Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The Demise of Friday Nites in Miami

busty36

Originally posted by sobeton

trance is pretty much done, in the miami club market.. with the exception of the occasional superstar dj appearance.. the crowds are getting thinner , and thinner. level the only club with a real trance nite; is even segmenting out that nite to include other formats. I wouldn't be surprised to see George Acosta's contract not renewed. if Living Room downtown, and Exile continue to follow a trance format, they will not last the summer. miami nitelife needs a good shot of adrenaline, and it's not going to come in the form of trance.

And what's going to replace it? House? Check page 24 of the new StreetMiami, Aquabooty is toast. I quote "While Aquabooty developed a strong following, offering underground house......the problem was those devotees weren't the type to spend a fortune at the bar, which is where clubs make their money."

Who does spend a fortune at the bar? Tourists. Here is a problem, there is very little impetus to change things because the tourists spend the majority of the $$$, and the tourists are going to go to Crobar and Level no matter who is there. It's clubbing Disney World, the tourists don't care, they just want to say they partied in South Beach.

The problem seems to be how to attract a diverse, in-the-know local crowd and still make money doing it. Promoters might want to study the PopLife blueprint......they certainly seem to be able to get it done. Music-wise, I think eclecticism is the way forward. I can't honestly say I care to hear a DJ sticking to the same relative genre the whole night any more, and I bet I'm not the only person who feels this way. The idea of going to see PVD trance me all night long, or Diggers pound me over the head with prog straight until 5AM, that just doesn't appeal to me. Or non-stop house music for hours on end, for that matter.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CLUB 1771 >>>>>>>>>>>> ALUVION fridays !!!! :eek:

COME AND CHECK IT OUT !! THIS FRIDAY NIGHT JUNE 14th

formerly Salvation

Located at 1771 west ave. must be 21

tomorrow night is the second friday opened, come and support

a new venue which will bring big events soon !!!!

TO BE ON THE GUEST LIST PLEASE

E-mail me: grlyfly@netscape.net

Complimentary entrance before midnight

this friday we have resident dj Frank Costa whom has spinned at Space. Progressive House

DJ DIAGA DEEP HOUSE

BRIAN KRANE - BREAKBEATS

and...

******NEXT FRIDAY NIGHT JUNE 21st ******

we will have JOHN COWEN from BLISS PRODUCTION

I will gladly take care of all clubplanet peeps!!! come and support !!!

enjoy Aluvion ! @ 1771

FLYG. ;)

Originally posted by ernextnation

I didnt say anything about 'best dj', I said, the best DJs in the world like Sasha and Digwed, Paul Van Dyk, BT, etc. Do you know anyone better than this guys???

no i don't, you're right BT is the best dj around. well maybe when he learns how to beat match first.

if you want to dance ur arse off this month...go to crobar....catch second hand satellites..sean cusick and dj three. next friday steve lawler...lights out global underground cd release party...then satoshi tomeii for his nubreed cd release party. as far as the local friday night scene is concerened. where-ever rolland...

ariel baund, and merlin are playing would be nice to hear. bring back luis diaz as a resident in miami on fridays maybe at rain????

hey there flygirl...great party at the former salvation with jon cowan. his music is amazing. the bliss progressive sound is earth shaking and an orgasm for the ears. tough choice cause steve lawler is playing at crobar the 21st. until what time is the venue opened. i will rush out at 5 to catch jon or maybe earlier. i just olove progressive house muzik.

Originally posted by patrickl

And what's going to replace it? House? Check page 24 of the new StreetMiami, Aquabooty is toast. I quote "While Aquabooty developed a strong following, offering underground house......the problem was those devotees weren't the type to spend a fortune at the bar, which is where clubs make their money."

Who does spend a fortune at the bar? Tourists. Here is a problem, there is very little impetus to change things because the tourists spend the majority of the $$$, and the tourists are going to go to Crobar and Level no matter who is there. It's clubbing Disney World, the tourists don't care, they just want to say they partied in South Beach.

The problem seems to be how to attract a diverse, in-the-know local crowd and still make money doing it. Promoters might want to study the PopLife blueprint......they certainly seem to be able to get it done. Music-wise, I think eclecticism is the way forward. I can't honestly say I care to hear a DJ sticking to the same relative genre the whole night any more, and I bet I'm not the only person who feels this way. The idea of going to see PVD trance me all night long, or Diggers pound me over the head with prog straight until 5AM, that just doesn't appeal to me. Or non-stop house music for hours on end, for that matter.

what's going to replace it is really up to clubbers.. Tech-house seems to be developing an audience. any knowledge club owner knows.. you can not depend on, the bar for a majority of your profit. this is why you see a trend, in higher cover charges. tourism is down over 40%, from last year in dade county. it’s certainly not the tourist;keeping clubs afloat right now. the problem is how you attract and keep a loyal crowd. imo you offer them variety. have several formats of music playing under one roof. if that is not possible; vary the format from night to night, or week to week. keep it fresh and interesting and people will come. patience is also a factor.. you can’t throw something out there , and expect people to jump all over it. give it sufficient time to develop. finally if your going to work a format. for goodness sake promote the fawking thing. the days of taking a big ad out in paper, and buying time on a radio station. expecting people to come; is not going to happen. "street promotion" is the name of the game. take it to the people.. crobar, level, and space do exstensive street promotion (stores, street, beaches, malls, etc).

p.s. "PVD trance me all night long" what was the last live set you heard from PVD ?? PVD destroyed space during conference, and he certainly wasn't spinning trance all night. Diggers what can you say. the man is a technician on the dex. his sets are hardly a "non-stop" pounding of progressive house.

