Clubplanet Nightlife Community

software sequencers: what do you use?

So i've finally given in and decided to incorporate some software into my little studio. I've just hooked up my USB/MIDI interface and now i'm looking for the software to drive it.

So the question is, what do YOU use? what have you found to be the pros/cons of each package you've tried out? what do you use as a controller (mouse, midi keyboard, sweet-ass logic control, etc. ed, i know you use your ms2k)

I'm especially interested in finding the right package with features geared towards live performance and improvisation. I'd like to use the laptop to control my hardware synths and tone generators, as opposed to getting heavy on the softsynths or as my primary mixer/recorder.

i can't believe i'm going software.... but i guess there's only so far you can take the hardware sequencers without pulling your hair out. i've been getting two note polyphony with my EA-1, and its time to get out of the playground.

Thanks for your input,

Rob

wow you are light years ahead of me..but i just started using fruity loops but from what ive heard Logic is the best...most of the "big" guys i know use Logic for everything. Dont know much about Live PA though..Im thinking about getting one of those little midi controller keyboards for softsyths/reason and whatnot..anyone have any exp with them? Prices/reviews?

if you're only gonna do sequencing, no softsynths, then cubase hands down. logic audio has better audio capabilities, but cubase has better midi. i haven't tried cubase sx but im only hearing good things about it. besides, if you used pc, there's no more logic for pc since they got bought out by apple.

cakewalk sonar also isn't a bad choice, cakewalk was one of the first midi sequencers for the pc, and it's pretty good. used to be cheaper before sonar came out (9.x), now it's about the same price. some people find sonar easier to use.

cubase can be a pain to get used to, but once you do, its great.

i've downloaded an "experimental" trial version (aka crack) of sx - let's see how it goes.

yeah originally i wanted to go for logic but that whole apple thing threw me for a loop. its pretty weak to drop an entire line like that - alienates a huge percentage of their market share.

my nextdoor neighbor is fucking right now and its getting on my nerves. i'm thinking of busing out the mic and sampling it. i hate this city.

peaz,

rob

I havent actually purchased it yet but ive done extensive research and reason 2.0 is an awesome package. you can definately run your midis off it and it also has drum machines, synths and just about everything else you need. for $279 why not have some flexibility and extra toys.

Originally posted by sloppy

I havent actually purchased it yet but ive done extensive research and reason 2.0 is an awesome package. you can definately run your midis off it and it also has drum machines, synths and just about everything else you need. for $279 why not have some flexibility and extra toys.

i don't like reason's sequencer.....the softsynths/samplers sound good, but the sequencer's way too goofy still, although much much better than that sorry excuse of a sequencer reason 1.0 had.

i use cubase as my sequencer and i can run reason softsynths by using the midi INs....using the MIDI Yoke virtual midi driver, you don't even need VST support or none of that stuff....just straight midi.

if your plan is to do dance music

any form of it from hardcore to house us Logic

nothing matches it.

cubase is good

but the emagic synthesizers are unbeatable.

so unless u have lots of cash to spend on hardware synths like the supernova, or the nord lead consider logic

and if u can get the latest vers.

really optimizes the computer code to allow u alot of instruments