Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Job Search Help Needed

I'm starting my job search now for when I graduate in may so I can make sure I get out of this godforsaken state of pennsylvania. I'm looking for any computer or electrical engineering work - I would prefer to work in nyc, but I would accept work in the surrounding areas if I can't find anything there. My school's career services & job fair has plenty of jobs, but most of them are in PA/NJ/MD so I need to look elsewhere. Any suggestions? What about job fairs at nyc universities that have a decent engineering program so they attract employers looking for engineers (I don't know which schools do)... or a list of the biggest employers in nyc (which would probably have software & IT jobs)... or job websites such as monster.com - I don't really know of any besides that.

Any help is appreciated - thnx in advance.

Originally posted by gmoneyjive

I'm starting my job search now for when I graduate in may so I can make sure I get out of this godforsaken state of pennsylvania. I'm looking for any computer or electrical engineering work - I would prefer to work in nyc, but I would accept work in the surrounding areas if I can't find anything there. My school's career services & job fair has plenty of jobs, but most of them are in PA/NJ/MD so I need to look elsewhere. Any suggestions? What about job fairs at nyc universities that have a decent engineering program so they attract employers looking for engineers (I don't know which schools do)... or a list of the biggest employers in nyc (which would probably have software & IT jobs)... or job websites such as monster.com - I don't really know of any besides that.

Any help is appreciated - thnx in advance.

hate to break this to you but ECE jobs in nyc (manhattan) are just about non-existent. the only things you can hope to find is software engineering, working for mostly financial firms. all other stuff is in either jersey, long island, or upstate ny.

i see a job or two for actual ECE stuff in nyc pop up, maybe 2 jobs or month something like that....but it's ALWAYS for intermediate/senior level positions, with at least 3 years experience....no one's looking for fresh out of college kids. keep looking, but you're more likely to find something through recruiting at your school or through your alumni network.....not from job websites.

Originally posted by hitokiri24

YO son where u been ain t see ur ass in a min WTF !!! now u wan a job?!?!?! mad greedy yo jk i dunno what to tell u tho i can tell u is good luck on huntin for a job its hard tho believe me best of luck :hat:

Wut up bro!! yeah I haven't been out recently because my internship ended at the end of the summer, and no internship = no money, no money = not being able to come to nyc & go clubbing.... :( I do want to come in about once a month tho (although I'd like to come in a lot more often than that)... I'm thinking about making a possible return for picotto, and then maybe a tiesto, pvd or cox... ;) I can't do them all, but I wanna try to hit up at least 2 of them. I'm not being entirely selfish by not coming out for a while and then posting about help finding a job - I'm only doing this so I can find a job and then come out all the time. :D

Originally posted by dr0ne

hate to break this to you but ECE jobs in nyc (manhattan) are just about non-existent. the only things you can hope to find is software engineering, working for mostly financial firms. all other stuff is in either jersey, long island, or upstate ny.

i see a job or two for actual ECE stuff in nyc pop up, maybe 2 jobs or month something like that....but it's ALWAYS for intermediate/senior level positions, with at least 3 years experience....no one's looking for fresh out of college kids. keep looking, but you're more likely to find something through recruiting at your school or through your alumni network.....not from job websites.

werd... you're not breaking it to me - I've long heard that there are very few ECE jobs in nyc. :( But I've realized that I want to (and will) live there next year no matter what the employment situation is. I could easily take an ECE job with Honeywell (who I just interned with) and live in East Bumblefuck, PA... but I'd much rather make a career comprimise and live where I want to live. So as you said, I guess I'm mainly looking for software jobs (even IT if I have to, although I don't like IT at all). Since I posted that first post, I've found a ton of job websites (i.e. dice, monster, careerbuilder, ajb, engineerjobs, computerjobs, etc...), but I'm still looking for colleges that might have job fairs with employers looking for engineers, and I'm looking for some kind of list of the biggest employers in nyc (which would most likely have software jobs).