Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Diggers and Jimmy Van last nite...

No threads yet - so I'll start it - Centro was jammed I mean really packed (they actaully stopped taking coats after a while because it was too full) but for the most part the vibe was incredible.

Jimmy Van has always been the perfect warm up for Diggers and in true form he was again. Don't know a lot of the tracks he spun but the crowd was very into him. Diggers started at 2:30 got on the mic and started complaining about how long a train ride it took him to get here. From that point it was just amazing - First track the Lex Ave remix of Depeche Mode and the crowd was going crazy. He played a sick breaks track like 3 tracks in which was incredible. Other tracks I recognized in that first hour was Infusion-Legacy (Junkie XL remix) and Magan & Del Rio meet Lopez-Carolina (Kut N Paste mix). Had to leave by 4 to get up today so couldnt stay unfortunately

Getting the coats at the end was unreal-I mean they are not staffed correctly plus I think their system for the coats seemed fucked up because it was taking them a long time to find peoples coats.

Womdering how long he spun until - anyone stay to the end? Hope he comes back to Centro soon - it was great

-Trancer:rolleyes:

Yeah, great set and great party (all things considered)

Digweed ended at 6. The last hour was great, especially as there was more space (but still a pretty full floor) after most people had left. The crowd that remained still wanted more after his encore.

I was feeling JVM a lot more than I did when he opened for Sasha at Roxy.

I first saw the chaos at returning end of the coat check at 3 am. Why were so many people leaving when Digweed had just started? Luckily it wasn't so bad at closing, but maybe I just got there early for that crowd.

OK first time at Centro, and I felt like I was in a mini-Twilo. Even the setup of the lights was the same, but of course toned down. BUt that star in the middle of the floor is just like Twilo's swirl.

Digweed was great but I have heard him play better. His mixing is sick, and I had such a great time there. I still can't believe how phat Centro is. I have been away far too long.

I like how he played voices and a few other classics at the end, he was really banging it out. He's great and you can tell he loves playing in NYC.

Happy -TGiving

Originally posted by bassboy

OK first time at Centro, and I felt like I was in a mini-Twilo. Even the setup of the lights was the same, but of course toned down. BUt that star in the middle of the floor is just like Twilo's swirl.

Digweed was great but I have heard him play better. His mixing is sick, and I had such a great time there. I still can't believe how phat Centro is. I have been away far too long.

I like how he played voices and a few other classics at the end, he was really banging it out. He's great and you can tell he loves playing in NYC.

Happy -TGiving

Diggers has Pneumonia and has been sick the past few days......even cancelled a show in Philly I believe. All I know is he chugged half a bottle of DayQuil then went on.

His mixing is phenominal, its like he is just playing a CD that was perfectly produced. BTW.....he blows the shit outta PVD in that department. As for the music......what an onslaught of jammin beats.

Had a GREAT time last night! Diggers's set was AWESOME - I found it really hard not to try yanking a few of his records when he wasn't looking 'cause I'd LOVE to own some of those tracks - and it's enthralling to watch him work his magic on the turntables!

Spent quite some time down on the floor dancing my ass off too, but it was SO hot on the main floor. Pinky room was a little better temp wise and the main floor had fortunately unclogged a bit by the time Digweed went on, so dancing became possible.

Also, I thought JVM's set was quite good - I had heard some not-so-great reviews from when he'd opened for sasha @ roxy, but once again it appears he's pulled it off! Great night over all, and huge thanks to Sevan from District - you're the MAN Sev!!! :D

<now that i managed not to pass out on my plate at dinner, i'm going to sleep!>

First time seeing hte man live. HOLY SHIT! I don't think I have ever danced so much! I had the time of my life!

THe only complaint I have was waiting on line outside for an hour and a half because I had bought my tickets ahead of time. WILL CALL! Yeah will call you a SUCKER!

As far as the coat check, I think their system going in was pretty damn good. The line moved fast considering there was like 3000000 people trying to check them. As far as getting them afterwards...Well what can you expect when the same 300000 people are trying to get their coat and there is no order no line.

Originally posted by cmb1975

First time seeing hte man live. HOLY SHIT! I don't think I have ever danced so much! I had the time of my life!

THe only complaint I have was waiting on line outside for an hour and a half because I had bought my tickets ahead of time. WILL CALL! Yeah will call you a SUCKER!

As far as the coat check, I think their system going in was pretty damn good. The line moved fast considering there was like 3000000 people trying to check them. As far as getting them afterwards...Well what can you expect when the same 300000 people are trying to get their coat and there is no order no line.

what a joke with the tickets...we were lamenting how we didnt get tickets and would be stuck on line for hours. soon as we went on we were told cash ticket purchases were $30 (gosh i hope you didn't buy them from cp) and there was no line... should have gone back and put my coat back in the car at that point, but w/e........

overall, it was awesome

My review:

Knowing that centro has had 3+ hour lines for superstar djs (deep dish) we decided to show up at 8:30 to make the most of the open bar. they didn't start letting people in until around 9:30. We were only able to make it in by 10 because of thorin aiello, who gets major props for going above and beyond the call of duty. Its good to know that there are good people in clubland.

also major props to the centrofly bouncer who remembered us from limelight, and let us bypass the coatcheck so we could hit up the bar. again, good people in clubland.

the open bar was a major disaster for me, as open bars tend to be. centro managed to avoid a riot by extending the open bar until 10:30, but that cunt bartender didn't tell me that vodka-imitation redbulls were not part of the open bar and charged me $20 anyway. Major FUCK YOU goes out to that grubby bitch. Did manage to weasel two drinks out of the open bar though, using the most foul tasting vodka i've ever had in my life. But enough about that.

Coatcheck was fine, considering it was PACKED so no complaints there. Though i hear they stopped collecting because they ran out of hangers. Oops.

As expected it was impossible to move on either dancefloor, but that's ok - its digweed. Nobody had any doubts that it was going to be PACKED. I thought that the star was a nice touch - reminded me of the flux capacitor (its what makes time travel possible), though i did miss the swirl. Thank GOD they got rid of the podium in the center. Also, they disposed of the table-service only rules in all of the sitting areas, which made it a lot easier to chill as the night went on. I'm glad centro wised up to that one. And the closing time ? was never really a question mark at all.

Jimmy van M was good, but the repetitiveness got really tedious at around 2pm, when we were aching to get some digweed on. This one girl we had met on the line kept on saying that she heard from a "reliable source" that diggers wasn't going to show up because he was sick.

digweed was on point as usual - that sick distorted hi-hat, the tribal filtered clickey-sound, the layered beats that made his sound so unique before progressive got huge was in full effect. And me, who usually despises anything resembling a breakbeat, relished in the smatterings of broken 4-3-4 that showed up every once in a while... especially the penultimate encore.

Moving around was a little problematic during most of the night - there was really no room to dance until around 4, but after that it was the perfect combination of packed energy.

As mentioned before, they shut down the bar promptly at 6, followed by a mass exodus, and those of us that remained on the dancefloor were begging for one more choon.

(mad props to one of the busboys, who gave us a glass of water even after the entire bar was cellophaned up)

This was definitely one of the most fun nights i've had at centrofly in a long time, though i still think that the club's very overt greed premeates everything they do, and it will only be when that changes that the club returns to its former glory. i, for one, am happy to have been fortunate to have attended an event like this, and i hope that in the future centro continues to throw these "massives", and continue to strike a better balance between courtesy and the bottom line... because the music is already there.

peaz,

rob

ps have you ever noticed that no centrofly employee ever smiles? they are surrounded by all of this great music but they just look so miserable. what's up with that????

Originally posted by brickhouse

It's Centro Fly man....get your shit right, their e's weren't wearing off, they ran out of coke you cracka ass cracka!

