Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Steve Lawler New Space Resident

spacious

Space House Sessions welcomes new resident Steve Lawler

this Saturday, November 23rd

The "King of Space" (Ibiza) has been signed to a quarterly residency at Club Space Miami. Join us this Friday night for his much awaitted performance.

Mainroom set times include:

Roland - 10 to 1am

Lawler - 1 to 5+

Oscar - 5+ to close

Tiesto - no. Edagr V - yes!

Although I am not a house fan, I don't dis it. Everyone has their own tastes and opinions and a right to express how they feel. I just don't go out on those nights. My friends are all house fans and have tried to steer my towrads the dark side but like Popeye says, "I am what I am!"

Maybe I'm jealous cuz a couple years ago I used to be able to go out every weekend and hear good trance. And now...nothing. Shadow was the shit and I'm not a huge Acosta fan but the vibe was right. And The Mix just fueled my love for trance. But it was at Space where I became T.W. It was my first time hearing Edgar spin and all the Europeans as well.

I'm looking forward to the next few weeks. Global Gathering, Marco V, JOHAN GIELAN, PVD & Edgar V! What? At this moment, life is good.

Well, at least you're honest. Most trance fans in Miami are jealous, it's true. They can't deal with the fact that their music went from club-friendly to radio-friendly in a short time...grant it, some of the guys you mention are good, but unfortunately, they get lumped in with the whole "Cocaine/The Truth" epic trance DJs. They also can't deal with the end-result, that their music was 'banished' from all the decent clubs in town, and the only trance night is George Acosta at Level, nowadays. So of course, it's expected that they come out and say "Lawler? He sucks! Give Marco V. a quarterly residency!"

Then the househeads attack, lumping in the trance fans on this board with the whole glowstick-waving Hialeah-Kendall crowd that permeates any trance event in town (and I'm sure they'll be out en masse at the Global Gathering festival on the 30th. Stay away from me, kids, you won't like the results...)...

It's funny though, how a year or so ago, people on this board bitched about not enough house, now it's here, and now there is people bitching about not enough trance.

The market's gonna move again. I doubt you'll see a resurgence of trance in Miami...but progressive and house isn't going to remain dominant either. If anything, I see a diversion happen, with a fair balance of trance, techno-related genres, and house. The reason I say that is because house tunes aren't radio friendly, due to length, lack of vocals, etc...so you'll see the usual amount of quality house in Miami, and maybe a mini-resurgence of trance, as well as nights oriented to techno, etc...frankly, I can't wait, I don't want to see one genre dominant, I'd like some variety in my life...I'll probably get hung out to dry for this, but progressive house week in and week out is quite boring. It's why I appreciate DJs like Oscar, Stryke, Roland, Danny Howells, and Tenaglia. They can mix it up without totally breaking from a 'signature style'...

Guest saleen351

the following iterated algorithm

converges for all positive integers: n(i+1) = { n(i)/2 if n is even, {

(3*n(i)+1)/2 if n is odd. This is known as the #3X+1 problem, the Collatz

Conjecture, or a host of other names. Various cash prizes have been offered

for its solution. If you generalize and parameterize the algorithm, I suspect

that the 3X+1 algorithm lies on the boundary of sets of algorithms that

converge. The trouble is: I have no idea if that set is open or closed!

------------------------------------------------

I am afraid I do not understand what you mean by converge. It

certainly cannot converge to a single n(i), because the only fixed points are

0 and -1, which are not accessible to positive integers. Do you perhaps mean

converges to some periodic cycle, rather than diverging to infinity? A simple

test tells me everything seems to converge to the cycle 1 2 1 2 1 2...Is that

correct? So, who gets the cash if somebody here solves it? Maybe it is a

good way to raise money for Newton, though...A few ideas from my thoughts on

the problem so far: (1) Numbers of the form 2^n - 1 produce the longest

strings of increasing values (3*n+1)/2 all odd. For example, try 2047. (2) If

the sequence produced has roughly half odd and half even numbers, then it must

converge, because for odd numbers the values are multiplied by 3/2 (roughly)

while for even numbers they are divided by 2, so the even's decrease sequence

values more than the odd's increase sequence. (3) It is of course easy to

prove the conjecture holds for integers up to any value you like, just by

explicitly forming the sequences. Each sequence actually tells you about the

convergence of every integer that is obtained in that sequence, because of

course they all follow the same path. So there should be special numbers

(including the 2^n-1, perhaps?) that produce the longest sequences. Can these

be characterized in some way? In particular can we show that eventually the

number of odds and evens must balance? Of course I would like to hear what

else has been done on this. I do not think I have ever seen anything

published on it, but then this is not the sort of thing I do my work in.

There were fair number of articles published in math journals during the 80's

on this problem...search on 3X+1 or Collatz. So, it turns out there is a big

long write-up in the American Mathematical Monthly, vol. 92, p. 3 (1985). And

Paul Erdos is quoted as saying that Mathematics is not ready for this problem.

Don't you think maybe you could have mentioned this in introducing it here?

Before the rest of us make fools of ourselves, I mean... Sometimes it is

better if you do not know the history of a problem. After all, didn't Fermat

write in his diary that he had an "elegant solution proof" of his Last

Theorem, and mathematicians have been working on it ever since, and the

recently announced proof is far from elegant!

This thread is undeniable proof that we are now officialy SPOILED in this town.....LP comes on here to announce Steve Lawler as a quarterly resident at Space and nothing but.."ho-hum, bah-hum-bug, whatever" comments....lol

I'm pretty excited!!!:D

Am I the only one old enough to remember how just a few years ago our only choices were Acosta, Padilla or Razor & Guido(etc...) ......with the VERY occasional guest DJ once in a blue moon....

y'all betta' recognize'!!!! (now that's ghetto)

Originally posted by djoscarg

This thread is undeniable proof that we are now officialy SPOILED in this town.....LP comes on here to announce Steve Lawler as a quarterly resident at Space and nothing but.."ho-hum, bah-hum-bug, whatever" comments....lol

Am I the only one old enough to remember how just a few years ago our only choices were Acosta, Padilla or Razor & Guido(etc...) ......with the VERY occasional guest DJ once in a blue moon....

I just think he could've gone with a different flava. Your the tribal house master.

This thread is undeniable proof that we are now officialy SPOILED in this town.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course Miamians are spoiled. The city does represent!!! This is the chosen city for the WMC. Our local DJ's, including yourself, get much respect worldwide. So we have become acustom to hearing various types of good quality music. Variety is key but the expectation here is that whatever style it is it should be the best.

Originally posted by pod

Well, at least you're honest. Most trance fans in Miami are jealous, it's true. They can't deal with the fact that their music went from club-friendly to radio-friendly in a short time...grant it, some of the guys you mention are good, but unfortunately, they get lumped in with the whole "Cocaine/The Truth" epic trance DJs. They also can't deal with the end-result, that their music was 'banished' from all the decent clubs in town, and the only trance night is George Acosta at Level, nowadays. So of course, it's expected that they come out and say "Lawler? He sucks! Give Marco V. a quarterly residency!"

Then the househeads attack, lumping in the trance fans on this board with the whole glowstick-waving Hialeah-Kendall crowd that permeates any trance event in town (and I'm sure they'll be out en masse at the Global Gathering festival on the 30th. Stay away from me, kids, you won't like the results...)...

It's funny though, how a year or so ago, people on this board bitched about not enough house, now it's here, and now there is people bitching about not enough trance.

The market's gonna move again. I doubt you'll see a resurgence of trance in Miami...but progressive and house isn't going to remain dominant either. If anything, I see a diversion happen, with a fair balance of trance, techno-related genres, and house. The reason I say that is because house tunes aren't radio friendly, due to length, lack of vocals, etc...so you'll see the usual amount of quality house in Miami, and maybe a mini-resurgence of trance, as well as nights oriented to techno, etc...frankly, I can't wait, I don't want to see one genre dominant, I'd like some variety in my life...I'll probably get hung out to dry for this, but progressive house week in and week out is quite boring. It's why I appreciate DJs like Oscar, Stryke, Roland, Danny Howells, and Tenaglia. They can mix it up without totally breaking from a 'signature style'...

I see a trend toward less analyzing, less generalizing, and more f*cking dancing to whatever beats move you.;)

Big ups to Lawler on his residency. Next up Professor Howells.

Originally posted by saleen351

the following iterated algorithm

converges for all positive integers: n(i+1) = { n(i)/2 if n is even, {

(3*n(i)+1)/2 if n is odd. This is known as the #3X+1 problem, the Collatz

Conjecture, or a host of other names. Various cash prizes have been offered

for its solution. If you generalize and parameterize the algorithm, I suspect

that the 3X+1 algorithm lies on the boundary of sets of algorithms that

converge. The trouble is: I have no idea if that set is open or closed!

