Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What's Your Favorite Holiday Song?

lalate

as my under-avatar-profile indicates, i hate christmas music. and, working in retail, i've had to listen to it every day since mid october. i don't care who remakes it or remixes it; it's the same old songs.

christmas music bothers me because it tells me that i'm supposed to be happy - no, rather that i have to be happy, and if i'm not, then something's wrong with me. this makes me unhappy, and sends me in a horrible spiral. a downward trend that now lasts 2 and a half months, and so much just due to some silly music?

"have yourself a merry little christmas" is one of the most depressing songs out there, but hardly anyone knows it because they don't know the context in which it was originally sung. it's from the film meet me in st. louis, and judy garland sings it to her little sibling (who's mute, if i recall correctly) after the little one's knocked down a snowman upon learning that the entire family must leave everything they know and love because the father is being forced to move by his company. the one act ever that shows emotion from the little kid is of how christmas, which used to be so magical to her (him?), was all just a facade.

anyway, the one song that really expresses how i feel about christmas is joni mitchell's "river." i was just listening to it on the way home, actually, crying as i made the last turn into my driveway.

Yeah Mariah's song is great .... and Aguilera has an uptempo song (almost dance beet) of a Christmas song they are playing a lot --- that is definitely cool too!

Also, that Lean Womack (is that how you spell her name?) that is getting a lot of airplay with the full orchestra --- that must be going multiplatninum this christmas (isnt it a new song?).