Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Club Maze, Does it stand up to the hype?

fat0ny

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by laliux

the music was really good and the crowd went nuts when Tong dropped a mix of Plantet Funk's "Chase the Sun" with Layo and Bushwacka's "Love Story".

If I'm not mistaken, Ivano plays this mix at Space in the patio. One of my ALL TIME favorite songs......would love to have it on CD.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a great thread ... :eek: & although i agree with alot of points that james has made i actually agree with alot of the points andrew has made as well ( dont ask:confused: ) but in my opinion its just a tough time right now for clubbing in general .. no matter what genre of music , what dj or whatever !! honestly i think the vibe will come back but not for atleast a few months .. economy is having a huge part in how slow & crappy the scene is today in my opinion ..but im no expert .. im just someone who goes where i like & where i feel the music... i dont care if its packed or not . but for a club to stay open i know it needs the crowd ..which in my opinion will return very soon.. just not yet .. & not to just one particular club.. just my opinion

Originally posted by andrewthomas

no offense but if u wanna know that much ude have to hire me to do work for u cause ide never go as far as giving my plans and ideas away for free

im sure u understand the business aspect of it.

i wouldnt even go as far and mentioning a dj cause ill open my mouth and my djs would be booked by another club reading this

LOL

you're a funny dood!

Originally posted by diegonyc

bottom line for the failures in the recent months up here in nyc is the holidays and more importantly, the economy. im sure it's the same down there.

Exactly! The reasons for "failures" are very obvious and instead of trying to block them out and pretend they do not exist, the clubbing industry needs to embrace them and make them work somehow to their advantage.

Economy, for instance...of course clubber's tendencies have changed...there's just not as much money on the street right now as there was some years ago, people are shy now to pay a $20 cover and $10 for a Johnny Walker on the rocks...underground parties are presenting an alternative to clubbers with less income and equal or more motivation to party and dance...not all party-goers are created equally and that's another factor that should be considered...I mean, sometimes...the flyer, the big name dj and the great infrastructure are not going to cut it just like that...people are not as naive as they where some years ago...if comparisson is the name of the game. It would be a waste of time to keep comparing today's scene to that of the nineties...it's just not there anymore, it literally does not exist.

We are dealing with a new world, with different needs altogether...to think the actual situation of the world escapes clubbing and music is to deny an opportunity to today's clubbing to gain an identity of its own...it's good to be a romantic and reminize about the past, but if that is your motto and you let yourself get caught on always looking back to biggger better times...it will not only get somewhat frustrating but it will also keep you from being able to serve your scene in a healthy objective way.

2003 presents itself with great opportunities of growth and several different choices of direction, unity in the scene can be very helpful but I like competition better...fierce competition is even better...let the games begin.

peace

Funk :cool:

some very valid points here. the economy is the overwhelming factor, which is affecting the industry as a whole right now. any club worth it’s weight, knows you must rely on your in house talent. Andrew used SF as a reference, and he is right JP holds court at SF every week and draws the people in, and creates a vibe, which is out of control. conversely Oscar G does the same thing at Space. while a minority may not like the crowd, vibe, music, etc at Space. it’s is the majority which drives Space.. the success of club weighs heavily on the shoulders of the in house talent. part of the problem with clubs like Level, crobar, etc is the lack of strong in house talent. with reference to Maze, I believe they have tapped the right DJ in selecting Markus Schulz as their in house talent. I have heard his productions, and he does have the talent. playing to a miami audience is not an easy task, because the music is not the primary focus; it really serves much like a backdrop, to all the other stuff going on. bearing that in mind, a Miami DJ has to understand his audience, educate them and entertain them at the same time. that is a rather daunting task. the reason I’m big fan of Oscar G is because he has been able to achieve this; while not compromising his style. Oscar G built House Sessions from the ground up. while people may criticize Space, they are hard pressed to put forth another club in south Florida with the ability to generate over 2,000 people a week using there in house talent, and a pretty solid promotion plan that goes beyond a big ad in the local papers.. the clubs that survive through this ruff period; will be the ones intuitive enough to "truly" understand the clubbers, and their needs.it is the majority that drives the scene, not the minority. it's really that simple..

p.s. great topic fat0ny aka Tony.. :aright:

i used jp as a referance opposed to oscar cause although i respect oscar and think hes great come9 in the morning space id kinda dead empty.

mean while it can be like almost 8pm on a sunday evening and sound factory will STILL be jam packed.

oh and another thing SF dont have a liquor license do sell drinks after 3 am .

mostly the biggest reason space does the amount of people it does is cause the 24 hour liquor license.

