Clubplanet Nightlife Community

TV and the War in Iraq/Afghanistan

funkd

TV has achieved a God-like status in our society. People worship their fuckin TV. "i can't live without my TV, i can't live without 'Friends', 'The Sopranos', 'Oprah'." EAch day people spend hours infront of it supposedly getting the "news". But what most don't realize is that ALL the channels are owned by about 6 megacorporations.

To quote from Robert W. McChesney's book CORPORATE MEDIA AND THE THREAT TO DEMOCRACY...."Time Warner for example, owns music recording studios, film and television production studios, several cable televisioni channels, cable broadcasting systems, amusement parks, the WB network, book publishing houses, magazines, magazine publishing interests, retail stores, motion picture theaters, and much else."

The TV is so good at brainwashing people that they never stop to think about what interests the corporations might have to portray news the way they do.

since 9-11 have you seen on any of the major news networks an interview with an iraqi/afghani american protesting the war because his family is over there and does not support terrorism??!! SUCH AN INTERVIEW WOULD BE HARDPRESSED TO FIND BECAUSE THE MEDIA HAS A VESTED INTEREST IN SCARING EVERYONE SO PEOPLE WILL KEEP WATCHING AND BUYING PRODUCTS THAT THE NETWORKS OWN DURING COMMERCIALS TO MAKE YOU FEEL SAFE IN YOUR SUBURBAN AMERICAN HOME BUT CLUELESS AS TO WHAT'S REALLY GOING ON AROUND YOU BECAUSE THEY THINK YOU'RE ALL MORONS BUT YOU'RE NOT.

show the corporations how smart you are throw your TV away, u can do almost everything else on the internet with a highspeed connection

And notice how it's a big no-no if you don't support this "war on terrorism" in this country. Your seen as being "Un-patriotic or un-american" President Bush and his regime have been saying this since the attacks: "Your either on our side or there side."

I can't even watch CNN or FOX NEWS, I feel like I get dumber every minute just watching them. It's obvious that the media in this country is leaning toward the conservative side. Everything you said about the owners of all the media channels out there is true. There are about only 6.. mostly due to a lot of the mergers in the recent decade. So it's getting worse and worse. And notice how the media in this country never shows "another side of the story"

They didn't show or broadcast a research report done by a professor. Which showed that more innocent civilians died in Afghanistan by US bombs from October 7, 2001 to December 7, 2001 then in the 9/11 attacks. The figure was aorund 3,800 afghan civilians from US bombs, which was stated as being a "conservative estimate", the real estimate is more around 5,000.. and that was only on December 7th, there's been a whole lot more of US bombs dropped on Afghanistan since then. More on the story here...

BBC NEWS: Afghan Civilian Deaths Mount

The news media I feel like is trying to make war sound great and that there are no downsides to it, such as masses of people dieing and creating even more social unrest in future decades that could mean more trouble or the us the US and the world.

Also I think it's funny more then one year after the 9/11 attacks, were at the heels of having a war with a country that we knew had no involvement in the attacks what so ever...

As for me, I try to get my news from media outlets abroad, which are a little less bias, such as the BBC (as is the link i have posted above), and many others. Also MSNBC is ok too, you got my man Phil Donahue there...

Karch

We would hope to think that most of us are smart enough to know that about the media, but sadly enough, most people aren’t. There are so many people out there that don’t even realize how many innocent civilians are being killed by our bombs. There’s a reason those people hate us over there, and the media never portrays that to us.

I’m glad to see some people think beyond what is socially excepted. I'm sure if you had said that on TV you'd be labeled as "un-american." Preach on brotha…

Originally posted by jaybzee

hmmm the same company that creates bombs also controls how we view war...but no matter how much I agree with what has been said----I still need my Sopranos

no you dont....you could live a full, healthy, happy, productive life with out it:tongue: