Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Which DJ's would you like to see face-off?

As for different styles, some of the best faceoffs I've heard are people who play different styles who need to pull new tricks out of their bag just to keep up and come up with innovative mixes...

That said, here's some of mine...

DJ Quest vs. Deekline

Todd Edwards vs. DJ EZ

DJ Zinc vs. DJ Hype

Freq Nasty vs. EK

Selway vs. Umek

Shut Up and Dance vs. Blowfelt

J Da Flex vs. Jameson

Simply Jeff vs. Jasp 182 (east meets west)

DJ Wool vs. DJ P

Disco D vs. Richard Humpty Vision (THAT would be interesting, alternating ghetto tech + Chi hard house)

Rainer Truby vs Ursula 1000

Soulwax vs. Plump DJs

Originally posted by danwilson

brickhouse, who are these DJs. I never heard of any of them. When you say DJ Quest, are you talking about the person who posts on here from Metro Mix. Are these DJs from England.

OK, here we go...

DJ Quest has been around for a long ass time....used to be a turntablist in Invisibl Skratch Piklz, then went the way of DJ Craze and started also spinning regular music, in his case breakstep (which happens to be huge in England).

Shut Up and Dance was the biggest rave act of 1990 and the first rave group ever to hit #2 on the charts.

Ursula 1000 is pretty local (though more popular overseas than here)....spins at the Soho Grand every other Saturday. Loungecore/breaks n bossa DJ.

DJ Hype and DJ Zinc helped invent Jungle, and used to spin as a tag team called Ganja Kru. Would have loved to have seen them, but never had the chance.

I'm sure you've heard of John Selway, so I'll leave him alone. Umek is one of the top techno DJs in the world but he hates America so he won't spin here.

Todd Edwards pretty much invented speed garage and internationally is the most respected and well known DJ to come out of Jersey. Doesn't spin much lately, but still one of the best producers out there.

DJ EZ is the #1 rated garage radio DJ in the UK.

DJ Wool - Local, former DMC Ireland champion; DJ P is a former DMC world finalist....picked those two because they both scratch the hell out of the records, but actually play coherant danceable music at the same time

Disco D is one of the three big Ghetto Tech DJs (and the most talented of the three by far); Richard Humpty Vision is Chicago Hard House....in case you weren't around a couple years ago, the album "Shut the Fuck Up and Dance" was number 1 on the dance album charts for quite a while. Either way they're both pounding and both like to scratch, just with very different styles of music.

Rainer Truby is the head of Truby Trio, probably the third biggest break + bossa group after Jazzanova and Theivery Corporation (and arguably Atjazz), but he's more subtle than those....Truby vs. Ursula would be the ultimate chillout set...

Soulwax is a Belgian duo (aka 2 Many DJs) who combine 3 recognizable pop songs at the same time and turn it into funky ass dance music; Plump DJs are in the top 50 DJs worldwide and also play some funky ass music. Better yet, just check out one of their essential mixes...

Freq Nasty is one of the top Nu Skool breaks DJs in the world, and the darkest of all of them; EK is an up-and-coming Aussie who's almost as dark....

Blowfelt, Jameson, J Da Flex and Deekline are all breakstep DJs....none of them are obscure, but I wouldn't expect you to necessarily know them; However, Deekline comes once every 6 months or so, and I'd highly recommend checking him out...

Simply Jeff is the king of west coast breaks, and Jasp 182 is the best (although not the most popular) breaks DJ out of Florida.

Hope that was informational.

If you have the time or will, I could give you recommendations to attempt to broaden your musical horizons a bit past what you hear in the big mainstream New York clubs....