Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DVD vs VCD

What is the difference in DVD and VCD. I know that VCD is not region coded so it will play on any DVD player that has VCD capability and will play on your PC too, but what is the quality like?

The reason that I ask is I want to get the Futurama series but it is not out on DVD yet but is out on VCD. Also is PS2 a VCD player also?

Originally posted by therunner

What is the difference in DVD and VCD. I know that VCD is not region coded so it will play on any DVD player that has VCD capability and will play on your PC too, but what is the quality like?

The reason that I ask is I want to get the Futurama series but it is not out on DVD yet but is out on VCD. Also is PS2 a VCD player also?

Completely different formats. DVD uses MPEG-2 compression. VCD, I believe is MPEG-1. Yes, these are the same MPEG formats you can play on your computer.

MPEG-2 is a better compression format that allows video and audio to be of higher quality than MPEG-1. Also, the DVD medium can store a helluva lot more info than a CD can. A VCD is just a CD burned with MPEG video (a little more complicated, but that's the gist). So to get a whole 2 hour movie onto VCD, you would need at least 2 CD's. Vs. you could get a 2 hour movie onto one DVD.

Also, VCD's MPEG compression technology only really allow you to get VHS quality video. MPEG just can't get the number of lines of resolution that MPEG-2 can easily.

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

Completely different formats. DVD uses MPEG-2 compression. VCD, I believe is MPEG-1. Yes, these are the same MPEG formats you can play on your computer.

MPEG-2 is a better compression format that allows video and audio to be of higher quality than MPEG-1. Also, the DVD medium can store a helluva lot more info than a CD can. A VCD is just a CD burned with MPEG video (a little more complicated, but that's the gist). So to get a whole 2 hour movie onto VCD, you would need at least 2 CD's. Vs. you could get a 2 hour movie onto one DVD.

Also, VCD's MPEG compression technology only really allow you to get VHS quality video. MPEG just can't get the number of lines of resolution that MPEG-2 can easily.

wtf did you say? Can you say it in english next time?

Dude, I am dumb and I understood that.

I'm brilliant and I couldn't understand it, maybe I just didn't read it thoroughly. Too many VD's and Cd's and mpeg 1's and 2's. Just get a DVD thats my recommendation.......

Originally posted by pgiddy

I'm brilliant and I couldn't understand it, maybe I just didn't read it thoroughly. Too many VD's and Cd's and mpeg 1's and 2's. Just get a DVD thats my recommendation.......

Well if you read the above, it's not out on DVD.

Oh yeah shady, do you know if the PS2 is VCD playable?

But yes, I do beleive I am going to wait for it to come out on DVD cause I haven't seen the quality of VCD.

Well if you read the above, it's not out on DVD.

Oh yeah shady, do you know if the PS2 is VCD playable?

But yes, I do beleive I am going to wait for it to come out on DVD cause I haven't seen the quality of VCD.

Go to Sony's website and check out the specs. I don't know if it plays VCD or not.