Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bunka Vs Deko

first off , i'll start with comparing the 2 clubs and this is no offense to the staff or management of deko or abyss. let's look at the 2 clubs, compare them and just break it down and we'll see which the classier environment is. the outside of DEKO(stucco, paint, simple sign). BUNKA( custom brickface, 8 foot neon letters that say " HUNKA BUNKA", custom metal awnings, frosted glass lite from behind with fiber optics meaning the buildings windows can be lite to any color for example green and red at christmas or amber or yellow at halloween. the foyers to both clubs are beautiful with the brick work. let's compare the insides...DEKO(sheetrock painted white, white formica bartops, wooden floors 5 small bars and maybe a 500 person capacity). Hunka(copper bartops, all the walls are oak, 5 massive bars in the main room and the world bar is nothin short of extravagant. now the world bar is in the area before you enter the ballroom. a massive bar with a angled mirror, to the left and right of the bar there are 2 flat etched/stained glass globes rear illuminated, glass shelving. don't forget the capacity is 3500 legal.

granted that deko is a lounge, it is very small, it is nice, it is definitely not bunka...

atmoshere is what you have on thurs at deko and you earned it. now you are starting a saturday party now and people will choose between your thursday or saturday at deko or your saturday at abyss....you are competing against yourselves not bunka. is that wise? i don't think so!

if your party is for the 23 and older crowd why would they leave DEKO to go to 18 and over night at abyss which is packed but not the upscale crowd you are quote/unquote shooting for..

now let's briefly compare the dj's....richie santana(resident) and denny once a month or whenever....they are pretty much big room dj's so is their style of playing, (which is great), appropriate for the DEKO lounge and would their followings go to that venue..

now kip and myself have been working together at Hunka saturdays for about 10 or 11 years....we cater to people who work all week and go out one night a week to let loose....we play commercial early and progressive late...

as far as Hunka losing steam last year, i thought we did pretty good considering 2 of the largest buildings in NYC were destroyed, 10's of thousands of people losing their jobs from that event, sayreville inflicting a 2 o'clock closing, and the outerbridge crossing being closed......those are tough odds for all clubs but we survived....some clubs have to resort to 18 and over every night if you know what i'm sayin'....not us!

as for us(bunka) surviving on only one night a week.....doesn't abyss do that.....summer (wednesday is the night), winter (sat is the night).i think some of you inexperienced so-called promoters should think before you make a stupid comment like that..

friday's at bunka this year are gonna be geared toward's live entertainment (bands and national acts)..the likes of big orange cone, benjamins ect.....any NATIONAL ACTS that pass through we can take due to our size of our venue.....

HUNKA WILL OPEN THE LAST WEEK OF SEPTEMBER OR THE FIRST WEEK IN OCTOBER...BECAUSE D'JAIS(WHICH OWNS BUNKA) HAD THE BEST SUMMER IN IT'S HISTORY, WE ARE KEEPING D'JAIS OPEN UNTIL THE 3RD SATURDAY OF SEPTEMBER...

IF YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT I SAID, TOO FUCKIN' BAD!

KIRK LOPEZ

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by kirklop

first off , i'll start with comparing the 2 clubs and this is no offense to the staff or management of deko or abyss. let's look at the 2 clubs, compare them and just break it down and we'll see which the classier environment is. the outside of DEKO(stucco, paint, simple sign). BUNKA( custom brickface, 8 foot neon letters that say " HUNKA BUNKA", custom metal awnings, frosted glass lite from behind with fiber optics meaning the buildings windows can be lite to any color for example green and red at christmas or amber or yellow at halloween. the foyers to both clubs are beautiful with the brick work. let's compare the insides...DEKO(sheetrock painted white, white formica bartops, wooden floors 5 small bars and maybe a 500 person capacity). Hunka(copper bartops, all the walls are oak, 5 massive bars in the main room and the world bar is nothin short of extravagant. now the world bar is in the area before you enter the ballroom. a massive bar with a angled mirror, to the left and right of the bar there are 2 flat etched/stained glass globes rear illuminated, glass shelving. don't forget the capacity is 3500 legal.

granted that deko is a lounge, it is very small, it is nice, it is definitely not bunka...

atmoshere is what you have on thurs at deko and you earned it. now you are starting a saturday party now and people will choose between your thursday or saturday at deko or your saturday at abyss....you are competing against yourselves not bunka. is that wise? i don't think so!

if your party is for the 23 and older crowd why would they leave DEKO to go to 18 and over night at abyss which is packed but not the upscale crowd you are quote/unquote shooting for..

now let's briefly compare the dj's....richie santana(resident) and denny once a month or whenever....they are pretty much big room dj's so is their style of playing, (which is great), appropriate for the DEKO lounge and would their followings go to that venue..

now kip and myself have been working together at Hunka saturdays for about 10 or 11 years....we cater to people who work all week and go out one night a week to let loose....we play commercial early and progressive late...

as far as Hunka losing steam last year, i thought we did pretty good considering 2 of the largest buildings in NYC were destroyed, 10's of thousands of people losing their jobs from that event, sayreville inflicting a 2 o'clock closing, and the outerbridge crossing being closed......those are tough odds for all clubs but we survived....some clubs have to resort to 18 and over every night if you know what i'm sayin'....not us!

as for us(bunka) surviving on only one night a week.....doesn't abyss do that.....summer (wednesday is the night), winter (sat is the night).i think some of you inexperienced so-called promoters should think before you make a stupid comment like that..

friday's at bunka this year are gonna be geared toward's live entertainment (bands and national acts)..the likes of big orange cone, benjamins ect.....any NATIONAL ACTS that pass through we can take due to our size of our venue.....

HUNKA WILL OPEN THE LAST WEEK OF SEPTEMBER OR THE FIRST WEEK IN OCTOBER...BECAUSE D'JAIS(WHICH OWNS BUNKA) HAD THE BEST SUMMER IN IT'S HISTORY, WE ARE KEEPING D'JAIS OPEN UNTIL THE 3RD SATURDAY OF SEPTEMBER...

KIRK LOPEZ

:blown:

Personally...I like both venues. I have partied and worked at both. I agree with some of what you said, but you do come off a little harsh.:D I don't think that Deko was out to compete with Bunka...b/c in all honesty it can't. Even if they stole the whole crowd ..I ask where the hell would they put everyone??? Bunka is a club...deko is a lounge I believe that the competition should stop right there. One of the major reasons why Deko will be good is because its new, and has a different atmosphere than any other club.lounge in the area. Plus I don't think Thursday will be hurt from Saturdays b/c it is a different night with I am pretty sure with new ideas. I have to give it to Deko for having such a strong Thursday considering promotion was by word of mouth. I didn't see mass distribution...people came b/c they liked the intimate feel, and very chill feeling it brought to the table. Where as Bunka has had the original dressed up Saturday for how long...and it will continue...case closed.:D

OH yeah as far as decor. hmmm my bathroom has chrome and brass with porcelin fixtures and marble floors. HMMM i dont give a shit. ( just being a ball buster kirk dont take it serious)

Only complaint about bunka is i like it there but my friends hate going say its all 18 yr olds. Hmm ca we get some mid 20 sometings in therer this winter.

KIRK LOPEZ

:bounce: WAHOOO. . .CANT WAIT. . .I MISS THE BUNKA CREW (Barker/Bon) and with you (Kirk) and Rydell . . .how can you not like BUNKA more :bounce: I like Deko too, but not to crasy about the music when I went...:rolleyes:

you cant compare the two. two totally different atmospheres. Deko isnt in compatition w bunka, they're a lounge and dont claim to be what bunka is. I enjoy the two of them. especially when the are body painting a beauthiful women at deko!!!! :D And bunka on sat night during the winter is full of fine women. GOD BLESS JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! juice

Originally posted by doubleplay1970

OH yeah as far as decor. hmmm my bathroom has chrome and brass with porcelin fixtures and marble floors. HMMM i dont give a shit. ( just being a ball buster kirk dont take it serious)

Only complaint about bunka is i like it there but my friends hate going say its all 18 yr olds. Hmm ca we get some mid 20 sometings in therer this winter.

tell your friends to go on a sat. when its 21 for the ladies. duh...

Originally posted by sexyinthecity

Personally...I like both venues. I have partied and worked at both. I agree with some of what you said, but you do come off a little harsh.:D I don't think that Deko was out to compete with Bunka...b/c in all honesty it can't. Even if they stole the whole crowd ..I ask where the hell would they put everyone??? Bunka is a club...deko is a lounge I believe that the competition should stop right there. One of the major reasons why Deko will be good is because its new, and has a different atmosphere than any other club.lounge in the area. Plus I don't think Thursday will be hurt from Saturdays b/c it is a different night with I am pretty sure with new ideas. I have to give it to Deko for having such a strong Thursday considering promotion was by word of mouth. I didn't see mass distribution...people came b/c they liked the intimate feel, and very chill feeling it brought to the table. Where as Bunka has had the original dressed up Saturday for how long...and it will continue...case closed.:D

:clap2:

Lounge, Club.............. Apple ............... Orange................

as for Djais having the best summer ever, I will happily give some of that credit to my shore house............

combined plus peeps we brought in, I'd say we spent about 10 grand and spent 90% of our nights in there...........

;)

Originally posted by tyco

as for Djais having the best summer ever, I will happily give some of that credit to my shore house............

combined plus peeps we brought in, I'd say we spent about 10 grand and spent 90% of our nights in there...........

;)

i love peeps..those little yellow marshmallow bunny things? mmmmm peeps.

i love this thread....good stuff kirk

yo you kicked my butt last weekend man....i gave up drinking cause of that night..lol

and as for my comments about Bunka....Bunka is going to be HUGE this winter just like DJais has been HUGE all summer. One pet peeve though is they need to go casual. None of this "the original Dressed Up Saturday night"....this is 2002 and people like to relax and enjoy the music in casual clothes. I seriously Bunka would double their attendance on both Friday and Saturday if they went casual (Fridays may have been casual already...not sure)

Scarlet you listening????????? Tell Big Brother!

Guest bonsolidd

KIRK LOPEZ

My thoughts exactly Kirk! PLUS it looks like there party's are no longer held at Abyss? OUT OF STEAM PERHAPS?;)

Originally posted by bonsolidd

My thoughts exactly Kirk! PLUS it looks like there party's are no longer held at Abyss? OUT OF STEAM PERHAPS?;)

What does this supposed to mean? Why be shady about it...just come out and say what you mean??

D'JAIS(WHICH OWNS BUNKA) HAD THE BEST SUMMER IN IT'S HISTORY

actually DJais is in the process of HAVING it's best summer ever (it's not over yet)... I will positively say that I am having the best times at DJais EVERY time I go there this year, each time is better than the last, like Tyco I will have to attribute that to my awesome crowd of friends and the best bartenders/bouncers/DJ's/promoters/barbacks/emcees that a club could ever have!!! :D :D

I love all of you guys and I can't wait for the summer to continue... and for Bunka to open for a guaranteed AMAZING fall/winter!!!

Just in case people are waiting for my comment. I dont have one. The proof is in the product. As all of you know Kirk and I are like peanut butter and jelly. We do alot of great things together and Kirk can have his opinion just like everyone on the board. As I have said before yes there will be alot of the same customers between both spots and that is definite when there are two clubs 5 minutes apart from each other. But I feel there is enough for everyone. We all know the same people and there will be times where a person will go to Bunka and there will be times when that same person will go to DEKO. Our biggest competitor in Sayreville is the 2 oclock closing as well as NYC. If both clubs show their customers a great product maybe we can overcome the 2 am thing as well as NYC.

BTW, Richie Rydell will be at DEKO. Date already confirmed.

Originally posted by bonsolidd

Bon thats totally not cool! Out of steam considering that Bunka is down to one night a week, and thats not even packed anymore? Seriously this is ridiculous. Both parties are aiming for something different...let it rest. Enjoy both:D