:rofl: Hmm sounds like someone I know there...

There were a lot of people rolling though. People seem to volunteer that information a lot - and i heard plenty of "i'm rolling my face off" on wed. nite!

Oh yeah and I saw glowsticks in centro for the first time ever! bwahahahahaha

Originally posted by dialectics

My review:

Knowing that centro has had 3+ hour lines for superstar djs (deep dish) we decided to show up at 8:30 to make the most of the open bar. they didn't start letting people in until around 9:30. We were only able to make it in by 10 because of thorin aiello, who gets major props for going above and beyond the call of duty. Its good to know that there are good people in clubland.

also major props to the centrofly bouncer who remembered us from limelight, and let us bypass the coatcheck so we could hit up the bar. again, good people in clubland.

the open bar was a major disaster for me, as open bars tend to be. centro managed to avoid a riot by extending the open bar until 10:30, but that cunt bartender didn't tell me that vodka-imitation redbulls were not part of the open bar and charged me $20 anyway. Major FUCK YOU goes out to that grubby bitch. Did manage to weasel two drinks out of the open bar though, using the most foul tasting vodka i've ever had in my life. But enough about that.

Coatcheck was fine, considering it was PACKED so no complaints there. Though i hear they stopped collecting because they ran out of hangers. Oops.

As expected it was impossible to move on either dancefloor, but that's ok - its digweed. Nobody had any doubts that it was going to be PACKED. I thought that the star was a nice touch - reminded me of the flux capacitor (its what makes time travel possible), though i did miss the swirl. Thank GOD they got rid of the podium in the center. Also, they disposed of the table-service only rules in all of the sitting areas, which made it a lot easier to chill as the night went on. I'm glad centro wised up to that one. And the closing time ? was never really a question mark at all.

Jimmy van M was good, but the repetitiveness got really tedious at around 2pm, when we were aching to get some digweed on. This one girl we had met on the line kept on saying that she heard from a "reliable source" that diggers wasn't going to show up because he was sick.

digweed was on point as usual - that sick distorted hi-hat, the tribal filtered clickey-sound, the layered beats that made his sound so unique before progressive got huge was in full effect. And me, who usually despises anything resembling a breakbeat, relished in the smatterings of broken 4-3-4 that showed up every once in a while... especially the penultimate encore.

Moving around was a little problematic during most of the night - there was really no room to dance until around 4, but after that it was the perfect combination of packed energy.

As mentioned before, they shut down the bar promptly at 6, followed by a mass exodus, and those of us that remained on the dancefloor were begging for one more choon.

(mad props to one of the busboys, who gave us a glass of water even after the entire bar was cellophaned up)

This was definitely one of the most fun nights i've had at centrofly in a long time, though i still think that the club's very overt greed premeates everything they do, and it will only be when that changes that the club returns to its former glory. i, for one, am happy to have been fortunate to have attended an event like this, and i hope that in the future centro continues to throw these "massives", and continue to strike a better balance between courtesy and the bottom line... because the music is already there.

peaz,

rob

ps have you ever noticed that no centrofly employee ever smiles? they are surrounded by all of this great music but they just look so miserable. what's up with that????

*applause* *applause*

Well said. However, I did manage to get a smile from the bouncer as I was leaving when I wish him a happy turkey day! And the coat check dude with teh wild hair. We had a little inside joke going on line so I had him smiling!

Originally posted by dialectics

My review:

peaz,

rob

Just some comments about your review:

1) This was definitely one of the most fun nights i've had at centrofly in a long time, though i still think that the club's very overt greed premeates everything they do, and it will only be when that changes that the club returns to its former glory.

