Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Steve Lawler New Space Resident

spacious

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by koky

:laugh: :laugh: her name is rio & she dances on the sand !! & im also hungry like the wolf !!:laugh: :laugh:

one of my favorite remixes of all time, too bad the djs down here are pussys and won't play shit like that...

last time i heard it J Vicious dropped it at XS last winter...:eek: :eek: :eek:

Originally posted by georgeacasta2

Congratulations, you get

duhaward.jpg

Most clubbers only know they really liked the music at clubspace tonight. That's it. That's my point. It doesn't matter who's spinning :D

Thank you for the award:) I was only joking:D But I accept it with much honor:eek:

I give space props because they are more serious about music then 90% of the clubs down here but IMO they need a little more variety more often.

Lawler is a big name but he hasn't changed his sound for the past 2 years (progressive tribal)

What keeps me away from space is the music format. The times I've gone to space the music for the most part has been

4/4 Progressive, be it tribal, tech or regular proggy house or it's Trance.

Space has booked Jody (Breaks), Stryke (Techno) and DHM (Deephouse) and does have DT as a quarterly resident (Awesome!), but the times with something other then trance or progressive are not often enough. It's usually Apappa, Tstephan, Desyn, Deepdish those 2 dudes from Washington (can't remember their name) PVD, Tiesto or your residents which all spin subgenre's of progressive house. While I realize your residents throw down records that are not progressive or trance I am judging them based on what style of music I hear them play the most often during a set.

I used to go to space every single weekend and I am basing my opinion on that and the last couple of times I've gone to space recently.

I personally would like to hear something different.

Jimmy T - spins his own brand of house - very clever IMO. It's like a retro/funky house that has some really catchy hooks. Why not give him a residency:confused:

BTW, my criticism is meant to be constructive so I hope no one takes offense to what I'm saying. I'm not a space hater. I think the space crew Biz, OG, Kris and LP are all aces. They really go out of their way for everyone on this board and I have only positive things to say about them.

BUT, please try changing up the music format on a more consistent basis.

GA....Coming from a person that goes religiously every week to a venue that plays strictly one genre of dance music (deep house) this argument doesn't seem valid....remember, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's no good.....

and knocking Lawler because he hasn't changed his style in two years???? You do realize that most of your favorite deep-house dj's have been playing that style for 10 years!!!

I think your frustration lies with the fact hat they aren't playing your genre of choice at Space...but the fact is that some genres just don't work in some clubs.....for example: I don't think Miguel Migs would work in the main room at Space, but at the same time I don't think Tiesto would work at Lola...

YOU ARE A SPACE HATER!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OK.....Now let's get some drama going on this bitch!

;)

Originally posted by djoscarg

GA....Coming from a person that goes religiously every week to a venue that plays strictly one genre of dance music (deep house) this argument doesn't seem valid....remember, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's no good.....

and knocking Lawler because he hasn't changed his style in two years???? You do realize that most of your favorite deep-house dj's have been playing that style for 10 years!!!

I think your frustration lies with the fact hat they aren't playing your genre of choice at Space...but the fact is that some genres just don't work in some clubs.....for example: I don't think Miguel Migs would work in the main room at Space, but at the same time I don't think Tiesto would work at Lola...

;)

I agree with you Oscar. Miguel Migs would do much better in the patio. His music is much better with an outdoor feeling. At Nikkis he threw a beautiful night a few weeks ago...during Conference, Naked on the Beach was superb.

Desyn is amazing for the patio. Not every weekend...

GA....Coming from a person that goes religiously every week to a venue that plays strictly one genre of dance music (deep house) this argument doesn't seem valid....

I wouldn’t label DHM as just deephouse DJ’s. They spin a hybrid style of house inspite of what the acronym means. They’re more on the experimental side. Yes, I'm partial to Deephouse but that doesn't mean I don't like progressive, trance, techno or breaks etc... I go to Jazzid (Brazilian jazz, regular jazz, downtempo jazz, Trip hop) Bremuda Bar (Salsa, Merengue), Space and alot of other clubs too. Ognaku was very experimental and they were on a techno tip. Yes, I think Space could change it up a little more often. That doesn't just mean deephouse. Let's hear Techno, Breaks, Spanish house whatever. I realize you guys have tried these styles before but it's not that often.

I don't have a list of the DJ's that have gone to space in the past couple of months but lets pull up the list and discuss them and the style of music they spin.

remember, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's no good.....

