Clubplanet Nightlife Community

? to Record Label owners

davidalexander

I have been reading the posts on the demise of SR and would like to get some feedback from those on the board who own or have owned a dance music label.

I have considered starting my own label with a couple of dj/producers...but in todays climate...rippin mp3s...loss of distrution..etc....I am reconsidering

Label owners...share your feedback...what were your expierences..in full details..good & bad...

Im sure inquiring CPers want to know!!!!

Lets get some discussion!!!!

peace

David ALexander

Owning Substance has been both challenging and rewarding. As with everything in life, there are ups and downs, pros and cons. The MP3 debate today can almost be compared to the cassette tape debate of the 70s and 80s. We're riding a bad wave right now. But, you have to look at why you want to do a label. If it all matches up and you have the resources, go for it! I'll elaborate more when I have some more time.

paz,

Stryke

www.substancerecordings.com

www.signalcommunications.net

As part owner of Substance, I can let you in on few things I may have been oblivious to 2 years ago.

Keep in mind, that even though there have been numerous good times in our quest, I'm gonna keep the points on the negative so that you avoid pitfalls and have more time for your own good stuff...

1. Distribution!! Without it, you might as well not have a product to sell.

2. Good book keeping... yes, this applies to all businesses, but small record companies are notoriously shat-upon by vendors. They will screw you every chance they get. keep a copy of every friggin' receipt you get and every check you write.

3. Check and double check all shipping. Incoming and outgoing. If you get a shipment from a vendor, don't let the delivery guy leave until all merch is accounted for.

4. keep detailed phone records of everyone you talk to. Name, phone number, extension, time of call, content of conversation. This will do you wonders in fighting claims against you. And there WILL be claims against you.

5. Marketing is of no use without product and distribution to back it. If you make the mistake of "market teasing" without having a detailed plan of action in supplying the teased markets, you will find yourself twisting in the wind when you finally get ready to move.

6. No money is to be exchanged without a receipt or a signed and solidified contract. Your best friends in the world will fuck you over, for the right price.

7. Do not involve people in your company who have no BUSINESS being in BUSINESS. Again, true for all forms of business, but entertainment oriented companies sometimes blur the lines between coolness and competence. In the immortal words Jay Mohr in Jerry McGuire, "It's not Show-FRIENDS... It's Show-BUSINESS."

8. Stick to your ideals. Don't give them up in the face of bankruptcy or seemingly overwhelming adversity. You ideals are the only thing that separates you from the other 50 gazillion indi labels out there. You will only find success in what you truly believe. (this, incidentally, is one we've managed not to screw up.)

Well, that's all I can think of right now. I hope this gives you some idea of what you might expect in your first couple of years as a label owner. I know some of these things seem like real dumbass mistakes. Most of them are and I'll refrain from naming the dumbass(es)... eh-hem. But in some instances, you will simply get blindsided. Just be on the look out.

Take care, and the best of luck from the Substance crew.

M@