Just wondering, how is it that the club's "overt greed permeates everything they do"? The owners of Centro-Fly are the anything but greedy. You got to see Digweed for a $25 ticket, open bar until 10:30, and you consider that to be greedy? Funny because Sasha played at Roxy for $40, Deep Dish at Exit for $45, hell even Danny Tenaglia and Howells played at Arc last night for $35 (and they play in NYC REGULARLY and you have NO LIQUOR). Do you consider these clubs to be greedy? For all you know, Centro could have charged the patrons $50 and people would have still came out in droves to see Digweed, but that wasnt the case.

The club even went as far as to buy an Allen & Heath mixer (the first one in North America) which Digweed requested, added two huge bass cabinets to upgrade the sound and installed an entirely new lighting booth and system to make that night fabulous for all its patrons. Now of course you are entitled to your opinion man and I respect that, but by you calling the owners greedy then that just shows how that you dont understand what kind of hardwork goes into throwing this kind of party.

2) ps have you ever noticed that no centrofly employee ever smiles? they are surrounded by all of this great music but they just look so miserable. what's up with that????

Well of course every club employee would love to have a good time when they are working and most nights that is the case, however when you have a night as massive as last Wednesday where they had the greatest night as far as attendance at centro-fly, there is lots of work to be done and people are concentrating on getting their job done. Please keep in mind that there were 3000 people there on Wednesday night, it was very hectic for any bartender/doorperson/coat check/bouncer to work under those conditions. Overall they did a great job making sure everything went along smoothly with no problems so they must be commended for that. The bouncers take their job seriously...Im sure you can catch them smiling from time to time as well :)

Overall its cool to see that you and so many others had such a great time at Centro on Wednesday (also appreciate your critiscm), we're very happy with the way it turned out :) Digweed and Van M were great and class guys to boot. Hopefully this night will set precedence for future big nights to come at Centro...you guys coming out to support events like this is the only thing that will help NYC bust out of the nightlife slump its currently facing.

Originally posted by Abstrakt

Just some comments about your review:

1) This was definitely one of the most fun nights i've had at centrofly in a long time, though i still think that the club's very overt greed premeates everything they do, and it will only be when that changes that the club returns to its former glory.

Just wondering, how is it that the club's "overt greed permeates everything they do"? The owners of Centro-Fly are the anything but greedy. You got to see Digweed for a $25 ticket, open bar until 10:30, and you consider that to be greedy? Funny because Sasha played at Roxy for $40, Deep Dish at Exit for $45, hell even Danny Tenaglia and Howells played at Arc last night for $35 (and they play in NYC REGULARLY and you have NO LIQUOR). Do you consider these clubs to be greedy? For all you know, Centro could have charged the patrons $50 and people would have still came out in droves to see Digweed, but that wasnt the case.

The club even went as far as to buy an Allen & Heath mixer (the first one in North America) which Digweed requested, added two huge bass cabinets to upgrade the sound and installed an entirely new lighting booth and system to make that night fabulous for all its patrons. Now of course you are entitled to your opinion man and I respect that, but by you calling the owners greedy then that just shows how that you dont understand what kind of hardwork goes into throwing this kind of party.

2) ps have you ever noticed that no centrofly employee ever smiles? they are surrounded by all of this great music but they just look so miserable. what's up with that????

Well of course every club employee would love to have a good time when they are working and most nights that is the case, however when you have a night as massive as last Wednesday where they had the greatest night as far as attendance at centro-fly, there is lots of work to be done and people are concentrating on getting their job done. Please keep in mind that there were 3000 people there on Wednesday night, it was very hectic for any bartender/doorperson/coat check/bouncer to work under those conditions. Overall they did a great job making sure everything went along smoothly with no problems so they must be commended for that. The bouncers take their job seriously...Im sure you can catch them smiling from time to time as well :)

Overall its cool to see that you and so many others had such a great time at Centro on Wednesday (also appreciate your critiscm), we're very happy with the way it turned out :) Digweed and Van M were great and class guys to boot. Hopefully this night will set precedence for future big nights to come at Centro...you guys coming out to support events like this is the only thing that will help NYC bust out of the nightlife slump its currently facing.

