Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What with the lighting at space?

nexusgroove

Well, for the smaller venues, an LJ is just fine in my opinion. Could you see them using a Hog @ Spin? Kind of overkill of you ask me. It's bloody disco lighting...running a program to a programmed beat...and the LightJockey allows for on-the-fly alterations to a program for variety.I can see something besided an LJ being used at the new Space...who knows, maybe we'll luck out and see a Hog III.

I wouldn't go as far as to say all the guys in town just run programs all night. Hell, that's what I pretty much do when I cover for my friends...but then again I'm not an LD by profession. I can make basic programs and run 'em...anything more complicated and I need the manual...Most of the guys in town can run a Hog or a Case controller...they do concerts and such when no one's looking...for smaller applications such as a club, the LJ makes sense...the only clubs that warrant large controllers have them...crobar and Level. Level definitely needs one because they do concerts, and from what I hear, theatre now, and crobar needs it due to sheer size..

You know these guys like I do, Terry, so it's hard to believe you call them button-pushers. Grant it they have 'off-nights' when that's all they do (Who wants to break their neck for a hip-hop set?), but give them the benefit of the doubt...

Originally posted by pod

Well, for the smaller venues, an LJ is just fine in my opinion. Could you see them using a Hog @ Spin? Kind of overkill of you ask me. It's bloody disco lighting...running a program to a programmed beat...and the LightJockey allows for on-the-fly alterations to a program for variety.I can see something besided an LJ being used at the new Space...who knows, maybe we'll luck out and see a Hog III.

I think before we get to far into this conversation, you need to go to the High End website, http://www.highend.com, and research what the HOG PC is and what it can do.

I started my lighting career in nightclubs. I'm not just talking shit here. Most of the time I didn't have the shit that these guys have nowadays to work with and now I'm doing show with 300+ fixtures. The point is, most of these don't take the inititive to get better or make the lighting system as interesting as the music being played. I can see where NexusGroove is right about some things. I've been in Space a few times where the lights were strobing green and blue for the entire time I was there. As a matter of fact, the MAC 250's in there do have gobos in them but you'd never know it.

But then again, maybe the person running the lighting is under the direction on OmniStage. Which is another story in itself!!

Originally posted by festivalcre8or

I think before we get to far into this conversation, you need to go to the High End website, http://www.highend.com, and research what the HOG PC is and what it can do.

<cut for brevity..>

But then again, maybe the person running the lighting is under the direction on OmniStage. Which is another story in itself!!

Hehe, drama :)

The Hog PC is quite the piece of work. I got to use an earlier version at the Nigtclub and Bar Expo 2 years ago...it was quite fantastic. I'll give you that! I'm sure the newer version is even more refined...It seems to be ignored down here though due to the overwhelming dominance of Martin. Not that Martin is bad, it's just that I'd like to see HES fixtures become prevalent down here. The LightJockey software is a free download, that adds to it's appeal too...hell, I've got it on my home PC right now. No DMX out card though :).

Lighting in the clubs down here seems to be hit or miss sometimes...my biggest complaint is the repetition. At least most Miami clubs care though. In other cities, I'm stunned by the fact that they have lighting, but don't do anything with them...

Just out of curiosity, what type of fixtures/programming would you employ in a club like Space?

Originally posted by pod

Hehe, drama :)

The Hog PC is quite the piece of work. I got to use an earlier version at the Nigtclub and Bar Expo 2 years ago...it was quite fantastic. I'll give you that! I'm sure the newer version is even more refined...It seems to be ignored down here though due to the overwhelming dominance of Martin. Not that Martin is bad, it's just that I'd like to see HES fixtures become prevalent down here. The LightJockey software is a free download, that adds to it's appeal too...hell, I've got it on my home PC right now. No DMX out card though :).

Lighting in the clubs down here seems to be hit or miss sometimes...my biggest complaint is the repetition. At least most Miami clubs care though. In other cities, I'm stunned by the fact that they have lighting, but don't do anything with them...

Just out of curiosity, what type of fixtures/programming would you employ in a club like Space?

The only reason that HOG PC is ignored by clubs down here is because club lighting operators are to lazy to learn the HOG software. Yes it is complex but at the same time it's also very easy to use. The HOG PC software blows the LightJockey away if we're talking about creative programming. Now if you just want a guy to sit in the booth and flash lights in yer face all night, on a cheap controller, then yeah LightJockey is great.

As far as telling what type of fixtures/programming would I employ, that's what I get paid to do.

PS.

Hog PC is a free download, http://www.flyingpig.com/support/hog2/downloads/

As far as telling what type of fixtures/programming would I employ, that's what I get paid to do.

PS.

Hog PC is a free download, http://www.flyingpig.com/support/hog2/downloads/

Fair enough :). I've seen what you can do though at the previous Ultras and that Beyond festival...good stuff overall!

Gonna get the HogPC now, hope it runs minus the widget...

I have no delusions of being an LD, I like to stay current since my photographic style depends so much on intelligent lighting, wouldn't you agree?

:cool:

I know Hog I learned it in about 1 week without help.... But as far as using it in a small gig or rental event, NOT WORTH IT... 4 to 10 Lights Not worth the time of programming for one day event. If it's a huge ass production with multi-leves of light, ok Hog all the way... for space... not even Level used a hog,, they have a case board with I think u used to own terry. and as far as all LD's in Miami being button Pushers, that insults me.... :)

My VOte Lightjockey for small rigs and one day events....

Hog takes to long to patch, program and setup... Yeah the effects and macros are nice, but not for small scale.. Look at Global Gathering, they had a Hog outside on the trance stage.... OverKill and the lighting show sucked, not on beat or with the music.

Peace.

Originally posted by nexusgroove

I know Hog I learned it in about 1 week without help.... But as far as using it in a small gig or rental event, NOT WORTH IT... 4 to 10 Lights Not worth the time of programming for one day event. If it's a huge ass production with multi-leves of light, ok Hog all the way... for space... not even Level used a hog,, they have a case board with I think u used to own terry. and as far as all LD's in Miami being button Pushers, that insults me.... :)

My VOte Lightjockey for small rigs and one day events....

Hog takes to long to patch, program and setup... Yeah the effects and macros are nice, but not for small scale.. Look at Global Gathering, they had a Hog outside on the trance stage.... OverKill and the lighting show sucked, not on beat or with the music.

Peace.

NOT WORTH IT???? What's that supposed to mean? LightJockey does nothing for the REAL LD'S. LightJockey is just a Florida thing because all you guys are scared to learn the HOG software. You can't learn the HOG software in one week. Hell I've been using the Hog for 3 years now and I'm still learning it. Patching a Hog is a piece of cake. See these are the things that I'm talking about. LightJockey doesn't get a PROGRAMMER ready for the world of DMX, which all REAL LD'S MUST KNOW.

Oh yeah one more thing. The HOG software has BPM for all chase modes. So where do you get this, not on beat with the music stuff? I guess I'll have to show all you rookies what real lighting is all about.

NOT WORTH IT???? What's that supposed to mean? LightJockey does nothing for the REAL LD'S. LightJockey is just a Florida thing because all you guys are scared to learn the HOG software. You can't learn the HOG software in one week. Hell I've been using the Hog for 3 years now and I'm still learning it. Patching a Hog is a piece of cake. See these are the things that I'm talking about. LightJockey doesn't get a PROGRAMMER ready for the world of DMX, which all REAL LD'S MUST KNOW.

Oh yeah one more thing. The HOG software has BPM for all chase modes. So where do you get this, not on beat with the music stuff? I guess I'll have to show all you rookies what real lighting is all about.

LOL.

Ok yes you can learn the basic of whole hog in about 3 days (NOT MASTER IT, 98% of the world hasn't mastered the net yet.), meaning... Setup, Patch, Make Cues, and run an event. I have, lets remember I owned a Hog PC ;) and I have done a few gigs with it before getting rid of it. And as far as "you guys" I like challange, never scared of electronics, I have a touch when it comes to learning.

Another thing, DMX world.... give it a few years, DMX will be out and you''ll going to need computer geeks to set up IP's and networks servers just to run the likes... and NO the music at global was OFFFFFFF bEAT, I got the video to prove it.

Peace

Been tooling around with HogPC the past few days...it's not too difficult to set up a patch and your fixtures, but damn is it a challenge to program! Plus, there's no built-in visualiser. That's one thing LightJockey has on HogPC, is that it includes a built-in visualiser so you can at least get an idea of what your "rig" is gonna look like.

BTW Terry, looks like they're going to use Highend fixtures at Space, or so LP tells Xpander.

Originally posted by pod

Been tooling around with HogPC the past few days...it's not too difficult to set up a patch and your fixtures, but damn is it a challenge to program! Plus, there's no built-in visualiser. That's one thing LightJockey has on HogPC, is that it includes a built-in visualiser so you can at least get an idea of what your "rig" is gonna look like.

BTW Terry, looks like they're going to use Highend fixtures at Space, or so LP tells Xpander.

Having a Visualiser is great but there's alot of features with HOG PC that I'd rather have.

There's so many guys wrapped up in this LightJockey thing that don't really know how to program. Flashing lights to the beat of the music isn't programming. Altering the atmosphere and creating mind-blowing effects is programming. I programmed and operated at show at some fairgrounds in Opa-Loka, for the guys that used to run Malibu a while back and people still talk about that show. I used a Status Cue console and totally rocked that show, along with several other shows. The point I'm getting at is you guys are calling Club Lighting guys Lighting Directors when every club in town has a lighting system that's inadaquate. This just goes to show what impression the Miami nightclub market has on it's patrons. What needs to happen is a club opening up in Miami that's going to give everyone who attends, a show. A show of Audio, Lighting, Video, Lasers and killer DJ's or live PA's that all work together. That's yet to be seen in South Florida. The only way to get this combination is in the big one off parties.

Originally posted by pod

I'll agree with you there...I want more visual entertainment...I'd love to see one big LED wall in the new Space.

It's funny that you mention LED wall. If LED walls are used improperly, they can take away from the entire show. ALA Main stage ULTRA4. 3 large LED walls were great but they took away from the lighting and the YAG laser that was onstage because they were to bright. There was no balance. If you look at all of the flyers that led up to ULTRA4, you saw the main stage from ULTRA3 (my lighting design). The lighting was intense. There was about 4 or 5 different shots that were on flyers for ULTRA4 and all of them showed a stage that was goin off.

This goes back to what I said earlier, DESIGN, DESIGN, DESIGN, DESIGN!!!! There are so many people in this town that underbid and give the boat away, just to do the install or the show, and don't know anything about design. But I guess as long as clubowners and promoters keep falling for the "cheap deal", we'll see the same things over and over and over.

"Plus, there's no built-in visualiser." NOT TRUE!! IT DOES, JUST NEED THE FULL WORKING VERSION OF OFF-LINE MSD... get this.... "BY MARTIN PRO". lol Even when you go to Highend.com to download the Hog Software, it comes Martin Pro's "OFF-LINE Visualiser" witch we no-named LD's call "MSD" !!!!

THIS IS FUN.... GET ONE TODAY!

CatalystPix.jpg

http://www.highend.com/products/catalyst/catalyst.html

Fuk LedBoards,, thats best for house use.. imagen ur whole livingroom wall just on big ass TV.. wow