Clubplanet Nightlife Community

So, did Oakey spin @ Limelight on Thanksgiving?

pk1

yes, it went down.

i got there around 10:30...i think there were about 20 people in the place. no shit, it was empty. hernan was at the wheel. i think he's great, but clearly, with no crowd, there was no vibe. that kinda sucked. i saw him spin cream at amnesia in summer 2001 and he brought the place down. personally i think they should have had hernan go after oakey.

anyway, the cool thing was that on the balcony, you're just above eye level with the dj, and can get relatively close. so we went over there and were waving to hernan, etc. i took some pictures....no idea if they'll come out. anyway, hernan went til about 12, 12:30, then oakey took over. by that time there were a few more people there, but still the balconies and dance floor weren't even half full. which is fine with me....i'd rather have them all to myself. :tongue:

i thought oakey spun a good set, especially given the small crowd. he was doing his usual thing....dancing around, pointing at people (pointing at us!), doing the god pose, etc. oh, and he was wearing a brazil national team jersey....amusing given the anecdote of the beach soccer match on the thirst tour webpage. i digress....

i was pretty gone by the time oakey came on, so i only have 2 recollections of the set list.

1. sick mix of southern sun...don't know which one...but i love that song and was happy to hear it.

2. where the streets have no name!!! my favorite u2 song from my favorite dj. my life as an oakenfold fan is now complete. don't know if it was the davoli mix or what, but i have always said if i ever heard him drop that song i would lose my shit. reaction was as expected. i'm still reeling....

anyway, set ended not long after that. i think he finished up around 2:30...although i thought it was supposed to be a 3 hour set, not a 2 hour set. it definitely felt short...we thought he was taking a break, but then he went hugging everyone in the dj booth so we knew it was over. we followed him down the stairs afterward, but then they ushered him outside, and off he went.

don't know who was next....but it was good. danced for a few more hours then stumbled home around 5:30. the place was pretty cleared out by then.

as for the club itself....

i like the lights, and i didn't think the sound was that bad. again, the place wasn't packed, so that could have made a difference. the renovation is beautiful! i think it looks great, and with the small crowd, i didn't have to wait for the bathroom once.

:) the small rooms were all pretty empty...the silver room had one bouncer in it and no one else...i was going there to make phone calls. no joke. only complaint was that they had different music in the silver room, etc. if there's a big dj there, i'd rather hear him throughout the entire place. i almost missed streets because i was in the silver room. anyway, all of the staff was friendly. we were talking to one of the cocktail waitresses, she was a sweetheart. overall, it seems to be professionally run and well organized. hopefully, they'll keep it that way and keep the place open.

overall a good night. the fact that tickets were only $35 made it even better.

vsoto and oakiemon, so good to meet you guys finally! hi to bethany too. hope to see you all again next time....

that was a really good review...but to bash oakenfold a little...who the hell comes to one of the worlds most famous clubs and spins a 2 hour set???....i spin longer sets sitting in my bedroom.....and my only fan is my dog sitting on my bed....that guy had the world by the balls, but i really think that he has lost the respect that you need to survive as a superstar in this industry.....to many hungry bastards out there.....after all of the reviews i would not be suprised if oakenfold will not be welcome back in new york for a while....

That was the Gabriel and Dresden Mix of Southern Sun that he dropped.

However, I thought the roof was gonna blow off when he dropped The day after...i love that track!:cool:

First off, let me say I wasn't expecting much since everyone was saying he is starting to fall off, plus everyone saying on here how he sucked at Exit (But who gives a fuck cause EXIT blows anyway.) With that said, overall I think Oakie played a pretty sick set, I also saw him last year as well @ hammerstein. Though I thought the Hammerstein set was WAY better than his set last night....maybe it was just cause there wasn't as good of a vibe from the crowd as last year. Either way his set last night was good. I was def. feeling and especially thanks to the Bartender at the downstairs bar for hookin up the Kettle One for $5!!! :eek: Not to mention she was gorgeous as well, but back to the topic.

As I was dancing my ass off last night, I couldnt help but ponder why there are so many Oakie haters. They need to step off. Don't be jealous cause Oakenfold has made it to the top. You can't deny that he changed the DJ game. Rather, he MADE the game. Thank you Oakie for a great night. 2 hour sets or not, the guy has paid his dues so the haters can all STFU. The one thing Oakie does that no other DJ does as well IMO is gradually raising the energy level of the crowd to a peak, and then he just blows off the roof by playing a track that no one expects or that fits the mood perfectly.

The 'god' pose was definatly in effect last night, lol.

And no shit i got there around 12 or so and there were seriously 30 people on the dancefloor downstairs and probably 50 upstairs if that....no shit. We were up on the balcony and I was watching Oakies technics:hat: and he looked up an me and my friend and gave us a shrug and looks down at the 20 people dancing, then looks back at us with a 'wtf' look on his place and we jsut shrugged back at him....kinda funny. Gotta love the praying and god pose. It inspired me to make up 'the Oakie' a new dance in which you hop side to side then fade back gradually doing the 'god' pose:laugh:

All I can say is I had a great time and Estate kicks. But it was cold as hell in that place...which i guess is better than the night before at centro-fly when it was like 1000 degrees in the main room.

Thanks Oakie

Originally posted by earthling

Can someone please tell me how this guy comes all the way to NY and plays 2 hour sets? I cant understand how people support

this guy :confused: For the money he gets he should spin all nite like from 11 pm till 6am. I guess people let him get away with it so :confused:

First of all, he was @ Exit the night before. I don't know how his set was, but he was also up against some superstar D.J.'s that night: Diggers and Jimmy Van M @ Centro Fly, DT & Limelight(along w/ Dave Waxman). So, most of the tri-state area was recuperating from the madness that went on in NYC on Thanxgiving Eve! Let alone eveyone who went out that night was broke as hell the next day so it was tuff for Oakey to draw a big crowd for Limelight. I don't think this event was even being promoted at all considering nobody knew if tickets were available or even if Estate would be open in time for the Thanksgiving Holiday.

So w/ that said I think it was cool that he even showed up and played to the... what was it .....THE 50 PEOPLE THAT WERE THERE!

I know most DJ's who are up at that level would have complained if they were in that situation and would not even step into the dj booth.

So read the reviews from the people that actually went to the club that night and they will say he was sick and he always will be. Whether it's for an hour or 12 hours he will still bring you into that "level" that makes everyone in that club forget about everything else for one moment and enjoy the magic that he treats us with. And that my friend, is why so many people "support this guy" Paul Oakenfold.

Yes, people think he is a sell-out, and they are entitled to their own opinion. But as long as he is leaving people with the satisfaction of his music, he is doing his job.

While on the air on Z-100, Oakey was asked by a fan "So what do you think about people calling you a "sell-out"? Oakey replies, A "sell-out"? .....Yes, I've been selling out gigs for the past ten years!"

:laugh:

Originally posted by pk1

First of all, he was @ Exit the night before. I don't know how his set was, but he was also up against some superstar D.J.'s that night: Diggers and Jimmy Van M @ Centro Fly, DT & Limelight(along w/ Dave Waxman). So, most of the tri-state area was recuperating from the madness that went on in NYC on Thanxgiving Eve! Let alone eveyone who went out that night was broke as hell the next day so it was tuff for Oakey to draw a big crowd for Limelight. I don't think this event was even being promoted at all considering nobody knew if tickets were available or even if Estate would be open in time for the Thanksgiving Holiday.

So w/ that said I think it was cool that he even showed up and played to the... what was it .....THE 50 PEOPLE THAT WERE THERE!

I know most DJ's who are up at that level would have complained if they were in that situation and would not even step into the dj booth.

So read the reviews from the people that actually went to the club that night and they will say he was sick and he always will be. Whether it's for an hour or 12 hours he will still bring you into that "level" that makes everyone in that club forget about everything else for one moment and enjoy the magic that he treats us with. And that my friend, is why so many people "support this guy" Paul Oakenfold.

Yes, people think he is a sell-out, and they are entitled to their own opinion. But as long as he is leaving people with the satisfaction of his music, he is doing his job.

While on the air on Z-100, Oakey was asked by a fan "So what do you think about people calling you a "sell-out"? Oakey replies, A "sell-out"? .....Yes, I've been selling out gigs for the past ten years!"

:laugh:

No, that's BS. He always charges monster fees and spins for all of two hours.

all these guys charge a lot of $$ to see them. i've paid the same amount for tickets to see oakey, pvd and tiesto in NYC.

it's still cheaper than seeing them in london or ibiza, so i'm not complaining.

as for the 2 hours sets, we all wish all of our favorite djs would spin longer sets. i'm not sure it's often up to the dj how long he spins, but more likely the club owners, managers, promoters, etc. of the three last times i've seen oakey, he has spun 2 hours (the other night), 3 hours (CPI, July 02) and 4 hours (Centro-fly, spring 02). yes, the night at centrofly was my favorite by far, but i'd rather see a 2 hour set than none at all.

finally, i don't think anyone needs to make excuses for the size of the crowd at limelight. people complain when the club is too full, and they complain when the club is too empty. if you like the dj, go enjoy the music. if you don't, don't. if you like the club, go to the club. if you don't, go somewhere else. we're talking about music and nightlife here, i don't understand why there have to be so many haters.....