Clubplanet Nightlife Community

who is James Lavelle?

I can't catagorize his sound cos i've not really listened to any of his stuff but check stuff by UNCLE which he records under,one of there albums from a few years ago is called 'phsyence fiction'.Only stuff i've heard is his remix's involving Richard Ashcroft from the Verve and Radiohead and they were pretty good.Sorry i can't be of more help but it's all i know.

what a joke...Satoshi Tomiie, a veteran of well over a decade in this biz and producer/remixer of countless hits gets a NuBreed, then this unknown gets an official GU CD? Where's the sense in that? Dont get me wrong, no disrespect against James LaVelle but he should be getting a NuBreed, not Satoshi!

Originally posted by Abstrakt

what a joke...Satoshi Tomiie, a veteran of well over a decade in this biz and producer/remixer of countless hits gets a NuBreed, then this unknown gets an official GU CD? Where's the sense in that? Dont get me wrong, no disrespect against James LaVelle but he should be getting a NuBreed, not Satoshi!

----------

This internationally renowned DJ and Producer first appeared on the scene in 1992. As head of Mo’Wax, the infamous breaks & hip hop imprint, Lavelle has released material from a host of talented artist including DJ Shadow - check out the landmark Entroducingalbum. Swift to follow were the Headz and Headz II compilations, and a great album from Attica Blues. The label is a fusion of the wide variety of music Lavelle grew up with and for better or worse Lavelle played an important role in the birth of the genre which has come to be known as triphop.

Through Mo’Wax, Lavelle branched into production. The U.N.K.L.E project, named after the TV series, began in 1994, and the enormously hyped album featured collaborations with DJ Shadow, Thom Yorke, Richard Ashcroft, and several others.

Lavelle and partner in crime File, are now Fabric residents, with a strong reputation for their electric sets.Lavelle can be found playing an exciting mix of hiphop, funk, old skool classics and jazz.

-----------

Watch who you're calling unknown.

Originally posted by xpander

----------

This internationally renowned DJ and Producer first appeared on the scene in 1992. As head of Mo’Wax, the infamous breaks & hip hop imprint, Lavelle has released material from a host of talented artist including DJ Shadow - check out the landmark Entroducingalbum. Swift to follow were the Headz and Headz II compilations, and a great album from Attica Blues. The label is a fusion of the wide variety of music Lavelle grew up with and for better or worse Lavelle played an important role in the birth of the genre which has come to be known as triphop.

Through Mo’Wax, Lavelle branched into production. The U.N.K.L.E project, named after the TV series, began in 1994, and the enormously hyped album featured collaborations with DJ Shadow, Thom Yorke, Richard Ashcroft, and several others.

Lavelle and partner in crime File, are now Fabric residents, with a strong reputation for their electric sets.Lavelle can be found playing an exciting mix of hiphop, funk, old skool classics and jazz.

-----------

how do you know so much about this guy? amazing:eek:

Just because he has a bio and a press kit which you have quoted from does not make him a well-known dj/producer. Like I said before, nothing against the guy, Im sure he's great DJ and the CD will be great, but passing over Satoshi Tomiie to give James Lavelle a GU CD doesnt make much sense.

Just because he has a bio and a press kit which you have quoted from does not make him a well-known dj/producer. Like I said before, nothing against the guy, Im sure he's great DJ and the CD will be great, but passing over Satoshi Tomiie to give James Lavelle a GU CD doesnt make much sense.

You can name a ton of others they are passing over for this guy......its not just Satoshi thats gettin the shaft IMO

Just because you don't know who he is doesn't mean he's an unknown. Press kit aside, the "Endtroducing" album is no joke in the electronic music community. Tomiie has his credits, no doubt, but don't think just because he's better known to you means he's better known PERIOD. Boxed Records happens to be a UK label. Ever consider the possibility that Lavelle's more popular in the UK than Tomiie is?

Under your logic, Tomiie should be lucky that he even got a GU, considering all the DJ legends that "deserves" the slot ahead of him. If ya really want to get all "who deserves what" with the GU series, let's talk after the likes of Derrick Carter, Frankie Knuckles, Ritchie Hawtin, and so on and so forth, get THEIR GUs.

Get your head out of your ass.

Just because you don't know who he is doesn't mean he's an unknown. Press kit aside, the "Endtroducing" album is no joke in the electronic music community. Tomiie has his credits, no doubt, but don't think just because he's better known to you means he's better known PERIOD. Boxed Records happens to be a UK label. Ever consider the possibility that Lavelle's more popular in the UK than Tomiie is?

Under your logic, Tomiie should be lucky that he even got a GU, considering all the DJ legends that "deserves" the slot ahead of him. If ya really want to get all "who deserves what" with the GU series, let's talk after the likes of Derrick Carter, Frankie Knuckles, Ritchie Hawtin, and so on and so forth, get THEIR GUs.

Get your head out of your ass.

So what if Boxed Records happens to be a UK label? Whats the name of their series? GLOBAL UNDERGROUND...not UK Underground, GLOBAL Underground. So by your notion, even if Lavelle was more popular than Tomiie in England (which he is not by the way), it wouldn't matter because the CD is a reflection of Global house music as a whole, not a reflection of what is only being played in London. Look at Satoshi's tour schedule: if you sincerely dont think he's representative of what "Global Underground" is all about then I'll stop right there.

And dont try to get Knuckles, Carter and Hawtin into the discussion, their sound isn't reflective of what Boxed releases, which is also why Cox and PVD haven't gotten one either. Hopefully one day they will...

If you think for a second that Lavelle is more globally popular than Tomiie then you have a lot to learn. Again, I am not discrediting Lavelle, he has accomplished ALOT and Im sure the CD will be great, but give credit where credit is due.

