Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJ Shadow's new Private Press Outdoes itself

Well, to live up to my word to sdeelite, i am posting my own review of DJ Shadow's new one, The Private Press .

Let me just tell you, i really get into my music when im riding the train, seeing the sights and matching various objects and motions to the beat :spin:

Some things that come to mind about this album: Diverse, downtempo, switching from trip-hop to manic beats, soulfull samples and originality.

One track that stands out is Giving Up the Ghost, which starts off melodic with bell jingles and smooth sounds, moving into beats and various samples, then becoming darker and harder, Josh davis' signature style.

His music tends to be dark, and brings out a lot of contradictory emotions to the forefront. It's not just this, but how he molds the beats together, and adding various words in and out, blending styles u never thought would match.

Another track, Blood on the Motorway , is definitely a personable song to listen to with an open mind.

This album makes me feel so bad for missing him at the Bowery Ballroom back in the day, but listening to it over and over makes me feel like i was there.

:D :D :D

Originally posted by dirtyepic18

it is an awsome cd... defently stands up to endtroducing.

i was at his show the night of the cd's realease (june 3) at irving plaza... now that was a good night

U lucky fellow Islander you :cuss:

I bet he rocked it. There are certain songs that I WISH i could hear live, but who knows, he might make another round of NY sometime in the near future...

Originally posted by gmccookny

U lucky fellow Islander you :cuss:

I bet he rocked it. There are certain songs that I WISH i could hear live, but who knows, he might make another round of NY sometime in the near future...

i fully expect he'll come back around... he took like 5 years between entroducing and private press, hes not going back to the studio yet.

it was kind of funny actually, cause although his set was amazing, he had anti-pop consortium opening for him, and that was the worst live act i have ever seen. it was just 3 random guys rapping and freestyling independent of each other, and it had no beat whatsoever. i think they ended up cutting them short because it was obvious the crowd was bored.

definitely an impressive album.. no love lost in the 6 years between albums (UNKLE was a nice holdover.. but even that was 4 years ago) . only time I caught him live was at the unkle cd release at Virgin in 98.. did a short, but VERY sweet 30 minute set. then did a meet and great with james lavelle.. very cool individuals.

new cd is very prevelant in my current rotation

Private Press is one of the best albums since Portishead's Dummy. He really did out do himself. No doubt this is why Muzik Magazine labeled him as one the most influental and important people in the music industry.

I hope he make it to HK!

Originally posted by brickhouse

Personally I like DJ Food a little better, but Spooky still is one of the massas....

Wouldn't it be kool to have a Ninja Tune/DJ Shadow shindig?

It came close once for me when i saw Herbaliser, Amon Tobin and DJ Food at a seashore in Belgium one year. A DJ Food vs. DJ Shadow would make my ears sneeze :smoke:

I'm a huuuuge fan of INTRODUCING

but I gotta still get this one..

I'm so pissed I missed

his show at Irvin Plaza.

Shadow's the man..

and if you ever want to hear

some funny stories about him

talk to DJ WOOL sometime..

He's like good friends wth him

and can tell you a drunken tale

or two like only he knows how..

(Thanks for the Review..