Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Banner ads and popups

shroomy

OK I hear a lot of bitching and moaning about popups and banner ads so I thought I would share a way to get rid of most of them, since I know a bunch of you are on low bandwidth connections aka modems.

Step 1)

Use notepad to open the file C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

No there is no extension it is just called hosts.

Step 2)

Add the following 3 lines to the bottom of the file

127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

127.0.0.1 m.doubleclick.net

127.0.0.1 m2.doubleclick.com

Step 3)

Save the file

If your browser is open, close it. When you reopen it you shouldn’t get any banner ads or popups.

It should work for at least 90% of you, if it doesn’t you need to enable LMHOSTS lookups on the WINS tab in your TCP/IP settings.

(which is different for each operating system so Im not going to list a way for each)

yeah, the easiest thing is to do a search for hosts.

Under the start button (lower left) do a SEARCH for FILES and FOLDERS.

In the box that says "Search for files and folders" just type hosts

dont type any periods or *'s.

It should chug a bit and then find it. But it is probabally in your winnt directory or winnt/system32

Originally posted by shroomy

OK I hear a lot of bitching and moaning about popups and banner ads so I thought I would share a way to get rid of most of them, since I know a bunch of you are on low bandwidth connections aka modems.

Step 1)

Use notepad to open the file C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

No there is no extension it is just called hosts.

Step 2)

Add the following 3 lines to the bottom of the file

127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

127.0.0.1 m.doubleclick.net

127.0.0.1 m2.doubleclick.com

Step 3)

Save the file

If your browser is open, close it. When you reopen it you shouldn’t get any banner ads or popups.

It should work for at least 90% of you, if it doesn’t you need to enable LMHOSTS lookups on the WINS tab in your TCP/IP settings.

(which is different for each operating system so Im not going to list a way for each)

I'm a little confused with the last part of your post shrooms. Isn't LMHOSTS for netbios names? Local Machine Hosts files are for microsoft networks. I thought tcp/ip was programmed to look for a hosts file before it hits a DNS server.

BTW, very clever resolving those popup servers to a loopback address.

Originally posted by georgeacasta2

I'm a little confused with the last part of your post shrooms. Isn't LMHOSTS for netbios names? Local Machine Hosts files are for microsoft networks. I thought tcp/ip was programmed to look for a hosts file before it hits a DNS server.

BTW, very clever resolving those popup servers to a loopback address.

On win2K TCP/IP will not look at the hosts file unless you have the enabled LMHOSTS Lookup checked, it will with 95 and 98 though. Go figure :confused:

and as GA said, what you are really doing is telling your PC to look locally for anything from doubleclick, since it cant find it, it will just be blank. Much quicker too.

Originally posted by shroomy

On win2K TCP/IP will not look at the hosts file unless you have the enabled LMHOSTS Lookup checked, it will with 95 and 98 though. Go figure :confused:

I guess microsoft changed the stack for win2k and forced LMHOSTS lookups to happen everytime HOSTS lookups happen. I don't understand the point of it though :confused: If your not on a microsoft network LMHOSTS lookups are a waste of time.

Guest saleen351

rookies.... why only stop these ads. just download pop up stopper for free and block every ad on the net........... also make sure you guys run adware..... i run mine everyweek to get rid of spyware.............

Originally posted by saleen351

rookies.... why only stop these ads. just download pop up stopper for free and block every ad on the net........... also make sure you guys run adware..... i run mine everyweek to get rid of spyware.............

because it blocks all sorts of stuff that I want to get through, not to mention that it is a trojan horse that can be exploted by a good hacker if they know you have it. (like me ;) btw can you say unchecked bufferoverflow?) you are much better off with a program like ZoneAlarm Pro.

rookie!? :rolleyes:

I know computers like you know masterbation.