Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Big crackdown on top L.A. nightclub

CHRles

http://cbs2.com/california/CA--RaveRaid-kn/resources_news_html

A seven-month probe that led to the seizure of more than 10,000 Ecstasy pills culminated in a raid early Sunday at a popular Hollywood nightclub where authorities allege designer drugs were openly sold at rave parties.

Five people were arrested on drug charges during the raid of Circus Disco, capping an undercover investigation by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency and the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.

During that time, alcohol control investigators bought Ecstasy, cocaine, marijuana and ketamine from 25 people. In six cases, the drug sales were either made or facilitated by nightclub employees, the state's alcohol control department said in a statement.

The pills that were seized over the course of the investigation had an estimated street value of more than $200,000, officials said.

No one at the club was available for comment Sunday night.

Investigators targeted Circus Disco following the September 2001 death of a 27-year-old man who collapsed on the dance floor and began having convulsions after taking Ecstasy he allegedly obtained at the nightclub.

The man's parents have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the club's owner, Eugene LaPietra, who spearheaded an unsuccessful ballot measure to have Hollywood secede from the city of Los Angeles.

State officials said they had consulted one of the nation's leading experts on Ecstasy and raves. After visiting Circus Disco, the expert, Trinka D. Porrrata, said the club was clearly hosting raves based on factors ranging from the sale of caffeinated ``power'' drinks that supposedly enhance Ecstasy's hallucination-inducing effects to the loud music and the presence of a ``cooling off'' area staffed by emergency medical technicians.

Although the club remained open Sunday night, the state Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control plans to accuse Circus Disco with violating the terms of its liquor license for allowing ``the conspicuous and blatant use of drugs,'' the agency 5 people. In six cases, the drug sales were either made or facilitated by nightclub employees, the state's alcohol control department said in a statement.

The pills that were seized over the course of the investigation had an estimated street value of more than $200,000, officials said.

No one at the club was available for comment Sunday night.

Investigators targeted Circus Disco following the September 2001 death of a 27-year-old man who collapsed on the dance floor and began having convulsions after taking Ecstasy he allegedly obtained at the nightclub.

The man's parents have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the club's owner, Eugene LaPietra, who spearheaded an unsuccessful ballot measure to have Hollywood secede from the city of Los Angeles.

State officials said they had consulted one of the nation's leading experts on Ecstasy and raves. After visiting Circus Disco, the expert, Trinka D. Porrrata, said the club was clearly hosting raves based on factors ranging from the sale of caffeinated ``power'' drinks that supposedly enhance Ecstasy's hallucination-inducing effects to the loud music and the presence of a ``cooling off'' area staffed by emergency medical technicians.

Although the club remained open Sunday night, the state Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control plans to accuse Circus Disco with violating the terms of its liquor license for allowing ``the conspicuous and blatant use of drugs,'' the agency said in a statement. The action could result in the club having its license to sell liquor suspended.

Originally posted by CHRles

The man's parents have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the club's owner, Eugene LaPietra, who spearheaded an unsuccessful ballot measure to have Hollywood secede from the city ofge"

Originally posted by CHRles

Although the club remained open Sunday night, the state Department of Alcoho Los Angeles.

Although the club remained open Sunday night, the state Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control plans to accuse Circus Disco with violating the terms of its liquor license for allowing ``the conspicuous and blatant use of drugs,'' the agency said in a statement. The action could result in the club having its license to sell liquor suspended.

OK maybe its just me, but WTF does getting caught with drugs or selling them at the actual club have to do with revoking their liquor license suspended? Does our governments "drug control" policy really work this bad?

First off, I dont believe ilic Beverage Control plans to accuse Circus Disco with violating the terms of its liquor license for allowing ``the conspicuous and blatant use of drugs,'' the agency said in a statement. The action could result in the club having its license to sell liquor suspended.

OK maybe its just me, but WTF does getting caught with drugs or selling them at the actual club have to do with revoking their liquor license suspended? Does our governments "drug control" policy really work this bad?

First off, I dont believe i have been to a club here in Miami that primarily spins house/trance that does not have those idiotic "power drinks" that all they do is make you feel like you drank half a gallon of coffee...in fact most of the companies that do have that type of drink sponsor clubs and events...and as far is having emergency medical technicians there??? If there is that much of a problem with drugs at that club they should have just hired the right door people...finding a .25 million in drugs should be a bit easy to find...at least a good portio have been to a club here in Miami that primarily spins house/trance that does not have those idiotic "power drinks" that all they do is make you feel like you drank half a gallon of coffee...in fact most of the companies that do have that type of drink sponsor clubs and events...and as far is having emergency medical technicians there??? If there is that much of a problem with drugs at that club they should have just hired the right door people...finding a .25 million in drugs should be a bit easy to find...at least a good portion of it anyways..but if the club is in on it i can see why people looked over it so blatantly.

I still as of yet do not understand why it would lose its liquor license though. If I remember correctly, during one of the fridays I attended Space at around 4 am there was a drug bust over "suspicion" of narcotics use at the club:rolleyes: ...what did they find? Saleen on whip-its, mrmatas on k, and a few pot smokers:laugh: :laugh::D seriously it was a joke, although they caught a few people with some heavy drugs the venue kept gn of it anyways..but if the club is in on it i can see why people looked over it so blatantly.

I still as of yet do not understand why it would lose its liquor license though. If I remember correctly, during one of the fridays I attended Space at around 4 am there was a drug bust over "suspicion" of narcotics use at the club:rolleyes: ...what did they find? Saleen on whip-its, mrmatas on k, and a few pot smokers:laugh: :laugh::D seriously it was a joke, although they caught a few people with some heavy drugs the venue kept going as usual with no closing down at any time at a later date.

Unfortunately seeing drug users at Space/Spin/Crobar/Level/any club nowadays in miami is about as common as finding someone who speaks spanish in little havana...recently however i have noticed that either the crowd has cleaned up quite a bit or the druggies havent had the money for both their fix and club admission.

Forgive me for the intrusion as a reply but i just had to add my .02 ... busts are meant to clean up the scene not to make it look worse than it ioing as usual with no closing down at any time at a later date.

Unfortunately seeing drug users at Space/Spin/Crobar/Level/any club nowadays in miami is about as common as finding someone who speaks spanish in little havana...recently however i have noticed that either the crowd has cleaned up quite a bit or the druggies havent had the money for both their fix and club admission.

Forgive me for the intrusion as a reply but i just had to add my .02 ... busts are meant to clean up the scene not to make it look worse than it is..but then again the media does all it can to morph something small into something interesting of gigantic proportion/concern...:D Long live extacy!

Carlos :hat:

OOH looky my words come out like gibberish! long live clubplanet! they should do a bust at the sites headquarters and put a stop once and for all to all the drug using site editor that take too much and mess up the coding that makes people write normal...AAAHHH i keep repeating the same paragraphs!:mad: