Clubplanet Nightlife Community

College Football Saturday!!!!!!!

stillrollin

The Big 12 is looking good this year .. Texas is not going to happen and neither is Nebraska ... Oklahoma is looking top's there. The Hurricanes are going to make a strong run at the championship but they have been bitten by the injuy bug and their secondary has a starting true freshman ...

GO CANES!

Originally posted by digital7

It's all about the

C ..

A ..

N ..

E ..

S ......

CANES

Damn right it is! Thank god for college football.

I know it will be a laugher, but I'm still very excited about going to the Orange Bowl next Saturday to see the Canes play FL A&M. And then the next week.......the damned Gainesville Swamp Lizards.......not going to be a happy camper if we lose that game, not at all!

Originally posted by patrickl

Damn right it is! Thank god for college football.

I know it will be a laugher, but I'm still very excited about going to the Orange Bowl next Saturday to see the Canes play FL A&M. And then the next week.......the damned Gainesville Swamp Lizards.......not going to be a happy camper if we lose that game, not at all!

Be sure you catch the halftime show at the UM-FAMU game...The FAMU band is the most entertaining band of all college marching bands.....and on the other hand, the UM band is smaller than the smallest high school band in Dade county.....they used to allow kids that did not attend UM to march in the band(like I did ten years ago), and we were still a small band(approximately 200 members ten years ago)...but now UM is only allowing UM students to be in the band so now they have close to 100 members....pathetic.....UM has the only marching band that has to have a microphone put on them in the stands so the fans could hear them.....just so you have an idea....FSU and UF bands have approximately 400 members each.....anyways what I was saying was to check out the FAMU band....they're quite a show....

Originally posted by meng

Be sure you catch the halftime show at the UM-FAMU game...The FAMU band is the most entertaining band of all college marching bands.....and on the other hand, the UM band is smaller than the smallest high school band in Dade county.....they used to allow kids that did not attend UM to march in the band(like I did ten years ago), and we were still a small band(approximately 200 members ten years ago)...but now UM is only allowing UM students to be in the band so now they have close to 100 members....pathetic.....UM has the only marching band that has to have a microphone put on them in the stands so the fans could hear them.....just so you have an idea....FSU and UF bands have approximately 400 members each.....anyways what I was saying was to check out the FAMU band....they're quite a show....

Yeah, you don't have to tell me, I marched with them for one year! The UM band always kinda stunk.......ever since I started going to the games in the early 80s, the band was unimpressive. I bet I marched with you that year......it was the year of Hurricane Andrew and us going to the Sugar Bowl and getting our asses kicked. We weren't that great but at least back then I felt they were trying. The last few years, it's like the band doesn't even try anymore. Even then I still felt my high school band had a lot more talent, and attempted riskier, more complex routines and music.

As for FAMU.....I never really cared for that style.......that high-stepping marching doesn't do it for me, whether it's FAMU or FSU Marching Chiefs. I always liked the swift, smooth precision of drum corps like Santa Clara and Phantom Regiment.....that stuff was hot back in the early 90s. And those guys could freaking flat out PLAY.......they weren't all that huge in number but the sound was big.

I was there that year dude...My first year there was when we beat Nebraska for the national title......then the next year we got housed by Alabama in the Sugar...then the next year we got shut out in the Fiesta bowl 26-0 by fucking Arizona, and my last year we lost to Nebrasks in the Orange.....

I played the quints in the drumline....what did you play?

Originally posted by meng

I was there that year dude...My first year there was when we beat Nebraska for the national title......then the next year we got housed by Alabama in the Sugar...then the next year we got shut out in the Fiesta bowl 26-0 by fucking Arizona, and my last year we lost to Nebrasks in the Orange.....

I played the quints in the drumline....what did you play?

I was a trumpet player. You guys weren't bad at all.......I just wished they'd vary the cadence a little. I can't believe they are STILL playing the same moldy old cadences......hell the one they play had been around a few years already even in 1992!

I wonder if there's anyone well-versed in electronic music, breakbeats, etc, in marching bands.........seems to me people should be coming up with some bad-ass cadences. But I haven't heard any. Oh well, that's one thing FAMU band will probably give me Saturday, some beats that actually make you want to move. Damn, why haven't marching bands been mining the world of breakbeats yet? I could think of some real kick ass stuff potentially being built around some simple breakbeats..........

yeah dude, we had that same cadence......sucked....we had about 10 cadences in Coral Park High and 2 in UM....sucked.....and the stand music was the worst....the drumline was alright that first year but we got way better throughout those 4 years.....the FAMU band just blasts....they're not tight musically...it's just a show.....I remember one of our halftime themes that year was Star Wars and ET.......it was Mike Mann's first year as band director also.....what a dick that guy was.....he hated me...I hated him.....

"...and this one time, at band camp.."

:D