Clubplanet Nightlife Community

To All Those Who Went To Rebuild Sample Sale

Well , the sale is a great success. We had a great time . Over 30, 000 people came through. All the record Co's represented as well . Thanks to everyone who was there. LOOK OUT FOR THE REBUILD AFTER PARTY DEC.21 @ THE FIRE HOUSE!!!!

New York Times even did a right up on it.

By DENNY LEE

THE SETTING The marble lobby of the old East River Savings Bank in NoLIta, where 200 D. J.'s took turns spinning elevator music for a graffiti-inspired clothing-sample sale. Hip-hop sweatshirts, dot-com cargo pants and modish fanny packs were marked down by up to 85 percent, as part of a two-week sale that runs through today. The scene resembled a hipster's version of Syms, the discount department store.

_ THE BUZZ"This is the cream of the crop of street wear," said Kenya Joseph, an aspiring fashion designer, as she made her way to the cash register on Tuesday with an armful of clothing. "I've been wearing Triple 5 Soul for six years, before anybody knew about them."

Ms. Joseph, a part-time student at the Fashion Institute of Technology, gave a rundown on the brands: Zoo York is favored by skateboarders and graffiti bombers. Hip-hoppers opt for Ecko. Lithium appeals to ravet runs through today. The scene resembled a hipster's version of Syms, the discount department store.

_ THE BUZZ"This is the cream of the crop of street wear," said Kenya Joseph, an aspiring fashion designer, as she made her way to the cash register on Tuesday with an armful of clothing. "I've been wearing Triple 5 Soul for six years, before anybody knew about them."

Ms. Joseph, a part-time student at the Fashion Institute of Technology, gave a rundown on the brands: Zoo York is favored by skateboarders and graffiti bombers. Hip-hoppers opt for Ecko. Lithium appeals to ravers. And Triple 5 Soul, she said, is simply "the downtown urban thing."

The merchandise was displayed on rows of gray utility shelves, Costco style. Shoppers of all stripes rummaged as the D. J. of the hour, Jordan Schuster, a student at New York University, played a mix of "house, breaks and a little bit of techno."

"I'm buying whatever catches my eye," said Ephraim Benton, 25, an actor and party promoter from Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn. After picking out a couple of argyle Ecko sweaters, marked down to $24 from $84, he gave a shout to his friends. "If you want to get stylish, underground flavor, come here."

The sample sale was started by two club-music promoters. Amy Snow runs a "street team" company that hands out party fliers in front of nightclubs. Her partner, Yani Ben-Moshe, moonlights in his family business, buying excess inventory fo ravet runs through today. The scene resembled a hipster's version of Syms, the discount department store.

Ms. Joseph, a part-time student at the Fashion Institute of Technology, gave a rundown on the brands: Zoo York is favored by skateboarders and graffiti bombers. Hip-hoppers opt for Ecko. Lithium appeals to ravers. And Triple 5 Soul, she said, is simply "the downtown urban thing."

The merchandise was displayed on rows of gray utility shelves, Costco style. Shoppers of all stripes rummaged as the D. J. of the hour, Jordan Schuster, a student at New York University, played a mix of "house, breaks and a little bit of techno."

"I'm buying whatever catches my eye," said Ephraim Benton, 25, an actor and party promoter from Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn. After picking out a couple of argyle Ecko sweaters, marked down to $24 from $84, he gave a shout to his friends. "If you want to get stylish, underground flavor, come here."

The sample sale was started by two club-music promoters. Amy Snow runs a "street team" company that hands out party fliers in front of nightclubs. Her partner, Yani Ben-Moshe, moonlights in his family business, buying excess inventory from "urban underground New York labels" and exporting it to South Africa, Europe and Japan.

"There were so many cancellations after 9/11," Mr. Ben-Moshe said. "Last year, instead of having 2,000 pieces, companies had 10,000 pieces left over. My other business is marketing electronic music, so I combined the two."

They spread the word by printing up party fliers and getting their D. J. friends to e-mail party lists. Part of the last year's proceeds were donated to victims of the Sept. 11 attacks. This year, donations are being made to the United Homeless Organization. "It makrom "urban underground New York labels" and exporting it to South Africa, Europe and Japan.

"There were so many cancellations after 9/11," Mr. Ben-Moshe said. "Last year, instead of having 2,000 pieces, companies had 10,000 pieces left over. My other business is marketing electronic music, so I combined the two."

They spread the word by printing up party fliers and getting their D. J. friends to e-mail party lists. Part of the last year's proceeds were donated to victims of the Sept. 11 attacks. This year, donations are being made to the United Homeless Organization. "It makes thers. And Triple 5 Soul, she said, is simply "the downtown urban thing."

The sample sale was started by two club-music promoters. Amy Snow runs a "street team" company that hands out party fliers in front of nightclubs. Her partner, Yani Ben-Moshe, moonlights in his family business, buying excess inventory from "urban underground New York labels" and exporting it to South Africa, Europe and Japan.

They spread the word by printing up party fliers and getting their D. J. friends to e-mail party lists. Part of the last year's proceeds were donated to victims of the Sept. 11 attacks. This year, donations are being made to the United Homeless Organization. "It makes thers. And Triple 5 Soul, she said, is simply "the downtown urban thing."

They spread the word by printing up party fliers and getting their D. J. friends to e-mail party lists. Part of the last year's proceeds were donated to victims of the Sept. 11 attacks. This year, donations are being made to the United Homeless Organization. "It makes the kids feeriple 5 Soul, she said, is simply "the downtown urban thing."

"I'm buying whatever catches my eye," said Ephraim Benton, 25, an actor and party promoter from Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn. After picking out a couple of argyle Ecko sweaters, marked down to $24 from $84, he gave a shout to his friends. "If you want to ges the kids feeriple 5 Soul, she said, is simply "the downtown urban thing."

"I'm buying whatever catches my eye," said Ephraim Benton, 25, an actor and party promoter from Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn. After picking out a couple of argyle Ecko sweaters, marked down to $24 from $84, he gave a shout to his friends. "If you want to get sty kids feeriple 5 Soul, she said, is simply "the downtown urban thing."

They spread the word by printing up party fliers and getting their D. J. friends to e-mail party lists. Part of the last year's proceeds were donated to victims of the Sept. 11 attacks. This year, donations are being made to the United Homeless Organization. "It maket sty kids feeriple 5 Soul, she said, is simply "the downtown urban thing."

They spread the word by printing up party fliers and getting their D. J. friends to e-mail party lists. Part of the last year's proceeds were donated to victims of the Sept. 11 attacks. This year, donations are being made to the United Homeless Organization. "It makes the kids feel good," Ms. Snow said. "And the shoppers are getting more than clothes."

Congratz on the sale. I was there last year, and the first day this year.

I noticed a lot of the stuff though was some of the same as last year, though I still managed to pick up 2 pair of Triple 5 Soul pants and a Lithium hat. Even got my square friend to buy some Lithium wear.

As I thought last year, again I think that space should be turned into a club. Only if I had some money...

peace