Clubplanet Nightlife Community

tonight? tomorrow?

revaluation

Originally posted by mysteriousss

Klassnaya kartinka v signature LMAO.. I think I remember you also from way back when...... Commie power :cool:

Uh-oh more russkies on the board...Run for your lives, peoples!

So, who's this " a hat' guy? Cookie, do some research for once... :)

Originally posted by nautilus60

So, who's this " a hat' guy? Cookie, do some research for once... :)

OK :D From www.undagroundarchives.com:

5-Questions with… Taha Elroubi

One look around a packed underground club and it's clear that our community is made up of many different types of people, from many different places. For this version of 5-Q's we sought out one of the more foreign of them all in D.C.-based label owner, Producer/DJ/promoter, Taha Elroubi. His musical journey flows from his childhood in North Africa, to English radio show exposure during his teens, to his current Southern roots buried deep in the nation's capital. To be clear about how sincere and profound his musical esthetic really is, he's even been adopted by traditionally tribal NY labels Ibadan and Wave, where his tracks have been signed and included in these celebrated catalogs. Here he dishes about his influences and record shopping in Chocolate City…

1. You're an old guy and you're foreign… tell us where you're from and how you got into dance music?

I, Taha Elroubi (one half of T.Kolai /A&R and also a partner in Vinylicious Recordings) was born in Germany in 1965 to a Sudanese father and Persian mother. I was introduced to the world of soul, funk, reggae and African sounds from a record collection that my father bought for me at the age of 13, while living in Sudan. Through that collection I was introduced to the likes of Weather Report, Grover Washington Jr., The Temptations, The Jackson Five, Bob Marley, Shirley Bassey, Stevie Wonder, Brass Construction, Earth, Wind & Fire and the list continues…

By age 15, I moved to Cairo to attend the American School in Ma'adi and would then travel to London every summer where I spent a couple of months visiting with my family. During this period I started to discover the underground sound by listening to the various pirate stations and Capitol Radio. I then started hitting record stores such as Blue Bird Records, Record Shack in Soho, Unity Records, Flying Records in Kensington, Catch A Groove - now it's Chillifunk's home base, Black Market and Vinyl Solution @ Portabello Market. In 1985 I moved to the United States to attend the American University in Washington D.C. It was then I decided to get a couple of SL1200's and try to express my vibe. My first true mentor was and still is, DJ Mandrill. I would often go and listen to him or Sam 'The Man" Burns and on occasional weekends I would travel to NYC to hear Timmy @ The Shelter or just listen to [Tony] Humphries on the radio.

2. How long have you had Vinylicious Recordings and what are some of your biggest songs?

TE: We have had Vinylicious Recordings for three years now. I run the label, but I have other partners - Karim M. Karim S., Khaled & Nicolas. So far we have released twelve singles and two CD compilations. In my mind they are all good songs because our policy is to put out what we feel is a great record… no release schedules or any of that. It is better not to put out anything at all for a while, than to release records just for the sake of being out there. I strongly urge everyone who is reading this to go and look up any of our Vinylicious Records and if you can't find them, hit me with an email: taha@vinylicious.com.

3. You run one of the best rooms in D.C. at Andalú , how long has that been going and what's been your formula for success?

TE: Andalú has been running strong for three years now. It's a beautiful spot that holds up to 200 people and the secret to our success is the following: 1. We are always courteous to our guests; 2. We make sure the music is always dope - so we are very selective on who we invite to play at the club; 3. We always make sure that the club is clean and the service is up to a high standard. Last but not least, the sound system has to be TIGHT, otherwise there will be no VIBE...

4. Fresh from your second 'week-long' WMC Hotel Astor Series with Yellow Productions, tell us how you guys hooked up to produce the event originally? Also, why did you create the after-hours at Bambú and program the DJs that you did?

TE: We initially hooked up with Yellow Productions through Pierre from Deep Touch records in Miami. He approached my partner Karim (owner of Hotel Astor in South Beach) about doing a poolside party together with Yellow and Vinylicious. After a couple of meetings, we came up with the concept and proceeded. The second time around, Deep Touch opted to do it's own thing especially since the Vinylicious & Yellow vibe was more fitting with each other. We then decided to do a special party for our friends and sought to book some of the best underground DJs to play for all of 'us' - the headz. The party at Bambú was designed to be a non-industry environment where we can all chill and listen to some of our friends play some deep, educational sets. Some of these DJ's were MKL, Jemal C, Onsunlade, Dennis Perez, Stevie G, Alex from Tokyo & DJ Yellow.

5. Recently the retail pioneer Wresch Dawidjan sold his legendary retail store 12" Dance. How do you feel about that situation (the new owners, outlook and historical perspective) and dance music shopping in D.C. overall now that Yoshi Toshi owners Deep Dish, are also Grammy ® winners?

TE: I miss 12" Dance because it was the place where I bought some of my first underground classics and also the place where I met so many good people. Fortunately the tradition continues thanks to James Graham, Chris and Niv who are now the owners of DJ HUT (12' Dance previously). They are doing an excellent job because the store covers so many music genres and all the good stuff too because the three owners are well versed in the music.

Apart from having DJ HUT we also have Yoshi Toshi, Deep Dish's record store which provides us with good music, [and though] the style leans more toward progressive, deep tech house and drum & bass, you will still find some good house but the over all vibe is strong on imports. The last addition to D.C's record stores is Rhythm & Culture, which is owned by Thaneeya Pakdee (Aou) and Farid Ali. The store is very clean, has a cutting edge design, excellent listening posts and the music selection is very limited - but FIRST CLASS. It is the kind of store where you go in, pick out ten records to listen to and you will probably walk out with at least eight of them. My kind of place because I don't want to waste my time listening to 30 records and buying three.