Clubplanet Nightlife Community

obstacles in the way of voting

weyes

some mock the whole deal with people being confused with ballots, but some of them are confusing and ridiculous. and setting up anything involving computers is gonna leave a lot of room for mistakes, if you ask me; the older set isn't good with stuff like that, and touch screens suck. when i was growing up in nyc, we had booths with every category being in a vertical column. we flipped as many switches as it said to, and they'd turn into "x"s. if i recall correctly, it was impossible to vote for too many. fucking foolproof.

it wasn't till i moved out to cali till i got those ballots in which you poke holes, and you can't see the ballot after you put it in and start voting, so nervous people like myself can't double-check to see if i made a mistake. i'm not confused, i'm just saying that it could be a lot more straightforward.

but that's not the point of my post.

i used to vote absentee, when i was in college. but to do that, not only did i have to submit an application for a ballot, i had to submit an application for an application. of course, both of these transactions had deadlines, not to mention the final ballot's deadline. this is simply ridiculous red tape that prevents people from "bothering" to vote, and obstructs people's "right to vote," in my opinion.

i informed the board of elections in april of my new address and called them again last week to double-check. the woman on the phone thought that my last name was my first name and said i wasn't registered. (why would she be looking in a database under first names? and my last name is not also a first name :rolleyes: ) she didn't know the hours the polls were open, and didn't understand why i wanted a sample ballot book. where do they find these monkeys?

anyway, all that to say that, when i got to my polling place today, i was not registered :mad3: . i used a "provisional ballot," but it seemed sketchy, and the elderly volunteers didn't seem to know which way was up.

there was a proposition on the ballot to allow legally eligible persons to vote on election day and increase criminal penalties for voter and voter registration fraud. of course, it was voted down. :blown:

Damn, sorry to hear that dude....Here in Jersey we have the same one's as NY I believe....Flip the switch next to the candidate you want and the X shows up.....But I was also reading about some problems people had in regards to being registered.....Seems that people can register to vote at the DMV....I registered in school so I was unaware of this....Anyway...People would register there and the DMV found a way to fuck this up......They didnt get the voters registration info into the state on time and thus people couldnt vote when they got to the polls.......Complete bullshit....Seems that the DMV has been doing voter registration for over 10 years now and they still cant get it right......:mad:

I have had my own problems too :(

I had to go to 2 different voting locations until i found the right one. There was a school literally 1 BLOCK AWAY from my house, and they said i wasn't in their district :rolleyes:

It's a pain, hopefully in time things will get easier :blank: