Clubplanet Nightlife Community

where has weyes been? (monster massive review)

weyes

well, saturday i went to monster massive, a rave with a crazy lineup: kevin saunderson, felix da housecat, judge jules, dj irene, matt hardwick, anne savage, derrick may, dj funk, and many more. you can check it all out at

www.monstermassive.com

my omniscient friend had us guestlisted by judge jules (!) which would've been really cool, had the person with the guestlist shown up to the party :mad: . we did eventually get in free, and vip, but we stood out in the cold for an hour while people who bought tix walked right in. and i feel bad for the peeps who paid for vip, 'cause all they got was an area with couches and some free unripe fruit. the artists didn't "hang out" there, as promised, and there was no overhead view of the stage/party.

my friend wanted to stay in the main (trance/progressive) room the whole night, but i was interested in some house, too. unfortunately, the house area was outside, which was cold, and very brightly lit. those two factors led to a very dead vibe, so i couldn't even stay there, even for the music. i was dresssed as my friend for halloween, wearing shorts, and i was too cold :no: .

but it was there that i ran into lostin310 and his broken foot :D ! i did take pix that night, but they're all so crappy that i didn't bother putting them on a cd. sorry, folks! and judge jules looks like he's on some serious crack :shaky: .

somewhere in the middle of the night, my friend lost his cell phone :( . it totally brought us down, and led us on a wild-goose-chase till the end of the party, which we wouldn't've stayed to the end of, most likely, had he not lost the phone. my friend thought he might find the phone when the lights came on. no such luck.

so, our party didn't end, 'cause we had to make it happy again, after it had gotten so absolutely sad. we went to pick up my friend's pal, who works a night job, and we hung out with him all morning and afternoon, till things were all good again :shades: .

and that's why my column and i have been absent the past 3 days. sorry - i just had to recover from an insane time! and i wasn't exactly full o' wisdom :screwy: ... :laugh:

anycrap, i'm back with my nonsense, in full effect :lickit: !

Hola! I’m Weyes’s friend Mick. Just thought I’d chime in here, give my review and say that even though I did lose my phone, I had a GREAT time at Monster Massive.

The party itself actually renewed a bit of my faith in parties like that. Things seemed to be going pretty well – no noticeable problems, other than the initial “wheres the guest list” issue. I’m actually surprised there aren’t parties there more often than just the twice a year.

A HUGE part of my “fun-credit” goes to missy Weyes herself. Shes SUPER fun to par-tay with. :)

The set up of the party was great. I liked the fact that the areas were all so well spaced out. When the rooms get to close to one another, you get all sorts of sounds all bleeding together. And for one who appreciates trance such as myself, it sucks when theres a break in the music and instead of trancing out to some nice soft tones, all you hear is the hardcore area next door. Know what I mean?

The main area was awesome. It reminded me of all the pictures you see of the HUGE, heavily attended festivals that happen over in UK. The visuals and lights were great, and the sound was just perfect. Not to loud, not to quiet.

One thing I’m not used to when it comes to raves, are full bars everywhere. I actually really like this aspect. Not everyone does E at raves. Some go sober, and some, like me – prefer to drink my redbull vodkas all night long. Which I did… had a blast, and can probably blame the loss of my phone on. HAHAHA! :)

My favorite dj set for the night was Matt Hardwick from Gatecrasher UK. He spun early (7:15), a lot of people probably didn’t even hear him, but he was sooooooo good. I hope he comes back soon.

Irene was fun. Shes always so spunky behind the decks – throwing all sorts of free crap out to the crowd and such. She was more towards the harder trance side of things, rather than her usual “Global House Diva” self. Maybe that was because the room she was in was geared more towards trance. Either way, she was fun.

I’ve never had so many people come up to me at a rave. Well, now I know how to fix that. Wear an Angles hat to the party on the night of a big playoff game. I got asked so many times if I knew the score – usually leading into some sort of fun small conversation with complete strangers. Everyone was so nice. Even the Giants fans I ran into.

As Weyes said, somewhere in the middle of Judge Jules set, I discovered I was missing my phone. Because of that, and the number of drinks I had had by that point, I cant really say much about Judge Jules set. The part I did hear, I liked. I guess its kinda rude, since if it weren’t for him, we wouldn’t of even had been there. We did get to meet him back stage and personally thank him. So that was cool.

What wasn’t cool was how at some late point in the evening, they stopped letting people go back down to the main dance area. What if you left stuff down there, or friends… etc? They should have given some sort of notice. When I told the security guard that I needed to go downstairs to search for my lost phone once the lights were on, I was told no, and given a phone number to call on Monday to see if anyone turned it in. Of course no one did. I’m just glad I opted for the insurance on that puppy.

All in all, I’d attended one of these parties again, and I’d even pay admission – if the correct dj line up was there. It was a lot of fun. :)

HUGS to Weyes!

Originally posted by trancekyd

My favorite dj set for the night was Matt Hardwick from Gatecrasher UK. He spun early (7:15), a lot of people probably didn’t even hear him, but he was sooooooo good. I hope he comes back soon.

:aright: Glad you liked him,Matt holds a god like status by the people who go to Gatecrasher,unfortunatly because of his residency he is not that well known worldwide so it's good to see him getting some recognition elsewhere.