Clubplanet Nightlife Community

American Dance Labels vs. European Dance Labels

Am i right or wrong on this issue.

I feel the main reason the european dance labels are so far ahead of the american labels is because most of the american labels are all too worried about licensing the hot new track from europe instead of developing their own electronic artist?

i mean im sure u all know but heres some examples.

perfecto - BT, Jan Johnston

Tsunami - Ferry Corsten, Kid Vicious

Blackhole - Tiesto, Art of Trance

BXR - Mauro Picotto

United - Armin Van Buuren

Nukleuz - Nick Sentience, Harry Diamond

Bedrock - Digweed

and theres lots lots more..

Question is other than like moonshine(christopher lawrence, keoki), V2(moby, aprhodite), sondos, SAW(satoshie tomei) and a very few small others...

WHERE ARE THE AMERICAN LABELS DEVELOPING AMERICAN ARTISTS THAT ACTUALLY REACH WORLDWIDE STATUS?

I mean Tommy Boy was doing really well by developing amber, etc

and even though i was not a big fan of the style..they were on the right track.. i guess the music did not have worldwide appeal..

regardless of the Genre of Music.. this is a big part of why electronic music is not like it is in europe.

DO people agree or disagree?

I am sure there are people from some of the american labels that read these boards.

So speak your peace on this

Fade Records - Chris Fortier, Steve Porter

Sunkissed/Teknology Records - Bill Hamel

Yoshitoshi/Sinichi - Deep Dish

Addictive - Saeed & Palesh

It's funny you have BT as Perfecto when he first released tracks domestically on Yoshitoshi and Music Now Records...Those listed above are the bigger "progressive" US labels, but there are many, many more other domestic labels (mostly house) that put out quality releases, some were mentioned in your other thread so I won't bother listing them

Sondos- Thick Dick

Subliminal- Thick Dick, Harry Choo Choo Romero and Eric Morillo

most American labels are house....and they put out great tracks...just a little bit diff. than the European labels...but that doesnt make the American labels far inferior....i do believe that the US labels should be more diverse in their styles of music...but then again look at Overdose/Pulse all trance/german trance...

First off id say that Subliminal is doing a great job developing producers..and second off how can you mention Nukluez and not BK..but thats beside the point. Europe is a big advantage over the US in that they have been making dance better and longer. one thing that people dont think of a lot is that in europe everyone in the scene is closer together. Take britain for instance..its a lot easier for anyone in the country to drive to a studio to make a track, and the engineers over there have been at it for years. Thats another thing a lot of people dont realize...Engineering vs producing. Europe is full of great engineers and believe it or not they are behind a lot of tracks, even though someone else's name is on it. Most DJ's hire an engineer when they start producing, and while th dj might say "yeah lets use that" its teh engineer tweaking the machines and writing melodys and such. Like how many of you think Timo Maas is a good producer? YOu prolly dont know that "Timo Maas" actually means Timo DJ's and Martin Buttrich makes the songs. But thats how it is in europe..lots of talent to go around and they can actually make money writing dance music! 2 large factors in the development of any scene!

Well, the US started it all, and has been producing good dance music from the beginning... though for exposure's sake, many US artists choose to go with import labels...

it all depends on what the artists choose to do and where they choose to get their sound pressed. Just because an artist is a US artist doesn't mean they'll necessarily choose a US label.

Labels look for a certain sound, such as Hooj.

I'd say it has more to do with what sounds fit with what label, than "import labels are better than domestic labels."