------------------------------------------------

I am afraid I do not understand what you mean by converge. It

certainly cannot converge to a single n(i), because the only fixed points are

0 and -1, which are not accessible to positive integers. Do you perhaps mean

converges to some periodic cycle, rather than diverging to infinity? A simple

test tells me everything seems to converge to the cycle 1 2 1 2 1 2...Is that

correct? So, who gets the cash if somebody here solves it? Maybe it is a

good way to raise money for Newton, though...A few ideas from my thoughts on

the problem so far: (1) Numbers of the form 2^n - 1 produce the longest

strings of increasing values (3*n+1)/2 all odd. For example, try 2047. (2) If

the sequence produced has roughly half odd and half even numbers, then it must

converge, because for odd numbers the values are multiplied by 3/2 (roughly)

while for even numbers they are divided by 2, so the even's decrease sequence

values more than the odd's increase sequence. (3) It is of course easy to

prove the conjecture holds for integers up to any value you like, just by

explicitly forming the sequences. Each sequence actually tells you about the

convergence of every integer that is obtained in that sequence, because of

course they all follow the same path. So there should be special numbers

(including the 2^n-1, perhaps?) that produce the longest sequences. Can these

be characterized in some way? In particular can we show that eventually the

number of odds and evens must balance? Of course I would like to hear what

else has been done on this. I do not think I have ever seen anything

published on it, but then this is not the sort of thing I do my work in.

There were fair number of articles published in math journals during the 80's

on this problem...search on 3X+1 or Collatz. So, it turns out there is a big

long write-up in the American Mathematical Monthly, vol. 92, p. 3 (1985). And

Paul Erdos is quoted as saying that Mathematics is not ready for this problem.

Don't you think maybe you could have mentioned this in introducing it here?

Before the rest of us make fools of ourselves, I mean... Sometimes it is

better if you do not know the history of a problem. After all, didn't Fermat

write in his diary that he had an "elegant solution proof" of his Last

Theorem, and mathematicians have been working on it ever since, and the

recently announced proof is far from elegant!

:eek::screwy:

Got back pretty drunk...I couldn't stop laughing:laugh:

PS: Forza Milan!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by tranzwhore

As much as I hate to admit this but I agree with Saleen!

Whatever!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GOOD, GREAT, WONDERFUL!!!!! more room for me to dance!!!!

its not like lawler is gonna have a problem pumping up space all nite!!!! As for the best tribal dj??? whose to say who is the BEST!!! Nobody can compare to oscar's style of course, but lawler is just a different flavor, a very sought out flavor to add!!!:D

BRING ON LAWLER baby!!!

I have to say that saturday was one of the most momorable nites at space!!!

with jimmy, roly, steve, and oscar, the music seemed as if it was a WMC party!!!!

THANK YOU SPACE!!!

next week, PICOTTO RETURN!!!!

global gathering saturday!!! :tongue:

who knows, ill probably end up at space next sunday!

Yeah, in the past two or three years things have really changed around here....4 the better of course though! Hopefully people won't keep taking the change for granted =o/

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Maybe u should check out the ghetto thread!;):tongue::laugh:

I give space props because they are more serious about music then 90% of the clubs down here but IMO they need a little more variety more often.

Lawler is a big name but he hasn't changed his sound for the past 2 years (progressive tribal)

What keeps me away from space is the music format. The times I've gone to space the music for the most part has been

4/4 Progressive, be it tribal, tech or regular proggy house or it's Trance.

Space has booked Jody (Breaks), Stryke (Techno) and DHM (Deephouse) and does have DT as a quarterly resident (Awesome!), but the times with something other then trance or progressive are not often enough. It's usually Apappa, Tstephan, Desyn, Deepdish those 2 dudes from Washington (can't remember their name) PVD, Tiesto or your residents which all spin subgenre's of progressive house. While I realize your residents throw down records that are not progressive or trance I am judging them based on what style of music I hear them play the most often during a set.

I used to go to space every single weekend and I am basing my opinion on that and the last couple of times I've gone to space recently.

I personally would like to hear something different.

Jimmy T - spins his own brand of house - very clever IMO. It's like a retro/funky house that has some really catchy hooks. Why not give him a residency:confused:

BTW, my criticism is meant to be constructive so I hope no one takes offense to what I'm saying. I'm not a space hater. I think the space crew Biz, OG, Kris and LP are all aces. They really go out of their way for everyone on this board and I have only positive things to say about them.

BUT, please try changing up the music format on a more consistent basis.

