Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Observations of the UK...

Some of this I already knew from living here years ago, but being here again really reminded me. Plus, since I was so young when I was over here before, I learned a few new things...

Jack Daniels ships the really shitty whisky over here. So much better in the states....

McDonalds ships all the good chicken McNuggets over to the UK. Every single one is juicy white meat, and there's never any cartiledge. Plus, you can order potato wedges instead of fries, and there are chocolate orange McFlurries....

Over here, on average, black girls are about 5 times hotter than the white girls. Seriously, they put African-Americans to shame....

Garage heads don't like Americans. Not knowing that I DJ the stuff over here, everyone automatically assumed I was some raider trying to invade the scene...

Pubs close way too fricking early. I've learned to keep a bottle of vodka at home so I can refuel before hitting the club....

Get to the club at the time it opens. There's no such thing as fashionably late. Get there on time, or risk not getting in at all...

Food is much better in the shitty neighborhoods than the good ones. Cheaper too....

Record stores are really annoying here. There's really no place where the records are out and you can jut listen to them. Either all of the records are behind the counter and you just point to the records you want to hear and hope that the clerk can point out what else is good out of the genre you're looking at (i.e. Rhythm Division, City Sounds, Big Apple), or there are empty record cases you flip through, and you have to give the clerk the cases to listen to (the record stores in Soho)...

On a similar note, there are far fewer records in the store than there are in the online catelogs. and the online catelogs aren't that big to begin with...

Always order Guinness extra cold if you have the option. UK extra cold is the equivalent to US regular...

Always order a double of a mixed drink. A double is still a little bit smaller than a drink with normal alcohol content in the US....

Anyone want to add anything or comment???

personally i love uk record shops, in general the employees actually know their shit and will help u find choons unlike record stores over here (from my experience living in boston and DC).

yes, it requires a little bit more interaction but if u go to the right places and get to know the guys behind the counter, they'll get to know what u like and can save u the time of listening to a lot of records that u won't like.

as far as inventory goes, the shops over there don't really try to keep backstock. it's the newest freshest records that matter over there, u can't get away with playing the sick tune from 6 months or a year ago the way u can here. if u want records that aren't up to the minute, go to some of the second hand shops in soho and notting hill.

extra cold :pint: is the way to go, i loved it when all my favorite pubs introduced it!

getting twisted at clubs/pubs/bars can be expensive, almost everywhere liquor is measured (25ml) so giving good tips might not help out much.

if you're used to american portions you're in for a surprise. the extra large sizes at fast food places are roughly medium size over here.

you can actually listen to any of the records at Virgin that you want to. the tottemham court road store has a huge section dedicated to vinyl. i think HMV has a similar policy.

the Guinness is much stronger in the UK....well most alcohol is stronger for that matter. In bars and clubs its cheaper too, and they give you bigger sizes. If you order beer, most places will give you a bottle....some clubs may even give you a pint glass.

Clubs have better lineups and lower admission prices.

Americans don't like garage. :tongue: j/k

As annoying as we think KTU is, BBC Radio 1 is much worse.

British TV blows.

They dont have chains of "family restaurants" like Applebees. They have chains of pubs instead.

Ice Cream bars, not Coffee Bars, are the rage. Brits go nuts for anything Ben n' Jerry's or Hagen Daz (sp).

If you jaywalk and someone hits you, they can sue you for the damage you did to his/her car.

British Police dont carry guns.

The London Underground (equivelent of the MTA) has higher fares, higher annual revenue than the MTA....but loses more money despite not operating 24 hours a day.

Only Americans tip bartenders.

Few more....

Hip Hop has really blown up over here. Unfortunately, it's the tracks that were popular 2 years ago in the US....

The ONLY people who go out on Christmas eve are Indian....

Licensed cabs are about 10 times better than the ones in NYC. However, Gypsy cabs (mini cabs, whatever) are about 100 times worse than those in NYC (I went with one, he got desperately lost, and despite the fact that I've only spent 4 days in London, I had to give him directions, primarily based on road signs...)

1/3 of people don't know to put on deoderant before they go to the club...

As for the record shop thing, it really depends. Some are good (i.e. Rhythm Division gave me some free promos since I liked the breaky stuff; one place in Soho, whose name I can't remember[mental note to fill in later]went to great lengths to make sure I heard every record in there that was up my alley), but on the other hand, some really suck ass (i.e. the kid behind the counter at Black Market was too busy dancing to what he was spinning to hand me records, then wasn't helpful at all in pointing out anything; the worker at City Sounds, which almost exclusively sells garage, didn't know jack about garage). Either way, I like being able to flip through backstock to see if there's anything I missed from a month or two ago. Also, despite the fact that I hit at least 10 shops, I was only able to find 1 of the 3 records I really wanted to get while in the UK. Hopefully the other two will show up at Eightball or BBS when I'm back in the city.

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

you can actually listen to any of the records at Virgin that you want to. the tottemham court road store has a huge section dedicated to vinyl. i think HMV has a similar policy.

All HMVs have listening stations.....only some of the Towers and Virgins do. Still, out of the records I bought, about 1/3 of them came from commercial chains. They actually get decent records there, and the 'underground' shops refuse to carry the tracks they have in the megastores. Thus, to get anything on a lot of perfectly good labels (for breaks, I noticed Badaboom, TCR, and Supercharged, for house I noticed Junior), you have to go to HMV rather than some local record store.

i dunno if they've changed their policies since i left the uk but when i was there u could buy records at HMV or virgin and return the ones u didn't want within 30 days. virgin at tottenham court road and the HMV inbetween tottenham and oxford circus usually had the best selections and prices but no decks to listen on.

solution :idea: : buy anything that looks good, listen in the comfort of your own home, return the ones u don't like!

can't beat that....especially at 3 or 4 quid each.

Originally posted by brickhouse

Well I couldn't find em....hell, I could barely find the places that were open!

Where are you staying? Maybe it's a northern thing then cos where i live every single bar and club was open and everywhere was absolutly heaving with people.I finished work at 12pm and went staright into town and it was packed already,i came home about 8pm,but god knows what it was like later that night.

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

the Guinness is much stronger in the UK....well most alcohol is stronger for that matter. In bars and clubs its cheaper too, and they give you bigger sizes. If you order beer, most places will give you a bottle....some clubs may even give you a pint glass.

Clubs have better lineups and lower admission prices.

Americans don't like garage. :tongue: j/k

As annoying as we think KTU is, BBC Radio 1 is much worse.

British TV blows.

They dont have chains of "family restaurants" like Applebees. They have chains of pubs instead.

Ice Cream bars, not Coffee Bars, are the rage. Brits go nuts for anything Ben n' Jerry's or Hagen Daz (sp).

If you jaywalk and someone hits you, they can sue you for the damage you did to his/her car.

British Police dont carry guns.

The London Underground (equivelent of the MTA) has higher fares, higher annual revenue than the MTA....but loses more money despite not operating 24 hours a day.

Only Americans tip bartenders.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

and clubbing in london is much better than in nyc; i went to a club on a mon @ 7am and it was packed. i doubt this would have happened even in nyc, mainly due to the protestant work ethics.

:rolleyes:

On the whole the Brits have better taste in dance music compared to New Yorkers who think the world revolves around house and the NY djs.

cosignin on the terrible girls.

The age range at parties is much bigger over there.

And a much more relaxed, anything goes attitude. (which has its ups and downs)

• 2 years later...
the Guinness is much stronger in the UK....well most alcohol is stronger for that matter.

If you get the chance, try Adnams Broadside - it's "lighter" than Guinness (heh heh), and more drinkable but you'll notice the difference when you stand up and walk outside :)