all the way Vinyl all the way especially that first CD. Alot of those tracks were anthems:bounce:

To Be Honest, There are no compliations out there that represent DT AT Twilo. After 4am, after Toni Braxton and Deborah Cox that place was a total different experience.

I'm talking stuff like Convextion, Papermoon, Spastik, and PyscoFuk. Those records were in a class of their own.

Everything originates from the left,

Ralphie Big

:nopity:

I was at LAWLER that Night as well. One of the big resasons, I only went was to check out Matt Licata and show support.

Matt created a nice vibe easing the crowd intro it. Lawler just comes up turns Matt;s music off and then just starts playing hard beats for 6 hours straight.

It sounded Like DT peakhour to me with like 85% of the music played on fridays.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Need to get back to basics and being in the left,

Ralph:dj:

So who wants to grab a warehouse, get a good sound and lighting system in there and get raw?

Now we're talking. :idea:

Are you planning on booking Frankie Bones too. Just kidding

Back to Basics:) :) :)

Always represnting the left,

Ralph:idea:

Isn't this board supposed to be based on opinions. I'm sorry" If the song brings tears to your eyes everytime you hear it after dropping two double stacks hey then all the power to you.

Anyway, If you like the song that is fine and if you feel it's the best thing since "DO IT AGAIN" and "It's not right but it's okay the word. I am just merely saying I just don't like the song. Also I jsut wanted to know other people's thoughts and opinions. Furthermore I feel the song is reall lacking?

What makes it a Quality song there sizzle chest? Please advise?

Also I have been listening to Danny for years now, since the days he occaisonaly made his appearances on 21st at the sound factory bar on thursday nights. EriK Morrillo would also play that night, Rob Fernandez was the promoter.

I have followed Danny's style through the years and feel that years ago he would not touch songs like "Safe From Harm" and "Little Bit Paranoid". They are all catchy sing along tunes that seem to appeal to yourself and the rest of the one sided superficial crowd.

:cheese:

Ohhhh and Danny was playing "Unusually Hard". You call that Hard??? Let's go back to the Tunnel years and even the first few years of Vinyl, i don;t think you know what hard was? Well then again you probably have had your share of build-ups. Do You consider "professional Widow" and "Little Bit Paranoid" hard. hmmmmmmm I was the one in the corner on K...interesting and I have no clue.

I don't do drugs either by the way there son. The only thing I take is Stacker 2 which keeps me awake.

Anyways when you get a clue and some actual class then post and fully back up your post with logic and not dumb hostility because your life sucks. :cry:

I don't know who you nor do I care but the last few times i have been to Vinyl and from what i have been hearing is that the crowd has been one sided. There seems to be no more diversity in the crowd as it once was. It's been nothing but a shirtless "meathead" convention ala "Sound Crackory".

It's too bad you only discovered Vinyl 7 months ago.

LONG LIVE SHAWN INK AND TONY DRAPER.

(THE ULTIMATE DREAM TAG TEAM)

POSSIBLY billed as Crash Night.

Well well well...impressive response there...aight let's do this:

Mr. Leftist Ralph:

To clear up the background for ya: Granted you HAVE been partying longer than I have, but that doesn't mean I know less than you. It would be insane to think that I've never asked as many people as possible about who was where and what they've spun (ie. Danny at Tunnel). To clear up a few misconceptions you might have about me: Sound Factory Saturdays can burn in hell for all I care, I'd be on the sidewalk with popcorn in my hand. I like to think the muscleheads will go away in due time, but that could be wishful thinking. I've never taken a drug in my life, so we're in the same boat there. Oh and btw, my first night listening to Danny @ Vinyl was the night of Operation: Cinderella.

So let me just get straight to my point. Counterarguing everything won't prove anything. Granted Danny's style has changed, but isn't that what great DJ's do, change with the times and take the music to another level? If Danny stayed with his style in 94, then I'm not sure that he would be receiving the same type of recognition he gets now.

Safe From Harm was a track he started playing last October. You can stand out and try to act cool and say you were the only one who didn't like it back then, but try saying that when Danny was forced to play it twice almost every Friday for a month and half because people were feeling it that much. Were you calling it cheesy back then? As I've said before, if you feel a song sounds good, who am I to judge you? I can't give you a clear cut definition of what a quality track is because people's tastes are different. Now, if I'm at Vinyl tonight, and he drops that track, I wouldn't neccessarily dance to it, but if the rest of the floor is, then Danny is doing his job, and Safe From Harm is still quality, even though I wouldn't agree that it would be. I hope he's a little smarter than that, and I hope you can have a little more respect for him.

