Clubplanet Nightlife Community

baseball negotiations...

Who?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who?

• Owners
    • Players
    • Dont Give A Shit...

regardless who's right and who's wrong... the strike will kill the sport.

most believe that only thing that revived baseball from the last strike was the homerun race between Mac and sosa.... and plus, tv rating and game attendance was at all time high when the last strike happend. Now its average bodering mediocre.

also another prime example is the NBA. they still haven't recovered from their last strike. Even MJ can't save basketball, who's gonna save baseball?

They're both lying cheating bastards, but I'm closer to the owners. There's no reason that baseball teams payrolls should be twice as high as Football teams, especially when football makes more money, has more players on the team, and has greater physical wear and tear.

Just something funny though, sort of proves that Bud Selig is lying. According to MLB, 29 of the 30 teams are losing $$ this year, yet the owners are pushing for a revenue sharing luxury tax. If everyone's losing money anyway, that wouldn't even help. Anyway, the owners aren't including merchandise sales in their figures...

What a way to rape and pillage an american symbol and pastime that is baseball....these tightass businessman that prance around on the hopes of americans who just want to play the game and not be corrupted by the politics of it all should be ashamed of themselves then let loose into the wrath of the fans.

Playing baseball should be a dream not a contract.

:flame:

Originally posted by brickhouse

They're both lying cheating bastards, but I'm closer to the owners. There's no reason that baseball teams payrolls should be twice as high as Football teams, especially when football makes more money, has more players on the team, and has greater physical wear and tear.

Just something funny though, sort of proves that Bud Selig is lying. According to MLB, 29 of the 30 teams are losing $$ this year, yet the owners are pushing for a revenue sharing luxury tax. If everyone's losing money anyway, that wouldn't even help. Anyway, the owners aren't including merchandise sales in their figures...

i once asked the same question (why baseball and basketball players alike) get more money than football.. answer: they play more games! although i do argue that football is def more wear and tear.. and the avg career is far less than baseball.

and yes, i totall agree that there should be a cap in baseball. i think (and i am not quite sure ) that its something like the past 8 out of 10 world series winners have also been the highest paid team! i mean, the marlins i think were the first to prove that you can buy a championship! hehgehe, even more reason why i love football! :D

Originally posted by nycchic24

i once asked the same question (why baseball and basketball players alike) get more money than football.. answer: they play more games! although i do argue that football is def more wear and tear.. and the avg career is far less than baseball.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't make more money, since their season is longer and they play more games, but it's still ludicrous that the average baseball player makes almost twice as much as the average football player. Do the math...Average baseball payroll is about $64 million for a 40 man roster (25 active at any given time). Football salary cap is $55 million for a 59 man roster (53 active at a given time, 6 practice squad, plus about 5 IR). Especially considering that baseball doesn't cut short your life span, while football does...

Originally posted by ghhhhhost

of course ur not a sports faN Ya lanky bastard ...:tongue: ...jus fuckn around...Whats doin in the hills?? ill b home on the 22nd....meet me @ bello's so we can scope the jewish chix 2getha ;)

lol absolutely... (btw i am a sports fan just not of these conventional sports... i snowboard,surf,etc.)

Originally posted by brickhouse

I'm not saying that they shouldn't make more money, since their season is longer and they play more games, but it's still ludicrous that the average baseball player makes almost twice as much as the average football player. Do the math...Average baseball payroll is about $64 million for a 40 man roster (25 active at any given time). Football salary cap is $55 million for a 59 man roster (53 active at a given time, 6 practice squad, plus about 5 IR). Especially considering that baseball doesn't cut short your life span, while football does...

i am def not arguing against football players getting more money. (just wanted to point it out, when i asked the same question a couple years ago myself) :) i am def "pro" -football , but more so for college ball :laugh: (go gators!)

sigh.. thank god you dont see strikes with college athletics (although there are tons of ohter issue in the ncaa:rolleyes: ) but a strike is shot in the foot to both parties. its all about money - and in the long run both parties will lose so much more money in the long run. :blown:

Originally posted by gothzane

How many professional baseball players would still play if the maximum salary was caped to $30 K a year?

lol very true.. but then again to argue against your pt -- look at the kids (and adults) in the minor leagues playing for as little as $18K. they are def chasing the dream, then chasing the money

I know im speaking against the nature of people and the ways things work when i say that such pastimes should be played for the sport themselves not for the overdone fluff thats comes with it.

It just bothers me a little to see baseball players go on strike when there are people starving, dying, barely getting through.

This american dream is turning into a nightmare.

Originally posted by nycchic24

lol very true.. but then again to argue against your pt -- look at the kids (and adults) in the minor leagues playing for as little as $18K. they are def chasing the dream, then chasing the money

i think of all the money wasted on paying players ridiculous salaries and all the money wasted on stadiums and all the money wasted on advertising during tv broadcasts and re-broadcasts and all the money wasted on sponsoring and supporting a sport that's continued simply because "it's an american pasttime" and i feel sick. no one's asking "why not let it just go away" - well? why not? what good is it? really?!