Originally posted by georgeacasta2

I give space props because they are more serious about music then 90% of the clubs down here but IMO they need a little more variety more often.

Lawler is a big name but he hasn't changed his sound for the past 2 years (progressive tribal)

What keeps me away from space is the music format. The times I've gone to space the music for the most part has been

Space has booked Jody (Breaks), Stryke (Techno) and DHM (Deephouse) and does have DT as a quarterly resident (Awesome!), but the times with something other then trance or progressive are not often enough. It's usually Apappa, Tstephan, Desyn, Deepdish those 2 dudes from Washington (can't remember their name) PVD, Tiesto or your residents which all spin progressive or trance.

While I realize your residents throw down records that are not progressive or trance I am judging them based on what style of music I hear them play the most often during a set.

Before anyone bites my head off. YES, I used to go to space every single weekend so I can give an opinion based on the last couple of times I've gone to space.

Try something different.

Jimmy T - spins his own brand of house - very clever IMO. It's like a retro/funky house that has some really catchy hooks. Why not give him a residency:confused:

BTW, my criticism is meant to be constructive so I hope no one takes offense to what I'm saying. I'm not a space hater. I think the space crew Biz, OG, Kris and LP are all aces. They really go out of their way for everyone on this board and I have only positive things to say about them.

shut the fuck up !! you dont know shit !!!

:laugh: :laugh: j/k

good post G.A.:cool: A little bit of each genre every once in awhile is good.. but, you also have to think about what the majority of the people want.. lets not forget that it is a business & i think Louis P is going out of his way to try & please everyone .. but at the same time he cant keep bringing in certain talents that even if they are great , wont bring in the crowds & the bling bling to make it a successfull night .. jmo

Space has booked Jody (Breaks), Stryke (Techno) and DHM (Deephouse) and does have DT as a quarterly resident (Awesome!), but the times with something other then trance or progressive are not often enough. It's usually Apappa, Tstephan, Desyn, Deepdish those 2 dudes from Washington (can't remember their name) PVD, Tiesto or your residents which all spin subgenre's of progressive house. While I realize your residents throw down records that are not progressive or trance I am judging them based on what style of music I hear them play the most often during a set.

I used to go to space every single weekend and I am basing my opinion on the last couple of times I've gone to space.

I would like to hear something different.

I agree w/u... LP is a brilliant club owner. We got Lawler in November... Lawler in February...guess what, outpaying Crobar for Lawler will give them one of the hottest DJs tha past two summers in Ibiza as ""their" resident during WMC. Two thumbs up LP!!

While Crobar "loves" the french guy as resident... Space is taking away their few good guest DJs. I prop Space's vision.:eek::cool:

Originally posted by koky

shut the fuck up !! you dont know shit !!!

:laugh: :laugh: j/k

good post G.A.:cool: A little bit of each genre every once in awhile is good.. but, you also have to think about what the majority of the people want.. lets not forget that it is a business & i think Louis P is going out of his way to try & please everyone .. but at the same time he cant keep bringing in certain talents that even if they are great , wont bring in the crowds & the bling bling to make it a successfull night .. jmo

Your absolutely right. Every business caters to it's bread and butter. But space is in a position where they can influence what music trends may or may not happen down here. They can promote an Edgar V breakbeat night or an Oscar G deephouse night. Space already has loyal patrons and a following that will go to space rain or sunshine. I read a post once that Oscar threw down a freestyle set one afterhours and the crowd was eating it up. That's great, it's something different. The reason most of the space clientel only likes progressive or trance is because that's all they know. That's the music format. Clubbing music isn't popular like MTV or hip hop. Clubbers only know what the clubs let them know. Dance music is not that accessable to most people. The average clubber doesn't know the difference between Satoshi or Danny Tenaglia. It's all up to the club IMO.

Your absolutely right. Every business caters to it's bread and butter. But space is in a position where they can influence what music trends may or may not happen down here. They can promote an Edgar V breakbeat night or an Oscar G deephouse night. Space already has loyal patrons and a following that will go to space rain or sunshine. I read a post once that Oscar threw down a freestyle set one afterhours and the crowd was eating it up. The reason most of the space clientel only likes progressive or trance is because that's all they know. That's the music format. Clubbing music isn't popular like MTV or hip hop. Clubbers only know what the clubs let them know. Dance music is not that accessable to most people. The average clubber doesn't know the difference between Satoshi or Danny Tenaglia. It's all up to the club IMO.

TRUE:aright:

BTW, don't Satoshi and Danny T both play house?:rolleyes::D