Questioning Tenaglia's integrity on a track by track basis, I feel, is not right. There is a reason why his party is packed every Friday. There is a reason you wait once a year to hear him at Space in Miami. There is a reason why people all over Europe can't wait 'till he comes to England and Ibiza. He is a godscent to them, and we are way too spoiled to have him every Friday.

So, if this argument doesn't prove that my opinion counts, wanna come join me at Webster Hall for Shawn Ink vs. Ricky Corbo? ;)

originally posted by cakewalk...

(I was at LAWLER that Night as well. One of the big resasons, I only went was to check out Matt Licata and show support.

Matt created a nice vibe easing the crowd intro it. Lawler just comes up turns Matt;s music off and then just starts playing hard beats for 6 hours straight. )

I have known Matt for some time, and think he's got an incredible, diverse sound. He is one of my main influences and I believe one of the best out there today.

Originally posted by highmay

Well well well...impressive response there...aight let's do this:

Mr. Leftist Ralph:

To clear up the background for ya: Granted you HAVE been partying longer than I have, but that doesn't mean I know less than you. It would be insane to think that I've never asked as many people as possible about who was where and what they've spun (ie. Danny at Tunnel).

You can stand out and try to act cool and say you were the only one who didn't like it back then, but try saying that when Danny was forced to play it twice almost every Friday for a month and half because people were feeling it that much. Were you calling it cheesy back then?

Well the I see what we have here. You as i see love the song and thought that it rocked then and you feel the song still rocks but it's been over played. That's all fine and good and a simple explantaion would have suffice which is what I was trying to get out of this thread before it got crazy.

You didn't have to get offf all crazy, rude, and call me all the names names in the book because I am not feeling the song. You don't know who I am mentally; what my likes and dislikes. So you cannot sit her and tell me that I thought the song rocked back in October or whenever Danny dropped it. I'm telling you, belive it or not, the song did absolutely nothing for me the first time i heard it and nothing to this day. :gas: Sorry but I just never liked it and wanted other people's opinion.

Also I don't think you can sit here and honestly say that you know what was up with DT back in the day just from talking to people, who claim you were there. Bro you just had to experience some of things that man could created. Not that he's not creating things now but honestly it's just not the same and what it was once. That's solely based on my opinion.

:shake: :shake: :shake:

Now one more thing what exactly was operation cinderalla??? Was that the password to get into the Vip Area that night?

Inquiring minds from the left would like to know,

Raphie L Big:pint:

Also I don't think you can sit here and honestly say that you know what was up with DT back in the day just from talking to people, who claim you were there. Bro you just had to experience some of things that man could created. Not that he's not creating things now but honestly it's just not the same and what it was once. That's solely based on my opinion.

Now one more thing what exactly was operation cinderalla??? Was that the password to get into the Vip Area that night?

Inquiring minds from the left would like to know,

Raphie L Big:pint:

aight... well yeah, youre right on the fact that i cant tell you that ive expierienced DT based on what people might have said about him in the past, but you get sort of an idea based on the majority of opinions you hear...one thing that has remained constant in his sets is that he always plays songs back from the Garage days, and that's something you can't deny...

Operation Cinderella was on August 20, 2000...my cousin and i were in the VIP room, but got in there as soon as the club opened...so we werent told the password...you read this article about the night: http://bbs.clubplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9377&highlight=operation+cinderella

and about safe from harm: whatever...

Originally posted by brickhouse

"Of all clubs in the city, Twilo will never go down!! NEVER!!!

Before Twilo, many other REAL junkie spots will fall...

The Music is still the essenceof every Twilo night... When that starts to change, then we'll be in trouble."

Heh.

So are you saying if Safe from Harm was being played at twilo that would make it a good track?

There were clubs before Twilo and there will be clubs after. Twilo was never the beginning of underground dance nor was it the heart either....

My opinion it was only a name. Phil Smith got the name from watching the Mary Tyler Moore show. Apparntly a character on the show had a dream that they wet to a new palnet called Twilo.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was there that night then, Operation Cinderella. After the place got raided, I ended up at Twilo for Richie Hawtin.

:eek:

A confused Ralph oberving from the left.

:D

Originally posted by highmay

Questioning Tenaglia's integrity on a track by track basis, I feel, is not right. There is a reason why his party is packed every Friday. There is a reason you wait once a year to hear him at Space in Miami. There is a reason why people all over Europe can't wait 'till he comes to England and Ibiza. He is a godscent to them, and we are way too spoiled to have him every Friday.

Whoa....