Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Favorite areas of DC??

frost350

Just a question I thought I would ask.

I'm curious to know where in DC many of you would PREFER to party. I know the buzz-heads would go to Nation in SE, then theres the Adams Morgan people, Georgetown, wherever.

So where's your favorite areas? You don't really need to name venues. Do you like 14th, 18th, Adams Morgan, Georgetown, SE, NW, NE, SW?

Let me know. I'm sure this could get interesting.

Peace.

addams morgan...is it rosslyn or something past the bridge in va that has nice little outdoor cafes...georgetown is pretty much the same clones of people...

spot wise..anyone ever been to the kahlil gibran monument on mass ave directly across from the british embassy..so peaceful there.

I go where the music is. I would never go to Buzz just to go. We go to Adam's Morgan on Saturdays cuz Yiannis plays new shit (at least after 12:30 or so....), albeit circuit house.

Keep your eyes open, subscribe to all the BS email lists here. 85% is crap, but every few weeks something pops up.

We try to follow the DJs, fuck the venue. 1223, Modern, Velvet, Buzz, Red, 9:30 Club, Heaven, Five, Volt (remember that place?). I don't think I would go to place where I couldn't stand the music. And every bar owner in this town has their head up their ass except for maybe Thievery Corp.

Off topic a lil: That's why I think that comment from that chick representing BASIK was wrong. The club should not "focus on the music" so much as they should bring in DJs who focus on the music. I know that's prolly what she meant, but I just envisioned the club owner standing in the DJ booth staring over shoulder as you peruse your records.

In SE:

The now-defunct Buzz @Nation

Various Stellar and Stereo events at The Edge (probably Basik soon too).

In Adams Morgan:

Blue Room

Madams Organ (for Blues and Jazz)

In Georgetown:

Modern on Thursdays. Otherwise I stay far away from Georgetown.

Around 18th:

Dragonfly

Red

Lucky Bar

I'm sure I'll add others as I remember... :D

Don't get me wrong. I go to spots for the music and for DJs. I'm a dancer and like to go to spots where I can dance, no dress code, dope music, etc.

My point was, if you were to check out a new party, and didn't know much about it, where would you most likely check it out?

If you liked House, and saw it was a house party with no dress code, low/no cover, etc, which area of DC would you be more likely to check it out?

Adams Morgan, for example, is somewhat hard to bring people in because of the parking. Or Georgetown is more known for jiggy/dress code spots.

But your answers are well-received and I'm looking for more.

Thanks.

Peace

Well, parking is crappy everywhere - even down in SE.

I always thought that the 14th street corridor would be a good place to start a club. It's just sketchy enough, but still close to the main part of the city. The Saint and The Black Cat are there. In fact, there's an open building right across the street from Meta Track that would make an awesome place for a club.

There used to be a club right on 14th at the end of Swann Street - and it was a great space - but didn't fly. Wonder why?

I could be VERY wrong but that might be where Black Cat is now. If I understand correctly, Black Cat is now where Cage used to be. And I think that might be right next to 14th and Swann.

Not sure, I might not be on the same channel but that's what I gathered from going to the Antibalas show this past Saturday.

Parking isn't all that bad in that area but it is on the shady side. However in my opinion, parking is the worst in Adams Morgan. Even around Five and Red you can find close parking relative to Adams Morgan.

But I still like Adams Morgan area. Just got to get there early and expect to walk a couple blocks.

I like DuPont because it's close to my place, there aren't as many college dillholes (except on certain nites at certain places... *cough1223tuesdaycough*), and it contains Red :) Georgetown, although I live in it, irritates me (the joe/jane hoya syndome, right jonathan?) so I only go to Modern here, and other than that, it was always a long trek over to SE for Buzz.

Downtown - like 12th St. to 6th St. area between E and G streets... ewwww. The only thing I used to like there was Glow and I can't deal with that anymore. Toss in Platinum and you have yourself a big gaping shithole :blown:

ok, i saw it on an e-mail i got to oppose Jack Evans bill on putting more restrictions on dancing venues in DC.

Dear Friends

I want to let you know about a bill before the DC City Council that

could have a devastating impact on DC's live music, dance music and

poetry scenes. Proposed by Ware 2 City Council member Jack Evans, the

"Title 25 District of Columbia Official Code Restaurant Definition

Amendment Act of 2002" would effectively rid our city of most of its

venues for live music, poetry and dancing.

Here's how: Currently, the vast majority of DC's live music and

performance venues are licensed as restaurants. Evans's bill would

force these places to either stop hosting live performances for a

cover charge or to get "relicensed" as nightclubs if they want to

continue doing so. Places would also have to get relicensed as

nightclubs to keep hosting dance nights with a designated dance area

larger than a ten foot square.

The problem is ? and Evans and his friends on the council know this -

nightclub licenses in DC are extremely restrictive. DC's zoning laws

prevent nightclubs from being located in mixed use districts like

the

U street corridor, 18th street in Adams Morgan, Georgia Avenue, Mount

Pleasant street, Georgetown etc. Basically, there is virtually

nowhere

in the city where nightclubs are even allowed to exist. Evans bill is

a cynical ploy by a small groups of mean spirited, closed minded but

powerful DC residents to get rid of most of DC's live music and

dancing venues. It would have an especially devastating impact on

underground music, dance and poetry scenes that rely on these places

as cultural outlets.

There is a chance to stop this legislation. You can e-mail and call

all DC council members and tell them to oppose Bill 14-0520 and why.

Below, I've included the message I wrote my City Council member Jim

Graham who is sitting on the fence on this issue. It will have a big

impact if tons of us email and/or call all the DC City Council

members

and tell them we are opposed to this bill and why.

Also you can come show your opposition at the city council hearing on

Evans proposed legislation on Wednesday September 25th at the

District building, 1325 Pennsylvania Avenue. The hearing will be

conducted by Sharon Ambrose, Chairman of the Committee on Consumer

and Regulatory Affairs. Hope to see you there.

I thought dancing was already banned in DC. ha.

Can't go to Georgetown and b-boy without getting kicked out.

The reason we got this past Friday was "There are residents here. You can't do that."

On a FRIDAY night on the Waterfront, we couldn't DANCE because of the residents. Yet hundreds of loud, drunken fools can stumble and yell to each other around the same space we were dancing. THEN, they get to go to their cars, drunk, and drive on the streets, potentially killing pedestrians or other drivers.

But we can't just dance.

Sorry for the rant. Maybe for another thread.

Peace.

Originally posted by crank47

More info on the Jack Evans bill that would pretty much ban music and dancing in DC can be found here:

http://www.newcolumbia.net/opinions/evans-bill-position-paper.pdf

wow, great letter. but how does crap like this even make it this far in the legal process? Did people actually vote this jackass Evans into city council? anybody know the outcome of yesterday's hearing?

Originally posted by funkyfreshdc

wow, great letter. but how does crap like this even make it this far in the legal process? Did people actually vote this jackass Evans into city council? anybody know the outcome of yesterday's hearing?

Some people from the Buzz board went to the hearing on Wednesday, and here's the report:

From Descent:

"LATEST NEWS: I just got back from the City Council hearing. I left before it was over but the result was already known.

First, the good news. The Committee chair, Ambrose, stated that this bill will NOT go forward to be voted upon by the full council. It will die in this committee. There were over 40 people present, most were local business owners and some promoters were on-hand as well, and ALL were against the bill. The chairman (Woodson) of the ABC Board (liquor board, you know, the ones that caused the closing of Buzz) was also against this bill. However, his dislike stemmed from the fact that there is currently a task force reviewing all apsects of DC's licensing regulations and he believes that no action should be taken before that task force makes its recommendation. Evans, sponsor of the bill, reportedly back off his sponsorship due to this fact.

Now the bad news. A few speakers made it clear that they were very unhappy with the Council poised to adopt the recommendations of the task force without public comment. Apparently, this task force has been working behind closed doors and without input from your average citizen or even businesses. And the chairman could not affirmatively state whether there would be hearings once the task force's recommendations were made public.

So bottom line is, we won today but the fight is far from over. And just to give you an idea of what we're up against, Jack Evans, city council member from Ward 2, is quoted as saying "There is no place for nightclubs in DC." Please stay active in this fight! More info to follow as I get it..."