1771 is on the beach, it closes at 5.

Anthem trance, as such, is done in Miami. Citing George Acosta as it being alive is kind of off. Level is packed, sure, but it's mainly the Miami equivalent of the bridge n tunnel crowd, as well as people who could hardly give a rip whether it is George Acosta or George Jetson...they're fucked up and waving glowsticks in each others' faces, as long as there is lights and sound they could care less. Stick the same people in crobar, Space, or Liquid, and they're equally entertained. It's not too hard to draw 3,000 people like that from a 2-3 million person pool. Level is packed consistently, due to a massive guestlist, massive promotions, and the name. There's probably about 500 people max in the crowd who care that it is George.

Trance as a whole, isn't finished though. Like other genres, it's evolved, eventually to the point where it should be called something else. Apparently Picotto is a prime example of that. I hope PvD pulls something like this, the crowd reaction will be classic...on the same token it is a blast when Sander, Danny H. or Dave Seaman drop something trancy and the hardcore crowd drops to the floor in shock.

I've been accused as a fence-sitter by pretty much the whole board. I like some trance, I like some house. I'm equally at home at a DHM set as I would be listening to someone like Picotto or PvD...

Originally posted by sobeton

p.s. "PVD trance me all night long" what was the last live set you heard from PVD ?? PVD destroyed space during conference, and he certainly wasn't spinning trance all night. Diggers what can you say. the man is a technician on the dex. his sets are hardly a "non-stop" pounding of progressive house.

I didn't see the PVD. I just assumed he plays trance all night long? You mean he doesn't? And Diggers......when I saw him I was pretty well bored. Its just that too-pounding prog sound I don't care for. Oh well, it's all a matter of taste. I agree with the idea that the club nights should be varied, though. Variety is a good thing.

Guest saleen351

At least then you can jump on the Net during the commercial breaks, but at the stadium you have to be subjected to all the LOUD bullshit ads, promotions, crap-ass music, patriotic I-Love-The-USA propaganda......I swear last season, I felt like I was going to USA propaganda rallies thinly veiled as football games. Shit, why can't people go to games to FORGET about the "War on Terrorism" crap? Why must we be constantly reminded of it? All the politically correct corporate bullshit that goes on at NFL games is getting increasingly more difficult to stomach.

bro, where do get off, saying all this propaganda patriotic crap? Let me tell you, the first monday night game after 9-11 was jets vs San fran at the meadowlands... Now I lived exactly 1 hour to ground zero, which is where most people work where I'm from. Not sure if you know this but when you're on turnpike in NJ you can always see the towers and the city, well, on the drive up around exit 13 I noticed everyone was slowing down in the right lane, I knew why I just wanted to forget about it, so my buddy driving pulled in the right lane with everyone else and drove slow... ALL YOU CAN FUCKING SEE OF MY CITY WAS SMOKE WITH LIGHTS, NO SKYLINE AT ALL, THIS WAS AT 330 IN THE AFTER NOON... I GET TO GAMES EARLY SO I CAN GET REALLY VIOLENT IN THE PARKING LOT... YEA I FUCKING TEARED UP WHEN I LOOKED OVER.. MY FUCKING NEIGHBORS ARE FUCKING DEAD, THEIR KIDS PLAY EVERYDAY OUTSIDE THE HOUSE.... MY PARENTS HAD THEIR DINNERS CATERED AND WE DONATED MONEY TO THEM, MY OTHER NEIGHBOR DIED ALSO... I NEVER KNEW THESE PEOPLE, BUT DOES THAT MATTER... SO WE GET TO THE GAME THE PLACE IS LIKE FORT KNOX NOW, I WAS ON WPIX IN NYC, IF ANY YANKEES FANS ARE ON THIS BOARD THEN THEY KNOW WPIX... FOOTBALL LIFTED THE SPRITS OF THE TRISTATE AREA THAT NIGHT, EVEN THE GIANTS FANS WERE ROOTING FOR THE JETS... MAYOR JUILAN CAME OUT WE ALL HAD FLAGS AND THE PLACE WENT NUTS... I'M TALKING PEOPLE HUGGING EACH OTHER, LOTS OF FEMALES WERE CRYING AND BEST OF ALL I GOT TO MET THE MAN HIMSELF... THE FIREMAN THAT DOES THE CHEERS FOR THE JETS,,, GAVE HIM A HIGH 5 AND TOLD HIM I'LL PRAY FOR HIS FALLEN BROTHERS... I'LL NEVER FORGET THAT GAME OR NIGHT... SO PLEASE NOT TO START ANY DRAMA WITH YOU, FOOTBALL IS LIKE AMERICAN PIE, TO SAY ITS JUST FOOTBALL AND WE ARE SUPPOSE TO FORGET FOR 3 HOURS WHAT HAPPNED IS INSANE... YOU HAVE TO LIVE IN THE NORTHEAST TO UNDERSTAND, NOTHING WILL MAKE US FORGET. SO NEXT TIME IF YOU THINK all the patriotic stuff is a war rally THINK OF MY NEIGHBORS...

your friend saleen...

