Clubplanet Nightlife Community

TIESTO REVIEW @ Nation

He is amazing.

I flew up to LL to see his first NYC appearance, and this was round 2.

He came on at 1, playing some really soft trance, and the volume was turned WAY down. It was almost like a rock show in front of the booth, and he was giving tremendous love for the crowd.

About 45 minutes into his set he started picking up the BPMs and getting harder and more edgy. Then 115 into his 3 hr set he was putting on a fucking tech-trance clinic. He had the whole place by the balls and played a techy set for about 30 minutes. I was loving it.

With a little less than one hour left in his set he dropped Oakie, then he just blasted off. I didn't care where my friends were, I was like 20 feet from the booth watching this guy go. The last 20 minutes he played one of the hardest trance songs I have ever heard (ID?) and kept on brining it back. He was going nuts in the booth, banging his head up and down, dancing, and of course, smiling the whole time.

He closed with a classic, but remixed, and I am telling you I felt like I was in Twilo again, that was how amazing I thought the whole situation was at that point.

Technically, I cannot stress his skills enough. He just pounds out trance as smooth as silk, but has that hard edge to it that I grew up loving in NYC.

Record selection: Well, he could have come out and blasted off right away. I think that the crowd (maybe not the most educated musically) would have jumped up and down to whatever he played. But he definitely came on this tour with a ton of new records that have a techy sound, with a very high BPM.

Crowd: Great vibe, everybody that was there was there to see Tiesto. Nation kept this party very DL, and it was actually thrown the same night as their Goth party, which was interesting.

Unfortunately the place closed at 415 and Tiesto did not come out for the encore that we were chanting for. I think he had time to, but who knows.

Tiesto's greatest asset however, IS HIS PRESENCE. He is so great at reading the crowd. He comes across so humbly.. that you know he feels so lucky. He is a class act, and the resulting charisma of this combination of assets is that the music almost sounds better because of the vibe he creates. It is really something, and it reminds me of Diggers at Twilo during the anniversary.

It's so funny, because I was in London 4 years ago, when I was just getting into this shit and I bought a CD that was mixed by Tiesto and all of my friends back here who were aficionados did not know who he was. I even saw him at Niagra in Amsterdam and had no idea!!

Now he is the shit, and he deserves to be..

Thanks for reading this rant!

Bassboy, I found someone who heard Tiesto at Roxy last week and Nation yesterday. He thought Tiesto was so much better at Roxy. This was on Tranceaddict.

Ok, first I have to say, does anyone know if somewhere between New York and DC, Tiesto fell down, hit his head, and woke up thinking he was Mauro Picotto?

Hahaha

Cause thats what it seemed like! Almost everything he played last night was some hard-ass tech-trance!!

It was a good show, but not nearly as good as the one at the Roxy.

The night started off crappy for me, cause it was pouring outside, so I got completely soaked before getting to the club. And Nation security totaly raped me, I had to walk back through the rain again to leave my camera in the car! So looks like no pictures I guess . DJ Pio couldn't even bring a camera in, and he was VIP! And security took my silver pens that I brought for Tiesto to sign my vinyl! They threw them out!! What the hell is that?? Pens arent allowed!?!

I got there around 11:30, wandered in and I met a couple TrancEaddicts, and right before Tiesto came on, I met DJ Pio. He's awesome! Thanks for all the help Pio!

Nation itself is quite nice, it has a great sound-system, great view of the DJ booth, and a large dancefloor.

Anyways, like I said, 90% of the stuff he played was hard techy stuff, he played almost NO uplifting or melodic tunes, and only ONE classic song. After seeing him do such an incredible set at the Roxy, I was expecting more!

Tiesto was very happy and smiled and danced and stuff a lot, so that was cool. But the crowd vibe definatley wasnt nearly as good as the Roxy's. There was too much riff-raff as I like to say. A bunch of people had filtered in from Alchemy next-door (an industrial/goth party) which is fine, but it was just kinda odd.

Tiesto started off at 1am and played till 4am, 3 hours definatley wasn't enough, but that's DC for ya!

He started off his set quite nicely and it looked like it was going to be a great night, but then after the initial hour or so, he went into some hard techy stuff I had no idea what it was.

Now, I definatley danced my ass off to it and enjoyed it (I actually had lots of energy this time!), but I mean, you are Tiesto! Play some Trance for chrissake!

