Clubplanet Nightlife Community

any computer experts....question about connection

Originally posted by sassa

if the speed on your computer says 115200, what connection is that supposed to be? just trying to configure what speed mp3s to search for on winmx,and i am using dial up through msn at the moment....

I think that means 115 KBits/sec, so divide that by 8 and you get about 14KB/sec. So I would say download MP3's at 128kbits.

But I have no idea what I'm talking about so I'm probably wrong.

Originally posted by sassa

if the speed on your computer says 115200, what connection is that supposed to be? just trying to configure what speed mp3s to search for on winmx,and i am using dial up through msn at the moment....

no because there aren't any 115,200 modems (unless you use multilink and have 2 modems hooked up to 2 phone lines working together). Your speed is most likely 56k.

Originally posted by dr0ne

no because there aren't any 115,200 modems (unless you use multilink and have 2 modems hooked up to 2 phone lines working together). Your speed is most likely 56k.

sometimes even lees than 56k

Originally posted by glowgirl

sometimes even lees than 56k

most of the time... theres a question on the a+ exam about that.. but i forgot the answer... i think I THINK the fastest they say in the books is 48.8 I THINK... nobody truly gets a 56k connect...

Originally posted by dgmodel

most of the time... theres a question on the a+ exam about that.. but i forgot the answer... i think I THINK the fastest they say in the books is 48.8 I THINK... nobody truly gets a 56k connect...

i dont think that's true...when i was using a v90 56k modem a couple years back, i was getting a connection that read 57k and i was told that was a true 56k connection...i'm sure someone will clarify...not that it matters right now, you'd have to cut off a body part for me to give up my cable modem...

could be so... just going by the "text book" definition and what the answer checkers want to hear... but hey i could be dead wrong... but i recall that being a question on the a+...

i would have to assume if youre the first line and the closest to the junction box it wouldnt be hard to get a true 56k connect... but most lines are so conjusted and cluttered.. that nobody really gets one... who knows.. who cares... we sound like techie/trekie herbs... in this day and age who really cares about what speed dial up is... thats like asking how fast do VCR's rewind... or whatever...

yes yes you are all correct. but i haven't seen people connecting with anything less than a 56k modem in a long long time.

the 115200 means nothing, i remember when that happened w/ external modems it just meant the speed of the connection between modem and PC (the speed of the serial port).

The only way to know for sure the speed you're connected at is to go to one of those sites where they test your throughput. or to d/l a file from a website, time it w/ a stopwatch and divide the filesize by the download time (assuming the site you're getting it from is fast and that the bottleneck is your connection).

by i seriously doubt she cares about any of this (that's why i didn't first post it) ;)

so sassa, just put down "56k" as your speed it really doesn't matter. that speed thing is only good for one thing: so the people w/ fast connections don't start getting stuff from people with slow ones, cuz we're impatient like that. :D Basically if there's a bunch of the same mp3 on there, i always get from the guy w/ the fastest connection.