Jump to content
Clubplanet Nightlife Community
Sign in to follow this  
therunner

DVD vs VCD

Recommended Posts

What is the difference in DVD and VCD. I know that VCD is not region coded so it will play on any DVD player that has VCD capability and will play on your PC too, but what is the quality like?

The reason that I ask is I want to get the Futurama series but it is not out on DVD yet but is out on VCD. Also is PS2 a VCD player also?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by therunner

What is the difference in DVD and VCD. I know that VCD is not region coded so it will play on any DVD player that has VCD capability and will play on your PC too, but what is the quality like?

The reason that I ask is I want to get the Futurama series but it is not out on DVD yet but is out on VCD. Also is PS2 a VCD player also?

Completely different formats. DVD uses MPEG-2 compression. VCD, I believe is MPEG-1. Yes, these are the same MPEG formats you can play on your computer.

MPEG-2 is a better compression format that allows video and audio to be of higher quality than MPEG-1. Also, the DVD medium can store a helluva lot more info than a CD can. A VCD is just a CD burned with MPEG video (a little more complicated, but that's the gist). So to get a whole 2 hour movie onto VCD, you would need at least 2 CD's. Vs. you could get a 2 hour movie onto one DVD.

Also, VCD's MPEG compression technology only really allow you to get VHS quality video. MPEG just can't get the number of lines of resolution that MPEG-2 can easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by shadygroovedc

Completely different formats. DVD uses MPEG-2 compression. VCD, I believe is MPEG-1. Yes, these are the same MPEG formats you can play on your computer.

MPEG-2 is a better compression format that allows video and audio to be of higher quality than MPEG-1. Also, the DVD medium can store a helluva lot more info than a CD can. A VCD is just a CD burned with MPEG video (a little more complicated, but that's the gist). So to get a whole 2 hour movie onto VCD, you would need at least 2 CD's. Vs. you could get a 2 hour movie onto one DVD.

Also, VCD's MPEG compression technology only really allow you to get VHS quality video. MPEG just can't get the number of lines of resolution that MPEG-2 can easily.

wtf did you say? Can you say it in english next time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by therunner

Dude, I am dumb and I understood that.

I'm brilliant and I couldn't understand it, maybe I just didn't read it thoroughly. Too many VD's and Cd's and mpeg 1's and 2's. Just get a DVD thats my recommendation.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by pgiddy

I'm brilliant and I couldn't understand it, maybe I just didn't read it thoroughly. Too many VD's and Cd's and mpeg 1's and 2's. Just get a DVD thats my recommendation.......

Well if you read the above, it's not out on DVD.

Oh yeah shady, do you know if the PS2 is VCD playable?

But yes, I do beleive I am going to wait for it to come out on DVD cause I haven't seen the quality of VCD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by therunner

Well if you read the above, it's not out on DVD.

Oh yeah shady, do you know if the PS2 is VCD playable?

But yes, I do beleive I am going to wait for it to come out on DVD cause I haven't seen the quality of VCD.

Go to Sony's website and check out the specs. I don't know if it plays VCD or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×