Clubplanet Nightlife Community

California: What's the deal?

mala

California...I just don't know. People have asked me if it is a place I would like to visit. My response is always the same: "I have no desire whatsoever to go to California". I really don't know why this is. I guess I've always thought of it as a place swarming with surfers, skateboarders, healthnuts, and people who say "dude" and "gnarly". That just doesn't appeal to me. Lately, I'm beginning to rethink these stereotypes. I mean, there must be some good things about this place. So, I'm asking all my L.A. CP counterparts:

What's so great about California?

well, the health nut thing is blown so out of proportion that i'd say it's bordering on a myth. l.a. is the us's capital of fast food, hands-down. pink's, a famous hot dog joint, has a long and winding line even at 2 a.m.

and i've only met one person who surfs in all the time i've lived here (from '95-'99, and '01-present).

but the weather is great here for skateboarding all year round, and there are places to do it everywhere.

the weather is reason enough to love and live in l.a. but what else do i love about both l.a. and the state of california?

- the friendly people

- the relaxed, "it's all good", zen kind of attitude

- the diversity

- great food (not just the fast :tongue: , although in-n-out's burgers are unparalleled)

- the commitment to the arts (at least in l.a., dunno about everywhere else)

- the beautiful coast

- it's a huge state: redwoods, mountains, deserts, beaches, nat'l parks...

- san diego zoo

- sham-fucking-u!

- disneyhoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (the happiest place on earth)

there's more, but i'll leave off here, for now :D .

Originally posted by weyes

well, the health nut thing is blown so out of proportion that i'd say it's bordering on a myth. l.a. is the us's capital of fast food, hands-down. pink's, a famous hot dog joint, has a long and winding line even at 2 a.m.

and i've only met one person who surfs in all the time i've lived here (from '95-'99, and '01-present).

but the weather is great here for skateboarding all year round, and there are places to do it everywhere.

the weather is reason enough to love and live in l.a. but what else do i love about both l.a. and the state of california?

- the friendly people

- the diversity

- great food (not just the fast :tongue: , although in-n-out's burgers are unparalleled)

- the beautiful coast

- san diego zoo

- sham-fucking-u!

don't forget we have a wild animal park, sea world, 30 minutes away from mexico-US border, great beaches (mission bay, black's beach, la jolla cove), and some of the most beautiful sights in the country.

what's amazing about california also is that you can drive 2 hours west and hit the beach....2 hours east and hit the desert...or drive north past san francisco and encounter some of the most beautiful forests in this country (sequoia national park, kalamath, humboldt, etc)

the taxes suck...it's expensive...and some people are just fake and two faced...but overall, california rules...

oddly enough, before i moved out here, i also had no desire whatsoever to come move to california...but now that i've been here almost 3 years...i miss it a day after i leave it....

and i will be leaving california for a few years this summer after i graduate...:(

governor davis is an idiot though....i guess that's about it...oh, and how can i forget jack in the crack and carl's jr...two awesome places to go for munchies in the middle of the night ;)

- the friendly people

- the diversity

- the beautiful coast

- san diego zoo

- sham-fucking-u!

All of the above are great points for loving Cali. In short, we have diverse selection of, well, everything - for everyone! From the posh Hollywood scene to the great outdoors. All wraped in a 70~80 degree climate. How can anyone not love Cali?

And even if all that is somehow striped away from us, there's still one thing - Da LAKERS!!! Enough said. :eek:

well, if you like sports, this state has more sports teams than i can even name off the top of my head. i only like baseball, so i can only say that we've got the dodgers, angels, a's, padres, and giants - 5 teams!!! no other state beats that :D .

is l.a. the only city with two basketball teams (lakers, clippers)? someone help me out on that one, please :) .

and i don't know much about football or squat about hockey, but i'm sure there's enough of that to go around, even though l.a. no longer has a football team.

well, if you like sports, this state has more sports teams than i can even name off the top of my head. i only like baseball, so i can only say that we've got the dodgers, angels, a's, padres, and giants - 5 teams!!! no other state beats that :D .

is l.a. the only city with two basketball teams (lakers, clippers)? someone help me out on that one, please :) .

and i don't know much about football or squat about hockey, but i'm sure there's enough of that to go around, even though l.a. no longer has a football team.

I believe North Cal has 2 basketball teams as well - Warriors, and the Queens..err, I mean Kings :D

Hockey wise, we got the other Kings in LA, Sharks in SJ, and the mighty Ducks of Anaheim (damn Disney had to assert their family value spin on sports..)

There are talks of bringing a football team back to LA. But that would be in the waaay distant future though. In the mean time, we'll just have to make do with the various dining, entertainment, and outdoor pleasures CA has to offer..muhahaha :laugh: