Clubplanet Nightlife Community

electro-clash...

djbuster

Originally posted by djbuster

...anyone else think its kinda wack?

just seems like another 'trend' that is trying to become a new music style. i swear - ever since drum and bass swept through the world people have been trying to find the 'next big thing'

Yeah. I hate when people say shit like "It's the next big thing". I like some electro tunes, but just like everything else, I'd never be able to sit through a whole set of it. Variety's key. I like the electro sound whether it's the electroclash or electro breaks sound. But I think it's definitely whack when DJ's embrace it to the point where they don't drop anything else.

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

Yeah. I hate when people say shit like "It's the next big thing". I like some electro tunes, but just like everything else, I'd never be able to sit through a whole set of it. Variety's key. I like the electro sound whether it's the electroclash or electro breaks sound. But I think it's definitely whack when DJ's embrace it to the point where they don't drop anything else.

exactly...mix it up. why do people want to pigeon hole themselves into one style? like patural said - 2-step is a perfect example. i'm not a big fan, but if someone drops like one or two tracks in a set - i'm cool with it. but a whole set of a specific style of music? its boring.

i hated it when drum and bass dj's started fracturing off into different genres. instead of playing 'd n b' they were either tech-step dj's or jump-up djs. i'd much prefer to hear it all mixed together - ya know?

There's definitely some crap out there. But then again, there's crap in every genre. I think the most difficult part for any DJ, and the reason why I think so many pigeon hole themselves, is that it's really tough to wade through all the different genre's and pick the tunes you like. Kinda like when you go to Yoshi, it's so much easier to get tunes you know you'll like in the section you know the best. But if you're not really into breaks or techno or anything else, then you stare at the wall and just see a bunch of names you don't recognize. Then you have to pull down every single tune and sit there and listen for hours. I don't think a lot of DJ's can actually do that. Or at least, they don't try to do it for some reason or another.

I personally don't like the really heavy duty punk-rocky electro-clash. I like the more 80's new wave influenced stuff, which I think goes really nicely with house. But then again, the genre Nazi's would probably call the 80's new wave stuff Electro and the punk-rocky stuff Electroclash, but who the fuck knows.