That’s not true, I like progressive. I bought several Deepdish comps, Appapa, Transport, the Global Underground series – I don’t know how many releases etc etc etc… - so your momma on this point!

That’s a good point. What I should’ve said is that space already has a resident that is a master in that genre of music. When it comes to tribal I’ve never heard anyone do it better then you. FACT. IMO You guys could’ve gone a different route and gotten DJ that was proficient with another style of music.

the fact is that some genres just don't work in some clubs.....for example: I don't think Miguel Migs would work in the main room at Space, but at the same time I don't think Tiesto would work at Lola...

Again, another point I concede because you know the crowd better then I do. Migs would not work in the main room but he might work in the patio. The crowd is used to progressive so it’s all they expect to hear. If they hear progressive all the time and then one day out of the blue you shock them with deephouse of course they’re not going to be receptive to it. As far as Tiesto goes in Lola’s I think trance represents an extreme aspect of dance music because of it’s fast BPM. DnB is another genre that sits on the fringe of dance music . IMO it’s not really a fare comparison I’m not asking you to play downtempo in the blue room. In the end it’s totally up to the club to educate most of its patrons on what good dance music is IMO. Many styles of dance music aren’t popular and accessible to most people but you guys are. You guys have a very LOYAL following that loves “clubspace” regardless.

The only 2 clubs that really care what I think are Lola's and Space. That's why I gave my opinion. I’m not a space hater. I’ve had a lot of fun at space and I give you guys props all the time.

;)

I’m gonna finish the job that stryke never finished with you!!!!!!!!!!

OH....OK....so now we are going to start breaking down posts descarga style huh? well two can play at that game mister!!!

I wouldn’t label DHM as just deephouse DJ’s. They spin a hybrid style of house inspite of what the acronym means. They’re more on the experimental side.

Well....that sounds very nice....but then don't throw me into the progressive, Tribal box....anyone who has heard me play at Space consistently for the past 2 years knows I play a huge variation of dance music with my foundation being house.....on any given night I will play anything from latin house, tribal, progressive, deep-house, classics, electro ,techno, breaks, trance, I'll even play some classic rock when we get into the wee hours along with some classic Salsoul style disco....

Ognaku was very experimental and they were on a techno tip. Yes, I think Space could change it up a little more often. That doesn't just mean deephouse. Let's hear Techno, Breaks, Spanish house whatever. I realize you guys have tried these styles before but it's not that often.

First of all Stryke sucks and Ongaku was a piece of crap:laugh:

Second of all, you will hear all of the above mentioned styles on any given night at Space (and then some)...and as far as Techno...I think it is safe to say I play more techno than anybody else in this town (just ask Stryke!)....it's not my fault you are a lightweight and you can't hang past 6am....

I don't have a list of the DJ's that have gone to space in the past couple of months but lets pull up the list and discuss them and the style of music they spin..

DHM

Behrouz

Desyn Masiello

Bill Hamel

Danny Howells

Tiesto

Mauro Picotto

Slacker

Saeed & Palaash

Danny Tenaglia

Stryke

Edgar V.

Steve Lawler

Taucher

Anthony Pappa

John Creamer

I'd say there is some variety there....

That’s not true, I like progressive. I bought several Deepdish comps, Appapa, Transport, the Global Underground series – I don’t know how many releases etc etc etc… - so your momma on this point!

Ok...you officially like progressive....congratulations.....la tuya!!!

That’s a good point. What I should’ve said is that space already has a resident that is a master in that genre of music. When it comes to tribal I’ve never heard anyone do it better then you. FACT. IMO You guys could’ve gone a different route and gotten DJ that was proficient with another style of music.

That's not fair.....you can't say nice things about me when we are in the middle of a debate...that is playing dirty and I won't stand for it.....one more outburst like that and you are disqualified!!!!

Again, another point I concede because you know the crowd better then I do. Migs would not work in the main room but he might work in the patio. The crowd is used to progressive so it’s all they expect to hear. If they hear progressive all the time and then one day out of the blue you shock them with deephouse of course they’re not going to be receptive to it.

I really don't think the crowd is used to progressive....if anything, that is the genre I play the least....I would say the majority of what I play is straight up house...with some tribal and latin elements.....then techno a little later on....Roland is more the progressive master as far as Space, and he is on the patio....which is perfect because it gives you a whole different option on the patio....

