Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Microsoft Sucks

Originally posted by teklord310

Time for something new....

I'm on Redhat 8.0 now.... it kicks ASSS!!

I'll see how long I can stay away from Winblows for.

Anyone else in the same boat? :tongue:

i am in windows now because all my mp3s are here.. i go into linux here and there. i am not going to switch over completely until i recompile the kernel to support NTFS (which redhat, by default, doesnt do). :( who knows when i will get up the energy to do that though. also, i like to game & the only game i have in linux is UT... so it gets boring & i miss photoshop. the new netscape for linux is NICE though and Gaim for AIM is cool too & it supports yahoo but no webcam (another reason i need windows).

Theres a conspiracy theory going around that microsoft puts melicious code deep within the kernels to completly destory the os or the program when they reach a certain age forcing you to upgrade......brilliant marketing ploy? or plotting tyrannical slave laborists? you decide :aright:

:flame:

Originally posted by somebitch

i am in windows now because all my mp3s are here.. i go into linux here and there. i am not going to switch over completely until i recompile the kernel to support NTFS (which redhat, by default, doesnt do). :( who knows when i will get up the energy to do that though. also, i like to game & the only game i have in linux is UT... so it gets boring & i miss photoshop. the new netscape for linux is NICE though and Gaim for AIM is cool too & it supports yahoo but no webcam (another reason i need windows).

Nice!! I'm in the same boat you are... I have to recompile my kernel as well because it won't mount an NTFS partition. It also doesn't like my sound card, i'm not sure if its just not supported or what. I don't game, so no problems there. Gaim is pretty good, aim for linux is about the same except you can't send or receive files which really blows. So far so good, just a lot of tricky lines of code to learn if u want to get the most out of it.

for the soundcard you can try alsa (which is free) or this thing called oss which you have to buy for 10$ but it always works... i would try alsa first. also theres something called soundconfig or sndconfig that u can run.

i'll try alsa. I have 2 soundcards in my Dell Optiplex. An integrated Aureal Vortex, and a pci Turtle Beach Montego II a3d. It doesn't detect the montego, only the aureal. No audio though, none of the audio applications work, they all give an error... sound configuration. I remember I had sound right away when I installed Redhat 6.2 a while ago. Different hardware though. Thanks!

i've said it before and i'll say it again....

i love you.