Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Digital Camera ? recommendations?

HEy - I'm going to Europe and was thinking of picking up a digital camera, but I'd like to keep it cheap....

any recommendations? brands/models/places to get them?

Is it worth getting a $200 digi camera or is the quality not that good?

I have a nice 35MM - is it that much more convenient to have a digital cam? any considerations?

THANKS!:)

depends if you like to have a lot of control over your photos..i happen to take 1000's photos and i love my Nikon Coolpix 995..it has every manual option and lens attachments available...definatly great for vacations..i got one 256MB card and i didnt fill during my week in Florida and i take a lot of pictures! Check out my site www.ctnrg.com I take tons of pictures at raves and clubs when possible and everything on there is the work of the Nikon...but its about 600 bucks right now.

Personally I wouldnt buy a 200 dollar digi cam, the quality just isnt worth it yet..maybe in a year or two..but right now its not even close to 35mm in the 500-800 range they are well worth the value though.

i just bought the Sony digital camera (i will check the model id) it was $279 and then i bought a 128 memory stick and another set of rechargeable batteries. i love it! and everyone was pretty iimpressed with the quality of pictures that came out too! its 2.1 megapixel and has optical and digital zoom.

drop me a pm and i will check the model out when i get home and email someo fthe pics that i took with it. :)

good luck

Originally posted by rocksteadyct

depends if you like to have a lot of control over your photos..i happen to take 1000's photos and i love my Nikon Coolpix 995..it has every manual option and lens attachments available...definatly great for vacations..i got one 256MB card and i didnt fill during my week in Florida and i take a lot of pictures! Check out my site www.ctnrg.com I take tons of pictures at raves and clubs when possible and everything on there is the work of the Nikon...but its about 600 bucks right now.

Personally I wouldnt buy a 200 dollar digi cam, the quality just isnt worth it yet..maybe in a year or two..but right now its not even close to 35mm in the 500-800 range they are well worth the value though.

I've got the Nikon Coolpix 885 with 256mb storage(cost $80). Back in March of last year the camera was $400. I'm sure it is cheaper now. It is great, nice crisp shots, not too big either. I went to Cali over the summer and took 570 shots, about 50% of the total storage at medium resolution. Gluck!

Originally posted by darrellg

The Nikon Coolpix 2500 is a great camera for the price.

I've been trying to get one off eBay.

Retail price is $300, but they've been selling on eBay for $200.

Check it out.

NKCP25001SMALL.jpg

http://www.nikonusa.com/usa_product/product.jsp?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25502

i looked at that too.. only thing is that its not compatible with windows 98 !! (which i have) so that automatically eliminated that for me. :blank:

and btw.. its the sony dsc-p51

Originally posted by nycchic24

i looked at that too.. only thing is that its not compatible with windows 98 !! (which i have) so that automatically eliminated that for me. :blank:

and btw.. its the sony dsc-p51

Q. My computer is running Mac OS 8.6, Windows 95 or Windows 98, is there any chance I can use my Coolpix camera ?

A. Nikon View 5 as well as bundle software packages require Windows 98SE, Mac OS 9 or later in order to provide many new functions which are only available on newer OS. To enjoy full use of the Nikon digital system, we recommend that you to up grade your OS. However even if you do not want to update, you can still transfer images from your camera to the computer with the following two methods.

a) If your OS is Macintosh, just simply connect your Coolpix camera to your computer without installing Nikon View software. Some computers will recognize your camera as an external hard disk and the camera will mount on your desktop. You can just copy image files from the camera to your hard disk by using drag and drop.

B) If above does not work, or your OS is a Windows 95 or Windows 98, use an appropriate card reader that is available in the market. If your computer is a laptop and it has a card slot (PCMCIA card slot), you can use a CF-PC (compact flash to PCMCIA card adapter to put your CF card into the card slot. Once the CF card is in the reader or the card slot, you can copy image files from the camera to your hard disk by using drag and drop.

Originally posted by rocksteadyct

If your talking about the pics on my site from the 995, dont judge the quality of them other than color! They have been compressed greatly to go on the page. On my 256MB card i get about 200 shots before it fills and those are like 2000x1500 (3.3MP) great quality for even 8x10's

I see, I haven't done too many high Q. Dig. Pix, so not sure of results. And I think u can get 5, 6 mp cameras now, but thier like 2g's or more$$$$