What an awesome venue............ Vipnerd and I arrived around 4am last night to catch PR.........that was my first time there since the ol' Salvation days...... I totally dig the lay-out, the lights and the sound! The staff are by far, some of thee nicest on the beach!! *** Carla, thanks again for the Rize cards... I really enjoyed talking with you and I think you have what it takes to make this place work. Keep up the hard work!! ***

VIP - thanks for all the drinks! I had a blast with ya and look forward to hanging out again soon....When it comes to music and such, I think we are on the same page.......keep workin' that vibe!:eek: :eek: :D :D

My opinion on Maze and the hype about it.... well, I like the place alot and I can see myself hanging out there on a regular basis. I think they are simply trying to find themselves on Friday. They are trying to figure out what we (the clubber) want. So they are testing the waters - trying different things/approaches.

I think Sobeton said it best with his reference to Oscar G and house-sessions....he started that from scratch and never changed it...and look at it now.... always a good thing when OG is at Space on saturdays......... MAZE needs to find that....if they stick with Marcus - great... but let Marcus spin his style....let him work the crowd and do his thing.... if it doesn't work out - there are plenty of dj's out there that would come in and give it a try (and probably for a low fee too)..........:D

I just hope fridays pick up and we can generate enough buzz to get people to come and check it out. I mean, you can't go wrong with free entry for chicks until 2am and cheap drinks! I hope they continue to bring the PMS parties in (since I missed it friday) - and I hope they mix up another room (bring in some Chicago Hard House please).......that'd be cool.

Great topic fat0ny - I've enjoyed reading everyone's response/opinon....

I need more sleep.............(it's all your fault Vip - keeping me out till' 7am :laugh: )

Lola;)

i like it.

had fun. left a half full beer sitting next to the record bin, and the bass thumped it off, depositing its contents all over my records... i shoulda known better! kinda tuff to play to an empty room, so i apologize to the dozen of you that were there for any lack of musical coherence :D

PMS seemed to have nice party in the upstairs and had i not been tied to the decks i'd have been dancing in there all night. its been a rough start but i cant see this place failing. its about as good as it gets... i think there room for everybody in the miami scene, they just have to find that groove...

peace and love

noel

Originally posted by noelsanger

i like it.

had fun. left a half full beer sitting next to the record bin, and the bass thumped it off, depositing its contents all over my records... i shoulda known better! kinda tuff to play to an empty room, so i apologize to the dozen of you that were there for any lack of musical coherence :D

PMS seemed to have nice party in the upstairs and had i not been tied to the decks i'd have been dancing in there all night. its been a rough start but i cant see this place failing. its about as good as it gets... i think there room for everybody in the miami scene, they just have to find that groove...

peace and love

noel

Hey Noel, even though I spent most of my time at the PMS party upstairs, a bunch of my friends and I where checking you go from the balcony for a while and you had it going on man!

:aright:

peace

ps. sorry to hear about your beer-bass-wet records incident...that sucks! What did you do?

i used jp as a referance opposed to oscar cause although i respect oscar and think hes great come9 in the morning space id kinda dead empty.

mean while it can be like almost 8pm on a sunday evening and sound factory will STILL be jam packed.

oh and another thing SF dont have a liquor license do sell drinks after 3 am .

mostly the biggest reason space does the amount of people it does is cause the 24 hour liquor license.

Oscar finishes up in the blue room around 9:00am; most times I’ve been there. SF doesn’t have a patio either, nor is Space open past 2:00pm. so that comparison is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. 24 hour liquor doesn’t much matter.. do you really think Space is selling any high quantity of liquor at 5:00am in the morning, as opposed to there peak time ??. stop your hating beotch ! :D:tongue:

BUT THE PATIO IS HORRIBLE SO WHY EVEN MENTION IT

its like a gathering of mangled uglies

plus ivano sux its like im listinging to a 1998 cd every time i hear him cause its the same tracks

and ya i see alottaaa people with drinks in thier hand...

or a bottle on thier table..

thats another thing sound factory dont have ANY VIP areas..

so what would the show offs have to do if space didnt have VIP

plus ivano sux its like im listinging to a 1998 cd every time i hear him cause its the same tracks

sound factory is a crack den.

Originally posted by funketeer

Hey Noel, even though I spent most of my time at the PMS party upstairs, a bunch of my friends and I where checking you go from the balcony for a while and you had it going on man!

:aright:

peace

ps. sorry to hear about your beer-bass-wet records incident...that sucks! What did you do?

:laugh: what i did was keep forgetting about it and didnt open myy record box up til about an hour ago... got em spread out across the office floor right now...

and thanks for the kind words! glad you liked what you heard...

peace

noel

Originally posted by noelsanger

:laugh: what i did was keep forgetting about it and didnt open myy record box up til about an hour ago... got em spread out across the office floor right now...

and thanks for the kind words! glad you liked what you heard...

peace

noel

Cool man, I hope your records are now dry and ready to hit the decks. Let me know when and where you'll be spinning next time, I'd like to hear a full set.

peace

I think things will change after NYE for Maze. It doesent matter who you are. NYE allways does good. you can have Dj One-nut in there and you'll have a crowd going. As far as hype goes: Maze has the goods to back it up. When you get all these people out there waiting in the new year and they have an excelent time, its most likely that they will pass this on to other people and thier crowd will start to build from there.

Every club in miami has its own crowd... mostly based on what image the club has for itself. Promotion is one thing but its the people that go to your establishment that really make up your crowd. Take lumonics for example. In my oppinion it was hard to take that place seriously for its infamous under age crowd. No one wants to go hang out with a bunch of candy kids right? Now im not saying it was a bad place or a bad crowd. But thats the image that place had to me atleast. Eventually the public gets a hold of that information and then that becomes your crowd. Space gets shit because of its overwhelming commercial crowd. So down the road that becomes the face for your club. Maze dosent really have its crowd yet. Its mostly known by people like ourselves that have a clue about the industry. Not many people out there know what a Funktion One is or care for that matter. They just want a good time. Im curious to see what kinda crowd Maze builds for themselves.

Ps. for the kudos on the post. its nice to see you guys share ideas.

fatony

why mention the patio ? because it is relevant to Spaces after-hours success. obviously when Oscar gets done in the blue room; something must be keeping people at Space beyond 9:00am. while the minority may not like how people look, the music, etc. it’s the majority that keeps that the party going. Space is not SF, and SF is not Space. I don’t see any signs of that changing anytime soon; so comparing them serves no real purpose. I like SF and Space, because they ARE completely different; which is what makes it that much more interesting. ;)

u like space so much why are u never there and why dont u ever stay past 6am??

i never once saw u on the patio so i dont even think u know what its like out there

oscar plays till well after 9am and honestly if i even make it that far into the night i leave once the blue room is done..

whats there 200 people at the most of the patio in the morning..

ill admit this much that when i first moved here i did like the patio but it never progresses..

same stale music same stale people.

i mean i wouldnt mind regulars if they spoke english..(not starting that racist crap i know someones gonna comment about)

i like roland on the patio hes good new music every week keeps me wanting to come back..

but Ivano BeCheesey i can live without.

whats keeping space right now honestly is that its the ONLY afterhours going..

and once they move to thier new place its gonna go even further downhill if they dont make changes..

ill save myself a post and tell you why..

space is having trouble packin the spot they have now.

and if they move into a bigger spot well then if the same amount of people go there in a bigger club will be less packed.

so then people are gonna slowly stop going cause its gonna seem dead.

when really its the same amount of people..

u might see me as bashing but im all supportive..

doubt there is anyone of you guys on this board that goes out as much as me..

im just tellin you how it is from someone who ISNT BLINDED

Originally posted by dubservah

I think that having a 'mini-party' in the upstairs room is a great idea for Maze. Keeping it a little off the commercial side will eventually bring a strong following if the parties are promoted properly. For quite some time now, people that used to go out 3 or 4 times a week stay home or chill at a friend's because there's better music- or at least a more consistent vibe. Good weekly parties that create a buzz and a community are made through consistency. Being able to know that on any given week, a clubber can drop by said party and be guaranteed good tunes in their slightly-specific genre is KEY. Residents that constantly change up their records [keeping a few cheaters] but keep the same vibe- and then bringing in a suprise guest/headliner once a month...

Maze should capitalize on all the things it has going for them. Making people want to be there because of : the GREAT system, keen aesthetics, and great vibe... through flyers and the internet [speaking of which- fix the damn website to something slightly less pathetic, emphasizing the notion of upper echelon club that they represent...] they should interest clubbers by making it a place to be seen, a place to people watch, to shake their ass, get a great martini, and see better talent... to make people want to actually get in their cars and DRIVE there. And to help others see where their efforts are lacking- which is good for the scene's diversity.

wow i musta missed this somewhere along the lines but ur damn right..

good girl

u like space so much why are u never there and why dont u ever stay past 6am??

i never once saw u on the patio so i dont even think u know what its like out there

oscar plays till well after 9am and honestly if i even make it that far into the night i leave once the blue room is done..

whats there 200 people at the most of the patio in the morning..

ill admit this much that when i first moved here i did like the patio but it never progresses..

same stale music same stale people.

i mean i wouldnt mind regulars if they spoke english..(not starting that racist crap i know someones gonna comment about)

i like roland on the patio hes good new music every week keeps me wanting to come back..

but Ivano BeCheesey i can live without.

whats keeping space right now honestly is that its the ONLY afterhours going..

and once they move to thier new place its gonna go even further downhill if they dont make changes..

ill save myself a post and tell you why..

space is having trouble packin the spot they have now.

and if they move into a bigger spot well then if the same amount of people go there in a bigger club will be less packed.

so then people are gonna slowly stop going cause its gonna seem dead.

when really its the same amount of people..

u might see me as bashing but im all supportive..

doubt there is anyone of you guys on this board that goes out as much as me..

im just tellin you how it is from someone who ISNT BLINDED

LOL I’m at Space almost every weekend ask Biz, Koky, and my aching feet. .. :laugh: the earliest I have ever left was a few weeks ago at 7:00am during the Deep Dish set. , but the frequency or length of my visits to Space; which is far more then yours.:tongue: is really not what we are discussing here, so bringing it up hardly makes sense.

let’s not kid ourselves Andrew, you don’t like Space you never have, and even if Space catered your every whim; you would still would find a reason to fault them in some respect. ;)

I have seen many after –hour’s clubs (Fuel, Living Room, etc) pose a challenge to space for after-hours; yet they are gone and space still dominates south florida in both regular and after- hours clubbing.

Until to someone else comes along with the intuitiveness, and money Space has; I don’t see Space "really" suffering anytime soon.

that my friend is not blindness; it’s history and the reality of doing business in south florida. I am paused to see how you will change that; it should prove to be rather interesting. :D

ya every weekend that they have a guest dj..

i go there on regular nights mostly and ialways go look to see if ur in ur speaker or something and ur never there. lol

fuel and living room is just 1 hole in the wall place cant really compare to anything.

only time i ever seen those places really packed was when JP was spinning there..:D

am i not allowed to mock space for every lil thing i find wrong?

after all that jerkoff bouncer cost me a few fuckin grand with that stupid thing that happend that time

i think they should fuckin repay me..

enough about fukin space

when u miami fools gonna get ur acts together....

its all up to u guys to get maze packed.

now start spreading the news