quit bitchin about people bitchin ;)

na seriously though i had a great time.. thought the club was extremely well organized.. staff was amazing.. owners and everyone running the party were amazing.. can't sing there praises enough.. it was great to see a club really hold up on their promises, especially when so many lie through there teeth about everything.. centro came through on everything they promised and i know personally, i admit, i doubted them.. as 915, and 930 rolled around, i thought, hmmm typical club bullshit, and that the open bar would last 10 mins by the time they let anyone.. but it didn't.. they hooked it up big time, and let it go til 1030 since they started letting people in at 930.. and the bartenders were cool as shit.. i got 2 more drinks at 1030 on the button as i was waiting for a bartender to serve me and my boy.. i figured as soon as he said that it was over, that i was gonna have to pay for my drink.. but he's like, na na i got you... :eek: needless to say i was shocked, but very pleasantly surprised...

mad props to all people involved w/ this party.. pure class...

though i will say, the one disappointement for me personally, was digweed.. but then again, i've always said his style is a bit to linear for me.. but all in all, amazing nite :)

in response to abstrakt:

1) i agree with what you say about digweed wednesday. centro went above and beyond to make sure that everything was orderly, safe and fun. the ticket price was $10-20 less then anyt other wednesday party i would have considered going to, and the staff and the promoters, as you know since you've read my review, were extremely friendly and helpful.

but this was a very different night then centro is used to hosting. i haven't been to a thursday party recently, but in terms of friday and saturday, i will only go if there is a dj i really REALLY want to see, because i'm sick and tired of being treated like a cash register. centro has become like disneyland - only instead of mazes to hide obscenely long lines, they have little rules to hide hidden fees. on the 1st floor there is only one bench you can sit on without requiring waitress or bottle service - and pinky is usually closed for a private party or because there just aren't enough people in the club. a while back i was charged $2 extra to have real redbull put in my drink, and got the imitation shit anyway. and i've heard bathroom attendants mouth off after people have walked out without tipping for a paper towel - like you have to pay to piss now too. And finally, we used to pay $10 cover and get a free drink ticket or two. Now its $20, and no drink tickets, which doesn't seem worth it since the club is empty by 4-4:30 anyway.

I'm not averse to paying for clubs/parties, obviously people put in a lot of time, effort and capital and they should be rewarded. It is a business like any other, and i benefit from their services. what i don't like is that once they have my money, they overtly try and weasel out a little more.

but on a side note, i've never had problems at the door - they've always honored whatever guestlist/reduced list i've been on, though sometimes you have to do a little friendly negotiating, its not bad at all.

2) as for the smiling - it wasn't just on wednesday when it was incredibly crowded, its like that all the time. i don't know enough about the management or organization of the club, so i can only comment about what i see - it just seems like they're all miserable. i can't imagine they don't have a single employee who applied to work there because they liked the place, the music or the vibe. granted the bouncers are friendly when they're not in patrol mode (at the end of the night, on the line, etc). Oh and once a bartender noticed that a friend of mine had no intention of paying her half of our bar tab, so she "bought" me a few vodka-redbulls which was very very cool. But otherwise, the not similing thing was an observation that someone made on wednesday and the more i think about it, the more it rings true.

thanks for your comments!

peaz,

rob

Originally posted by Abstrakt

I forgot about this paragraph when i wrote my reply just now - but i wanted to say hellz yeah - i hope that digweed/van m sets a precedent in a big way for future nights at centro because it was definitely one of the most fun i've had in a long time. this and circo loco thursday have made it the best 2 day clubbing stretch i've had since i got back from europe this summer. keep up the good work!

peaz,

rob

ps - as per the ny nightlife slump, it seems like the one thing we're missing is a choice venue for massives like twilo/ll/tunnel. but in terms of brining in top international talent with a good vibe, that happens weekly at places like baktun, centro, and as much as i hate to admit i'm wrong, arc. RT