Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Avalon Fri

kaydup

I don't know if it is because school is back in or what. But the crowd on Friday blew big ass. It was packed but it was one weird crowd there. And I wasn't the only one saying this, everyone that is usually there said the same thing to me. Had an alright time, but I had two people there with me that are not usually into clubs. So it made it tough because I wanted to break free and dance some.

TeamJ - Two months off was dropped in Avalon and you missed it, how was Montreal??

Originally posted by kaydup

I don't know if it is because school is back in or what. But the crowd on Friday blew big ass. B]

I went through Avalon twice and wanted to kill myself - we ended up spending the entire night in Axis which wasn't bad. It had to be the college crowd because even though it was so packed, the bars weren't crazy. Oh, and can someone please explain the sunglasses thing to me? F'king ridiculous!

hah ! Tall Paul played 2 months off? Good thing I left early.

This weekend has caused some sort of permanent damage to me....we'll see to what extent in a few days. h:Foundation killed it, sunday was no laughing matter either.

they should offer warnings before you go listen to this much tech house.

Originally posted by teamj5

hah ! Tall Paul played 2 months off? Good thing I left early.

This weekend has caused some sort of permanent damage to me....we'll see to what extent in a few days. h:Foundation killed it, sunday was no laughing matter either.

they should offer warnings before you go listen to this much tech house.

Warning: This much tech house will make you exceedingly happy, have you dancing for hours, and could quite possibly cause internal injury.

There ya go!

I was in freaking heaven on Sunday. Tech house is definitely my favorite and it's rare that we hear good, consistent tech house in these parts. Actually, I was spoiled last week between Montreal and Steve Bug at Phoenix.

Oh, and Stacey Pullen... unreal, he almost stole the show. But Terry Francis held it out in the end (do you know what that last song was?). What a great night... could've done without the Christian Smith though, but what can ya do? He was just a bit too harsh for me.

Stacey Pullen was nasty :eek: Shit had me shakin it non stop...and I was functioning on 45 minutes of sleep.

Christian Smith wasnt so bad. He actually was kind of techy at first...but then kicked in to his normal hard techno. He is a blast to watch spin though...he gets so into it.

Terry Francis was tops in my eyes. Not the best techincal set but what a beautiful set he played.

Kenny Glasgow...wow....too bad you guys didnt stay longer. He had one of the best put together sets of the night...very good job. Electro-tech house at its finest...with some more housey toons mixed in.

Seriously...I am still in a daze from this weekend. I have not listened to any music at all this week...I just have no desire. Advanced 01 hurt me !

Mark this date on your calendars...this is the next road trip

sashaaria.jpg

Yeah, no one had me moving like Stacey Pullen. I would love to see that guy again... watching him on the decks was awesome too. He kept looking up, so I asked Tom if he was looking at some DJ thing, and he's like "No dude, he's just feeling it". The guy was working three decks for a long, long time... and it looked like he did it effortlessly.

The first few songs Christian Smith played were great, but the he just got way too hard for me. I couldn't get into it.. I tried to get out on the dance floor a couple of times after hearing songs I liked, but as soon as I made my way down there, he'd follow up with HARD, HARD beats... too much. Too annoying for me.

Tom and I were talking about Terry Francis' set last night. He was just playing some awesome, awesome songs. Tom's got a good ear for the stuff, and a good memory for songs and he was kind of singing some back to me last night and it just made me realize how good some of those tracks were. I would kill for a copy of that set!

I was loving the first few songs I heard from Kenny Glasgow, but our party was HURTING at that point. I really didn't want to leave, but we had a long drive ahead of us. Electro + Tech House with a little house mixed in = right up my alley. Oh well.... there's always next time. What's his deal, does he play at Aria a lot? He's not a resident, it he? All of those DJs were superb... really, really legitimately awesome. I wish we had something like that down here.

In our conversation last night we decided that Aria was hands-down the best club we had been to since Twilo. Every component is there.. music, crowd (although zombie-like, ZERO meathead factor and everyone was very friendly), the sound is good, but could use a phazon to really push it over the edge. Oh, this is my ONLY complaint of the night... Aria looks like it has the best light rig I've ever seen. The laser is awesome, the floor lights are insane, and the 8 light pods that can vary height... SICK. They lit 'em up for a while during Pullen's set and I almost lost my shit.. especially with the floor lights, which they turned on exactly once. I was anticipating a huge build with the lights, and thought I was going to be blown away by the end of the night, but just the opposite happened. They used less and less of them as the night went on :( I understand that it's afterhours, and afterhours doesn't really equal crazy light show, but I wanted to see what that place could do. Fortunately, I'm positive that they'll put on a good show for the next big trip up there!

Kenny Glasgow is from Toronto...i'm not sure how often he comes to Montreal but i'll be keeping my eyes open for when he does. I'm certain Stacey Pullen will be back there soon as the owner was quite impressed with his set.

The lights were not that good either this past weekend, I agree. I noticed a new light guy up there so I take it that is why. In the past the lights have been superb.....they flow nicely with the music and as the night gets later they fit the music and mood very well. This weekend wasnt the case...they just kind of went out totally out of sync doing the same random things all night. Total waste because they have the best lights out of any club ive been to (since twilo)

I think their sound is awesome in there. I think its better than arc's....just because it isnt phazon doesnt mean it isnt good. It's a Meyer sound system which is mainly used for theatres and orchestra type deals. Awesome range ! They added a ton of other speakers to up the bass factor. It doesn't hit you as hard as Stereos does....but its pretty decent. Thats the only thing holding it back as being the best.

I love Aria more than any other club out there but I wont go proclaiming it....it's an underground place that people go to to straight up party....not hang out and socialize or drool over the dj or whatever. Aside from the house dealers....everyone else is there to dance and party their asses off.....a true underground feel. The longer it gets kept "hidden" the better. So I tend not to advertise how great it is too often :)