Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Psych. Majors

mala

I'm a psych major...I attend Sacred Heart University. I'm taking a fairly different approach. Rather than consueling, I hope to get my masters in forensic psychology at John Jay...however, I still have a year and a half of undergrad left. I love psychology. Everything I learn in all of my courses, I can apply to myself, others, my life, and where I am headed right now.

i have a BS in psych/bio and am currently conducting human chemical senses research.

i've taken the GRE... i think i have a post on that somewhere...

sxyaznchiq

Clubber

i took the GRE about a year ago. was the second time i tested actually. i went through the kaplan course and my score improved about 250points.

taking a course like princeton review or kaplan will teach you HOW to take the test - it wont teach you about the subject matter. if you're thinking of going to grad school, you should have already learned that part on your own. those courses will force you to study and take the practice tests over and over and over again.

advice? start preparing EARLY. a couple of months in advance is good. the more practice tests you take, the more comfortable you'll be come test day.

tricks? the logic part might seem intimidating at first, but the more you do, the easier they become. kaplan teaches you ways to draw out and diagram things so you have a visual when analyzing the problems.

what REALLY sucks about the GRE now is that its all on computer. the questions get harder as the number of questions you get correct increase and vice versa. when you feel the questions getting easier, you kind of get this panicky "oh no im fucking up!" feeling and may cause you even more stress. you're also testing in a room with a bunch of people who may not even be taking the GRE too. the proctors dont start everyone at the same time, so there may be people getting up and down for the duration of your test. i had this one girl next to me typing a writting sample while i was on my verbal section. it was ANNOYING hearing her bang away on her keyboard while i was trying to read a comprehension passage.

you're not allowed to bring ANYTHING inside the testing room. they provide you with pencils and paper. you should ask for extra paper and an extra pencil before the test starts so youre not wasting time once the clock is ticking away.

hope this helps you guys. good luck!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

08-06-2002 02:34 PM

im a psych major... at Monmouth University in Jersey. i just declared it at the end of last year :im a junior now: so im just starting all my psych courses... im in child psych now... not too crazy about it... im more into abnormal psych... im gonna probably continue in grad school here... im comfortable in this school and they have a good graduate program so, we'll see what happens.

Originally posted by divagrl03

i'm not exactly sure what i want or need to specialize in but i know that i want to work with kids with autism..i read this article once about boy with autism and how his family struggles with it and ever since i've been very intrigued by it.

depends on which angle you want to tackle this issue from. you could go into child/adolesent counseling, special education, developmental psych, etc etc etc. my first job ever in the psych field was in special education working with developmentally delayed children w/ severe behavior (agression/sib) and it taught me more than any course could. try to find somewhere you can volunteer/intern at (probably a hospital or some other type of inpatient facility)

the GREs (graduate record examination) is kind of like the SATs for graduate school.

Maybe I should answer my own question...I'm a junior studying applied psych at NYU. I want to study clinical in grad school. Right now I'm thinking about Teachers College at Columbia University. Its an extremely competitive program...very difficult to gain admittance. I think they offer less than 15 spots every year. I'm shopping around for other grad schools, but I'm not crazy about alot of the programs. I'm having GRE anxiety right now. I'm going to take the psych GRE in addition to the general one. Did anyone else take the psych one? My one tidbit of advice for you psych majors is to do as many internships as you can. Very important for grad school as well as finding your niche.

Hi. I'm an undergrad psy major @ Hunter College right now. I have 2 yrs left.. if I graduate on TIME. It's hard to get into classes here!! Anyways I know how important the internships are.. so I'm wondering where u guys did your internships. Any contact info will be appreciated.

I did an internship at Hillside Psychiatric Hospital in Glen Oaks, NY. Hillside is part of Long Island Jewish Medical Center. I worked in a locked ward with patients who had a dual diagnosis of mental illness and chemical abuse. It was a very rewarding and educational experience. I'm going to do another internship next semester. Probably another hospital.

Rose--if you're interesting in clinical, there are plenty of internships around. You can either call hospitals and ask for the volunteer services office, or make a visit to career services at your school.