Get my head out of my ass? Right...we can agree to disagree, but resorting to name calling simply reinforces the fact that your argument holds no water (what a surprise).

So what if Boxed Records happens to be a UK label? Whats the name of their series? GLOBAL UNDERGROUND...not UK Underground, GLOBAL Underground. So by your notion, even if Lavelle was more popular than Tomiie in England (which he is not by the way), it wouldn't matter because the CD is a reflection of Global house music as a whole, not a reflection of what is only being played in London. Look at Satoshi's tour schedule: if you sincerely dont think he's representative of what "Global Underground" is all about then I'll stop right there.

And dont try to get Knuckles, Carter and Hawtin into the discussion, their sound isn't reflective of what Boxed releases, which is also why Cox and PVD haven't gotten one either. Hopefully one day they will...

If you think for a second that Lavelle is more globally popular than Tomiie then you have a lot to learn. Again, I am not discrediting Lavelle, he has accomplished ALOT and Im sure the CD will be great, but give credit where credit is due.

Get my head out of my ass? Right...we can agree to disagree, but resorting to name calling simply reinforces the fact that your argument holds no water (what a surprise).

. . First off, the name "Global Underground" is somewhat meaningless when you take into account, like you said, Boxed Records choice of artists . . If the entire series attempted to actually BE both "Global" and "Underground" a wider range of genres and locales would have been showcased . . . The series would be more appropriately labeled: "Global 4 to the Floor Underground" . . .

. . Secondly . . . One's popularity does not necessarily reflect the depth of ones effect on the scene . . . I knew nothing of Satoshi Tomiie before moving to New York, Lavelle on the other hand I had heard of years ago through the UNKLE project among other things . . .

It's nice that we've people that think that GU should be some unequivocal representation of "Global House Music". Here's a question, sherlock: WHAT THE BLOODY FUCK DO YOU THINK CARTER AND KNUCKLES SPIN, ITALIAN DIVA DISCO?!?!

Oh, and I'm sure you know this, but the first GU was UK Hard House. There's that lovely "Global House Music" bit of bullshit for you, eh?

Just because GU's put out quite a bit of Prog House discs, doesn't mean for a SECOND that they've some obligation to put out Prog house discs for every single damn one of their releases. This is why we had people bitching and whining about how Emerson's discs wasn't "like other GU discs".

You dismiss Lavelle as an "unknown" and claim that Tomiie somehow "deserves" to have the GU spot as opposed to him? I'm not caling anyone names, chief. Just stating facts.

It's nice that we've people that think that GU should be some unequivocal representation of "Global House Music". Here's a question, sherlock: WHAT THE BLOODY FUCK DO YOU THINK CARTER AND KNUCKLES SPIN, ITALIAN DIVA DISCO?!?!

Oh, and I'm sure you know this, but the first GU was UK Hard House. There's that lovely "Global House Music" bit of bullshit for you, eh?

Just because GU's put out quite a bit of Prog House discs, doesn't mean for a SECOND that they've some obligation to put out Prog house discs for every single damn one of their releases. This is why we had people bitching and whining about how Emerson's discs wasn't "like other GU discs".

You dismiss Lavelle as an "unknown" and claim that Tomiie somehow "deserves" to have the GU spot as opposed to him? I'm not caling anyone names, chief. Just stating facts.

the sasha-ibiza disc wasnt "house" either

1) you're taking me out of context...I said Carter and Knuckles do not play a style of house that is reflective of what GU usually releases, there is no way you can disagree with me on that.

2) Yeah, the first GU CD was by Tony DeVit, second one was by Oakenfold, that was reflective of the new global sound at the moment...things change pal.

3) You can keep arguing for days, obviously you're a big fan of Mr. Lavelle, my main point here is that I dont understand how Tomiie is considered a NuBreed DJ (someone who is new and up-and-coming) when he has been around since the late '80s, but meanwhile Lavelle gets a GU CD which is usually reserved for more established international DJs...but whatever, at the end of the day, these titles are just clever marketing :laugh:

Regardless Satoshi's NuBreed is brilliant, its my favorite comp of the year :D

1) you're taking me out of context...I said Carter and Knuckles do not play a style of house that is reflective of what GU usually releases, there is no way you can disagree with me on that.

2) Yeah, the first GU CD was by Tony DeVit, second one was by Oakenfold, that was reflective of the new global sound at the moment...things change pal.

3) You can keep arguing for days, obviously you're a big fan of Mr. Lavelle, my main point here is that I dont understand how Tomiie is considered a NuBreed DJ (someone who is new and up-and-coming) when he has been around since the late '80s, but meanwhile Lavelle gets a GU CD which is usually reserved for more established international DJs...but whatever, at the end of the day, these titles are just clever marketing :laugh:

Thank you.

And now I read in my thread below, that the Trendroids might be the next Nu Breed artists? That better just be a rumor. Satoshi and the trendroids aren't even in the same league!

You see? There's the thing. You're sayinf that DeVit (R.I.P.) and Oakenfold was the style back in the day, so why can't that be said about the prog house GUs be in the same vein?

Things change? YUP.

Actually, I'm not a big fan of Lavelle. I heard his material from "Endtroducing", and I thought it was good, but I'm not absolutely hooked on him. I actually want his disc, though...I found that the GU discs that deviated a bit from the norm were often good (specifically, Emerson-Singapore.) My gripe was with the whole GU nubreed-vs-original hierarchy business. But all the GU DJs have considerable experience under their belts...so like you said, in the end, it IS all clever marketing.

Fuck damn I LOVE Marketing... :laugh: