Clubplanet Nightlife Community

GRAMMY NEWS: DANCE and the Nominees are…..

New York, NY – January 7, 2003- Grammy nominations announced today at Madison Square Garden

At a press conference announcing nominees for the 45th GRAMMY Awards held today at Madison Square Garden in New York City, the Recording Academy tapped artists spanning a wide range of musical styles, encompassing industry veterans and newcomers. The nominee list includes a sizeable group of artists with multiple nods, as well as nominations in two new awards categories. The 45th GRAMMY Awards will be held on Feb. 23 at the Garden, and will be broadcast on CBS from 8-11:30 (ET/PT).

On hand to announce the nominations was an A-list of musicians, including Ashanti, Kenny Chesney, Jimmy Jam, Cyndi Lauper, Avril Lavigne, John Mayer, Justin Timberlake, and Nelly.

"This year's nominations reflect the diversity and eclecticism that make music our universal language," said Neil Portnow, President of the Recording Academy. "It's gratifying to see established artists share nods with up-and-comers across the board — all of whom represent some of the most remarkable music makers out there today."

Cyndi Lauper & New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg

In the Album Of The Year category, nominations ranged from the rap of Eminem and Nelly, to the country sounds of the Dixie Chicks, the rock and roll style of Bruce Springsteen, and the pop/jazz vocals of Norah Jones.

Female artists led the way in the Best New Artist category, with Ashanti, Michelle Branch, Norah Jones, and Avril Lavigne recognized, along with John Mayer. The scope of nominations also reflects the surge of female artists who appeared on the scene last year. Many newcomers earned five nominations each, launching them into a league with seasoned GRAMMY veterans.

Newcomer Ashanti stormed the R&B scene, earning nods for Best New Artist, Best Female R&B Vocal Performance ("Foolish"), Best Contemporary R&B Album (Ashanti), and two separate nominations in the Best Rap/Sung Collaboration category ("What's Luv?" with Fat Joe and "Always On Time" with Ja Rule). Norah Jones' sultry blend of jazz and traditional pop earned her five nominations, including Best New Artist, Record Of The Year and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance ("Don't Know Why"), and Album Of The Year and Best Pop Vocal Album (Come Away With Me). Avril Lavigne's nominations reflect her range as a singer/songwriter; in addition to earning a Song Of The Year nomination for writing "Complicated," she scored nominations for Best New Artist, Best Female Pop Vocal Performance ("Complicated"), Best Pop Vocal Album (Let Go), and Best Female Rock Vocal Performance ("Sk8er Boi").

Veterans include eight-time GRAMMY winner Sheryl Crow, who again showed her eclectic talent by garnering nominations for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance ("Soak Up The Sun"), Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals ("It's So Easy" with Don Henley), Best Female Rock Vocal Performance ("Steve McQueen"), Best Rock Album (C'mon C'mon), and Best Country Collaboration With Vocals ("Flesh And Blood" with Mary Chapin Carpenter and Emmylou Harris).

Five-time GRAMMY winner Eminem nabbed nominations for Record Of The Year, Best Male Rap Solo Performance and Best Short Form Music Video ("Without Me"), as well as Album Of The Year and Best Rap Album (The Eminem Show). Nelly earned five nominations including Album Of The Year and Best Rap Album (Nellyville), Record Of The Year and Best Rap/Sung Collaboration ("Dilemma" featuring Kelly Rowland), as well as Best Male Rap Solo Vocal Performance ("Hot In Herre").

Singer/songwriter Raphael Saadiq (formerly a member of Tony! Toni! Toné!) also earned five nods for the 45th show, including two separate songwriting nominations in the Best R&B Song category ("Be Here" featuring D'Angelo, and "Love Of My Life [An Ode To Hip Hop]" featuring Common) — the latter song also earning Saadiq a songwriting nom for Best Song Written For A Motion Picture, Television, Or Other Visual Media — as well as Best Urban/Alternative Performance ("Be Here") and Best R&B Album (Instant Vintage).

Finally, seven-time GRAMMY winner Bruce Springsteen returned to touring with the E Street Band last year, and captured five nominations including Album Of The Year and Best Rock Album (The Rising), two songwriting nods for Song Of The Year and Best Rock Song ("The Rising"), and Best Male Rock Vocal Performance ("The Rising").

Several artists received four nominations apiece: the Dixie Chicks (including Album Of The Year and Best Country Album), Alan Jackson (including Song Of The Year and Best Country Album), Chad Kroeger of Nickelback (including one nomination with Nickelback for Record Of The Year and two songwriting noms for Best Rock Song and Best Song Written For A Motion Picture, Television, Or Other Visual Media), and Remy Shand (including Best R&B Song and Best R&B Album).

Artists earning three nominations include India.Arie (including Best R&B Album and Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals for a duet with Stevie Wonder), Erykah Badu (including two songwriting noms for Best R&B Song and Best Song Written For A Motion Picture, Television, Or Other Visual Media), Ian Bostridge (including two separate nominations in the Best Opera Recording category), Vanessa Carlton (including Record Of The Year in addition to a songwriting nod for Song Of The Year, and an arranging nod for Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalists), Johnny Cash (including Best Male Country Vocal Performance and Best Country Collaboration With Vocals for a duet with Fiona Apple), Elvis Costello (including Best Alternative Album and Best Rock Album), Dr. Dre (including Album Of The Year for his work on Eminem's The Eminem Show, and Producer Of The Year), Arif Mardin (including Record Of The Year and Producer Of The Year for his work with Norah Jones), and No Doubt (including Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal and Best Pop Vocal Album), among many others.

The Academy announced first-time nominees in two new categories introduced for the 45th GRAMMYs as part of its ongoing effort to broaden its reach and fully reflect the dynamic diversity of the evolving contemporary music world.

The R&B Field was redefined when the Academy added two additional categories — Best Contemporary R&B Album and Best Urban/Alternative Performance. In Best Contemporary R&B Album, the nominees are Ashanti (Ashanti), Brandy (Full Moon), Faith Evans (Faithfully), Floetry (Floetic), and Meshell Ndegeocello (Cookie: The Anthropological Mixtape). The Best Urban/Alternative Performance nominees include "Little Things" by India.Arie, "Love Of My Life (An Ode To Hip Hop)" by Erykah Badu featuring Common, "Gettin' Grown" by Cee-Lo, "Floetic" by Floetry, and "Be Here" by Raphael Saadiq featuring D'Angelo.

This year also marks a first for the dance music genre. An independent Dance Music Field was created to contain the Best Dance Recording category, which features nominated recordings including "Gotta Get Thru This" (Daniel Bedingfield), "Days Go By" (Dirty Vegas), "Superstylin'" (Groove Armada), "Love At First Sight" (Kylie Minogue), and "Hella Good" (No Doubt).

--more--

Field 2 - Dance

Category 12 - Best Dance Recording

(For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances. Vocal or Instrumental. Singles or tracks only.)

• Gotta Get Thru This

Daniel Bedingfield

Daniel Bedingfield & Al Stone, producers; John Davis, mixer

Track from: Gotta Get Thru This

[island/Def Jam]

• Days Go By

Dirty Vegas

Ben Harris, Paul Harris & Steve Smith, producers

Track from: Dirty Vegas

[Capitol Records]

• Superstylin'

Groove Armada

Groove Armada, producers; Dave Pemberton, mixer

Track from: Goodbye Country (Hello Nightclub)

[Jive Electro Records]

• Love At First Sight

Kylie Minogue

Julian Gallagher & Richard "Biff" Stannard, producers; Ash Howes, mixer

Track from: Fever

[Capitol Records]

• Hella Good

No Doubt

Nellee Hooper & No Doubt, producers; Mark "Spike" Stent, mixer

Track from: Rock Steady

[interscope Records]

Field 26 - Production

Category 89 - Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical

(A Remixer's Award. (Artists names appear in parenthesis for identification.) Singles or Tracks only.)

• He Loves Me (Illegal Mix)

Your Friends From San Francisco, remixers (Jill Scott)

Track from: Experience: Jill Scott 826+

[Hidden Beach Recordings]

• Hella Good (Roger Sanchez Remix Main)

Roger Sanchez, remixer (No Doubt)

[interscope Records]

• Lost Love (Felix Da Housecat Thee Clubhead Mix)

Felix Da Housecat, remixer (Rinôçérôse)

Track from: Music Kills Me

[V2 Records]

• What About Us (SilkMix.Com Mix)

Steve "Silk" Hurley, remixer (Brandy)

[silk Entertainment]

• Work It Out (Maurice's Nu Soul Mix)

Maurice Joshua, remixer (Beyoncé Knowles)

[Columbia Records]

# # #

Originally posted by cotoncandydream

• Hella Good

No Doubt

Nellee Hooper & No Doubt, producers; Mark "Spike" Stent, mixer

[interscope Records]

• Hella Good (Roger Sanchez Remix Main)

Roger Sanchez, remixer (No Doubt)

[interscope Records]

my choices....but Minogue will for sure take something home

i am very glad there is no one i know in those nominations. because even though i think deep dish is awesome and i am happy for their success, they have ben spinning at shitty venues since they got so big and i haven't been able to see them again.

My votes go down for Groove Armada and Felix da Housecat but I feel like this whole thing totally fails to acknowledge EDM.... wtf...

kylie minogue? pop

no doubt? whatever the hell - doesn't belong in this category

deeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrfffff.... who is in charge of this shit? can i please knock them upside the head?

Originally posted by mikelanza

grammys suck for this type of music..are there any other awards that are similar to the grammys but better for dance music?

the dance music awards at the WMC maybe... but even they are a little screwy. the public picks the nominees and the "professionals" chose who wins