Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Open Memo To Howard David

guyman1966

Before I get started, the purpose of this memo is to provide you with constructive comments on your performance on WQAM. This is not a personal attack and it in no way is intended to insult you. I have thought about calling you on the air with these observations, but I realize that I’d be bumped off in seconds because my comments will not be to your liking.

THE MORNING SHOW

Hosting a morning show is no easy task. It’s very different from calling a game. Your manner is sometimes a bit overbearing. When you call a game you should be loud and authoritative on reporting what you are seeing. In the morning, know one likes turning the radio on first thing and hearing some guy yelling just to yell (and usually yelling about nothing). (TIP #1) Hosting a morning show requires a more conversational tone and attitude. There have been many times when you have stated your opinion as fact. Your expert opinion is still just an opinion. Learn to come across more like a person debating sports, not like you are the ultimate authority.

At times you have had some excellent national and local guests. Treat them with respect and do your homework. On more than one occasion you have asked a question and then YOU told them the answer BEFORE they had the chance to respond. Sometimes they disagree with you. Other times you can hear the frustration in their voices even if they agree with you. (TIP #2) When you ask a question to an expert/player/co-host, let them answer.

The interview with Cris Carter is an excellent textbook example of how NOT to interview someone. Listen back to it. When you asked him if he’ll “get in Jay’s face”, I thought he was going to hang up on you. (TIP #3) Refer to Tip #1 & #2 and do your homework.

Let your co-host shine. One time you cut off Steve in mid sentence and said, “lets talk about that later… we’ll take some calls now.” That indicates that in your mind Steve is less important. The truth is that we like him. Steve is knowledgeable and he is a major part of the show. The only reason most of us still tune in is because he is there helping you. (TIP #4) When working with others on the air, especially if they are already known and liked by the audience, be respectful. Just because your name is on the show does not give you the right to think you are the only star. Would Seinfield have been a hit without George, Elaine and Kramer? Recently you have improved in this area. Keep it up!

DOLPHIN GAMES

You are not very funny. At times you try to insert jokes (both in the Morning Show and in the games) or comments that just don’t work. (TIP #5) Be a straight man. Leave the humor or “color comments” to the guys that are there to make them.

(TIP #6) Think like a Dolphin fan! When the game against the Jets ended and you were rapping up from the locker room with Mad Dog, your last question to him was “where does Coach Edwards go from here?” Mad Dog responded that he did not care. “I’m just enjoying this win. Today belongs to the Dolphins” or something like that. Why would we care about the Jets or their coaching staff?

Again, these comments were not intended to be harmful. Also, the are not just mine. Many fans feel the same. Just walk around the tailgate parties and listen to what people are saying. I just wanted to share a few of my observations with you. But, most people are not as kind as me. Overall you come across the radio as a smug, full-of-your-self guy. I would bet that you are none of those things. Help us see that we are wrong about you.

Sincerely,

Michael XXXXXX

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by absolutv

local sports talk radio in miami has gone down the tubes...

cant stand the morning show..

fat hank can go drop dead, he thinks he knows it all...

mad dog is listenable...

ive switched to 940 fox

w/ tony bruno

jt the brick &

rome(sometimes, can get repeptitive)

I'm with ya 100%! Hank also needs to go, but I never listen to him. I do tune in to listen in the morning for scores and I was stuck listening to Howard David on the radio @ the games. I now leave my radio home. It's too bad, becasue Mad Dog is great for the live games. OH WELL!

Hes a dick plain and simple I listen to 560am all the time, although Mandich is straight up Dolphin I think hes a great sportscaster. David is just a cocksucker who said earlier in the year that he bleeds Dolphin colors, sure ya do u uncle tom dick.............:mad: