Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What Ever Happened to That Smoking Law?

Originally posted by codica3

Yeah.. they can't even keep a control over the substances that are already illegal.

Uhhh...I think this would be just a *bit* easier to catch people in the act. All you need is a working nose.

Also, it won't be just the authorities' job to enforce. Bar/restaurant owners will need to do their job, or face stiff fines. I also see this more likely to pass now than even a month ago. Some thoughts...

- Polls show the majority of NYers favor the ban. Something like 55-45 in favor. With the mayor's popularity dipping lately he'll need to do something (albeit this is kind of small) to appease the majority of tax payers. With only 1 in 5 people being smokers, the odds of the tables turning in poll numbers are slim.

- With the struggling city economy Mayor Mike is betting on business increasing and not decreasing because of the ban. Not to mention the large fines that the city can collect from certain establishments.

- NYC would certainly be looked down upon if this did not pass. With several states and many cities already passing it (including Florida and Nassau County most recently), NY will likely follow suit, and that would likely be the catalyst for the ban spreading rapidly accross the country.

This info is based on what I've encountered in the news, and doesn't reflect my own opinion on the matter.

According to NY1.com, the vote should happen some time in January. They are expecting all to be said and done by July 2003, when the new fiscal year starts.