Originally posted by phrankadelic

what so people can't progress through music styles? so just b/c i don't like freestyle as much anymore means i'm a poser too?

this whole post is WEAK!!!

What I don't understand is why people have to be *over* with particular forms of music......it's like.......if you're gonna like house, that means you can't like trance anymore, it seems. Or breaks or whatever. The whole thing presupposes that what you are listening to now is inherently *better* than what was being listened to before.......I don't know that that is the case. This probably isn't much of a factor on this board, but places like the GU board you get all these so-called experts who think they are hot shit because they listen to house now. I guess I just don't see the need to irrevocably distance oneself from trance the way so many people seem to want to do. I don't know how some people can just keep listening to one genre all the time, anyway. What I want to hear varies on my mood, this is always changing. Trance fills *a* need for me, as does house, techno, breaks, ambient, IDM, trip-hop, indie, electro, grunge, synthpop, metal, classic rock, or any hybrid sub-sub-genre of the above. It's all just tunes anyway. My mood is fairly erratic, so I like a good bit of eclecticism. Hearing the same style for hours on end doesn't usually do it for me, no matter what the style is.

What I don't understand is why people have to be *over* with particular forms of music......it's like.......if you're gonna like house, that means you can't like trance anymore, it seems. Or breaks or whatever. The whole thing presupposes that what you are listening to now is inherently *better* than what was being listened to before.......I don't know that that is the case. This probably isn't much of a factor on this board, but places like the GU board you get all these so-called experts who think they are hot shit because they listen to house now. I guess I just don't see the need to irrevocably distance oneself from trance the way so many people seem to want to do. I don't know how some people can just keep listening to one genre all the time, anyway. What I want to hear varies on my mood, this is always changing. Trance fills *a* need for me, as does house, techno, breaks, ambient, IDM, trip-hop, indie, electro, grunge, synthpop, metal, classic rock, or any hybrid sub-sub-genre of the above. It's all just tunes anyway. My mood is fairly erratic, so I like a good bit of eclecticism. Hearing the same style for hours on end doesn't usually do it for me, no matter what the style is.

Great post dude, I was joking when I wrote my trance post. There is even 2 subsequent posts where I said it was a joke. McDonaldsfunk chooses only see the part of my post that is convenient for him to make me look like a poser.

Yes, I liked trance funk and I still do like "SOME" trance.

Originally posted by saleen351

bro, where do get off, saying all this propaganda patriotic crap? Let me tell you, the first monday night game after 9-11 was jets vs San fran at the meadowlands...

Why don't you attend a game at PP Stadium and you'll see?

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes about "the events of September 11th" TM but I just have an extremely low tolerance for bullshit. I go to a football game, I want to see football - not commercials for Blockbuster, American Airlines, the Miami Herald, Office Depot, blah blah ad nauseam. I also don't care to get the flag and "God Bless America" shoved down my throat every Sunday. Again, I go to a football game to see football. The University of Miami and the rest of college football understands this, the NFL does not.

Originally posted by georgeacasta2

Great post dude, I was joking when I wrote my trance post. There is even 2 subsequent posts where I said it was a joke. McDonaldsfunk chooses only see the part of my post that is convenient for him to make me look like a poser.

Yes, I liked trance funk and I still do like "SOME" trance.

Hey, I love my psy-trance. Listening to it right now as a matter of fact! There will always be a place in my collection for spacy, trippy, busy, high-BPM acid trance.

What Cusick was playing last night was just wayyyyy too middle-of-the-road for me. It sounded like it was trying too hard to not be distinctive, or something. To me, that was the epitome of a DJ disappearing up his own ass. Either that, or I really need to start drinking when I go to clubs. I suspect the latter would make it much better for me. hehe

Hey, I love my psy-trance. Listening to it right now as a matter of fact! There will always be a place in my collection for spacy, trippy, busy, high-BPM acid trance.

What Cusick was playing last night was just wayyyyy too middle-of-the-road for me. It sounded like it was trying too hard to not be distinctive, or something. To me, that was the epitome of a DJ disappearing up his own ass. Either that, or I really need to start drinking when I go to clubs. I suspect the latter would make it much better for me. hehe

Tell me about it, Cusick was killing me! All those songs sounded the same except for when he got electro for a little while, I wasn't to crazy about it but atleast it broke the monotony.