As far as Tiesto goes in Lola’s I think trance represents an extreme aspect of dance music because of it’s fast BPM. DnB is another genre that sits on the fringe of dance music . IMO it’s not really a fare comparison I’m not asking you to play downtempo in the blue room. In the end it’s totally up to the club to educate most of its patrons on what good dance music is IMO. Many styles of dance music aren’t popular and accessible to most people but you guys are. You guys have a very LOYAL following that loves “clubspace” regardless.

I think the Tiesto comparison is totally fair....I am taking a DJ that can clearly play in the main room at Space and comparing him to a dj that can clearly play at Lola and the fact is they cannot switch places....

as far as educating our patrons as to what good dance music is.....Well GA ...we like to think we have developed a loyal following because we DO play good dance music....And after all the name of the night is HOUSESSIONS....and I totally admit that I am 110% partial to house music....that is the theme of the night....and that is how we have built a night.....changing it up drastically on a regular basis would make for inconsistency and who wants that??? We have a music format on Saturdays and we book DJs who we think will compliment that music format and are among the best at what they do.....that is what a night is all about ....a certain musical envroment and vibe that is consistently there from week to week...

The only 2 clubs that really care what I think are Lola's and Space. That's why I gave my opinion. I’m not a space hater. I’ve had a lot of fun at space and I give you guys props all the time..

SPACE HATER!!! SPACE HATER!!! ALERT!!! SPACE HATER!!!

(and no we don't care what you think....lol)

I’m gonna finish the job that stryke never finished with you!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah you and Stryke come see me tough guy....I got some caps fo' yo asses...

BTW: this post took way too much time from my life to write....please don't reply so that I don't have waste more of my precious time!!!

(actually I'm sick as a dog at home and had nothing better to do;) )

HA!

Guest saleen351

We have a music format on Saturdays and we book DJs who we think will compliment that music format and are among the best at what they do.....that is what a night is all about ....a certain musical envroment and vibe that is consistently there from week to week...

BULL MOTHERFUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'll take that comment up with you on pm...

Well....that sounds very nice....but then don't throw me into the progressive, Tribal box....

In trying to explain what I meant I got hung up on music labels. It’s the way the tracks are structured and the characteristics they share like bpm (tempo, rythm), hard sounding beats, dark sounding synths. Typically the structure of the tracks are Intro, Build up, Crescendo, plateau although not always in that order. These characteristics consistently show up on the records I hear at space the times I've gone. These same characteristics can show up on all kinds of other house genres too. So “yes” space definitely plays all kinds of house music but IMO a lot of the tracks while blending elements from other genre’s and being completely different styles of house still have these characteristics in common. That's what I was talking about. That's not to say you guys don't deviate from the norm. I'm basing my opinion on what I hear most frequently the times I've gone.

anyone who has heard me play at Space consistently for the past 2 years knows I play a huge variation of dance music with my foundation being house.....on any given night I will play anything from latin house, tribal, progressive, deep-house, classics, electro ,techno, breaks, trance, I'll even play some classic rock when we get into the wee hours along with some classic Salsoul style disco....

I’ll take this smack down like a man.

I think it is safe to say I play more techno than anybody else in this town (just ask Stryke!)....it's not my fault you are a lightweight and you can't hang past 6am....

Alright, ya got me! So you play some techno and I didn’t know about it. I feel like the old guy at the amusement park that scooby doo and his gang bust at the end of every episode. “If it wasn’t for you pesky space DJ’s”

as far as educating our patrons as to what good dance music is.....Well GA ...we like to think we have developed a loyal following because we DO play good dance music....

I’m SORRY SORRY SORRY. That’s a big NO NO on my part. I got love for you guys and appreciate you guys coming on the board and discussing stuff with us. Sorry if insinuated something that is completely off. Believe me it wasn’t on purpose. What I wanted to say and what I said are 2 different things.

And after all the name of the night is HOUSESSIONS....and I totally admit that I am 110% partial to house music....that is the theme of the night....and that is how we have built a night.....changing it up drastically on a regular basis would make for inconsistency and who wants that???

There is a music format to house sessions. The guest DJ’s are usually Deepdish, Saeed and Palash, Anthony Pappa, John Creamer, now Steve Lawler. Everytime I’ve checked these guys out they’ve sounded progressive or the tracks they chose have the characteristics I mentioned in the beginning of this post.

I'll discuss DJ's on another post. I"m beat. Work kicked my ass today.

Tag, your it!