Ok, so here's the tracklist as best I could get it, Pio helped me out on a few of these (I will include my witty comments on the ones I can't ID ):

01. ID hardd

02. Flash - Closing Session

03. ID

04. D-Note - Shed My Skin

05. ID, some melodic tune (few of the night)

06. James Holden - Nothing

07. ID, heavy Bass

08. ID, proggy stuff

09. DJ Tiesto - Obsession (Filterheadz Remix) > I think

10. ID, hard w/ "musica" or some such vocal sample, and a huge buildup

11. Midway - Monkey Forrest

12. ID

13. ID

14. ID

15. ID, Hard w/ simple synth

16. Oliver Lieb - Subsonik

17. DJ Tomcraft - Loneliness (hey Jamie )

18. Way Out West - Mindcircus (G & D Remix)

19. ID, female vocals something "free"

20. GREEN MARTIAN - WIZARDRY

21. Paul Oakenfold - Southern Sun (Tiesto Remix)

22. ID, HARD

23. Taub - Megamind 02

24. Conjure One - Tears From the Moon (remix)

25. ID, techy BASS

26. ID, Hard techy w/ male vocal sample >> I wrote on a piece of paper "What is this?" and handed it to Tiesto, he took it back and read it and was talking w/ Pete Moutso for a few secs and laughing, then he handed it back to me and wrote on it "It's Me!" ...LOL, you cheeky bastard you!

27. ID, more hard tech w/ speeding-up to distortion buildup

28. Dariush - IRA

29. ID, tech

30. Umek - Gatex (DJ Tiesto Remix)

31. ID, HARD

32. ID, hard w/ female vocal sample and robotic voice

33. Cygnus X - The Orange Theme (same mix as at Roxy) < this was the only classic of the night.

Thats it!

He stopped promptly at 4am, which was pretty lame.

They crowd was cheering so much and chanting "TIESTO!" just like at Roxy. But instead of coming back for an encore like at the Roxy, he waved his hands, put on his coat, and ran the hell out of there!! how lame!

It was so sad, cause even after he left everyone was still chanting "TIESTO!"

oh yeah, at one point, during Southern Sun, I was on the Phone w/ Jamie again, hehe, I handed Tiesto my cell-phone, so he could say "hi" to her (he had done this w/ some other people), but instead, he took my phone, glanced at it, took out a marker, and signed my phone over the screen, and then hung-up on Jamie!!!

hehehe, what a nut!

Over all, it was a good night, and I liked Tiesto, but it couldn't compare to the Roxy, and he didn't play nearly as good stuff.

Blah, I will go see him on New Years with all of you though!!!

peace!

Originally posted by roninmess

mike bugout was in attendance and left 3 voicemails during the evening. mad tech was played. and i said months ago that Tiesto was goin into more tech, and noone believed me.

yeah, but did he play a lot of tech at Roxy?

I wish that I was there to see him man, he is a great act. I like that better than seeing JP in his booth with a face of stone on; but I guess SF is driven by a "mean" musical vibe that Tiesto doesn't employ?

I would like to hear Mike's review.

Originally posted by bassboy

yeah, but did he play a lot of tech at Roxy?

I wish that I was there to see him man, he is a great act. I like that better than seeing JP in his booth with a face of stone on; but I guess SF is driven by a "mean" musical vibe that Tiesto doesn't employ?

I would like to hear Mike's review.

yes a lot of tech at roxy

heres my take...

We expected him to come on at 12 so waiting that extra hour got me a lil annoyed...especially when his opener plays SOUTHERN SUN (not tiesto's mix but still)....ughhh....

Comes on at one with some dirty tech---busts out with Shed My Skin and went from there....Im not gonna go into detail but bottom line...he was much better at roxy. Much Better.

Now thats not to say he was bad. His performace at nation would prolly blow away most DJ's regardless, but by his standards i thought it was a lil ehh. U could tell by time IRA come on tiesto was wrecked...a few slips were noticable to me, but shit happens. I still enjoyed myself very much.

Nation is a phat venue and def deserves to be on that top 20 list which it made. Crowd was really into it. I have no clue why he didnt give an encore. That i didnt like.

ID # 27 was Body Shock - Break This

I actually stood right next to the kid who kept that list. Didnt meet him or anything but he kept writing em down. Thats dedication. I got a tiesto poster and he signed it for me which was cool. He signed my friends passport cuz thats all he had. It looks like he's been to the country of Tiesto. :laugh:

Im goin to hibernate now until thursday for carl cox.

Mike Bugout

I love that man.. I sincerely do.

Let me tell you my story.

My friend and I were at Fright Fest

these "Kids" can I stress kids... were playing with glowsticks. Well my friend whose heart starts to beat fast at the very sight of a glowstick.. said to them..let me show you how its done. He starts Raving sick. I mean I swear he heard Southern Sun in his head {Tiesto MIX of course} This Asian Genteleman started saying "TIESTO TIESTO!!! I swear to GOD. WE started this whole converstaion the other guy was still on fire from Tiesto @ the ROXY..

TIESTO's vibe is still in the air.

GOD he is so so good.

And now i am meeting all these good people b/c of him.

His whole cd is Hot. but I am in love with 4, 9, 10 , 11, 14, and 15 ..i mean 15 is jucst sick, the louder you play it the crazier it gets.