Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Danny Tenaglia ( Azuli ) Choice Classics Full Review

This review was done by a member of another board I am a member of. I could never get this into detail on a review. I also have a copy that I had gotten early compliments of the person who did this peticular review and I must say. If you truly like classics. And I mean tracks from 70's and 80' and early 90's the you will like this CD. If you are more into the newer Tech type of tracks that you hear today it may not be for you. But personally I think the CD is genious and it has not left my CD player since I had received it 4 days ago. It gives you a sence on what was going on in clubs 20 and 30 years ago. It has a ton of energy.

Anyway here is the review... My recomendation if you like true classics. Pick up the CD on the 27th of January when it is released.

My Review of Disc 1

Hello everyone, now that the festivities are behind us and I have a little more time I wanted to take the time to write a review of Danny’s new ‘Choice’ CD coming out on 27th January.

Fortunately I have had a copy for a few weeks, they have some for sale in Blackmarket records near where I work (part of Azuli) and have been listening to it over and over and wanted to put down a few thoughts that hopefully will increase your excitement of this amazing imminent release.

It the most perfect CD for many different occasions, you can listen to it on different levels..early evening, or late at night, it would make the perfect bar CD (Bar owners take note!)…and just superb for parties too…also, I am not ashamed to admit that I did not know a lot of the tracks so thanks again DT for introducing me to some real gems that will give me real mileage.

The first track

1. Cat Stevens – Was Dog A Doughnut? Is a strange but interesting track that I first saw on the Paradise Top 100 track lists a few years ago, I was curious and bought the album it was on but it was only when I heard it out on a big system at a club in East London that I really appreciated how groundbreaking this track must have been in 1976! ..and it does still sound fresh now too!, I think the main work behind this track was done by the fusion keyboard player Chick Corea (he played on all the Miles Davis albums around 1970 when Miles moved to his electric phase) Chick Corea then went on to form one of the greatest ‘fusion’ bands, ‘Return To Forever’ in 1974 and it was all these influences that would have kept him in touch with state of the art keyboards etc, which is the basis of this track….love the dog barking too!! Have to say that the rest of the Cat Stevens album that this track came off is terrible! (but that’s only my opinion!;-) However I think that it was a bold move by Danny to open with this as it sets a really interesting and unusual vibe. Moving onto

2. Imagination – Changes (Larry Levan Mix).. What a beautiful start to this track….those handclaps! I suppose DT this was your ‘Real’ growing up time at the Paradise Garage when this came out in 1983, you would have been 21/22, and still sweet and innocent I hope!?.... what a bassline!..such a great song too the CD is really warming up now.. onto

3. Kris Coleman – Shine a track that I did not know until now, lovely strings and percussion..and it goes so well after Imagination.. another great vocal. Now onto

4. Jus friends – As One …the vibe gets a little darker..and the intensity increases slightly there’s a really juicy metal sound on the 2nd and 4th beat great vocal “Divided We Fall, Together We Conquer All – WE ARE ONE!!†there’s a great break in-between this and

5. Trilogy – Love Me Forever Or Love Me Not What a track!!..another one that was new to me (Miss David will punish me so much for not knowing this gem!)..this is where Disc 1 really heats up..such great sounds and chord changes and a beat that will have your neighbours banging on the wall!! This track has so many different sounds and cut up vocals..what filth should follow?!!…

6. Designer Loops – I Believe Again, a true classic, skips along with a dirty deep bassline “You Got To Believe!â€..and onto one of my favourites on the whole CD, one of the most touching vocals that I have heard;

7. Vicky Martin – Not Gonna Do It such amazing string sounds, the Cd really opens up now, on this Marshall Jefferson produced track from 1988?..a real gem, I actually found an original copy but prefer Danny’s edit as he has put the strings at the beginning which is not on the vinyl copy I have, THANKS DT! such a superb touch! Time to get a bit tougher again with

8. Mr Lee – I Can’t Forget originally on Trax records, great swinging bassline right down in the groove!..lovely vibraphone sounding instrument somewhere deep in the background….bouncing along nicely Ladies & Gentlemen! to

9.Nomad – Devotion I love this track!! Reminds me of my time in the Hacienda! And also remember it when DT played this at Sankey’s last Summer great crowd clapping at the beginning…such a beautiful voice and then those dark chords, this track has such a great swing to it!…and then onto one of the most amazing revelations that this CD has got to offer

10. Christian Falk – Make It Right This record is one of the most POSITIVE tracks I’ve ever heard and slipped past me only in 1999!..Everyone of my friends that have heard this CD at my house or at work have commented on this track, and its on the Choice vinyl too YIPEEEEE!!! This really is a special record….warm summer evening music..perfect!! If you have not heard this track you are in for a real DT treat!!!, and one of the main reasons that makes this ‘Choice’ so special…and just when the vocal at the end is looped and you just don’t want it to ever end in comes another revelation for me

11. Blaze – Elevation the percussion sounds like its come straight from the Mardi Gras!..and such a lovely vocal…really, really well produced with loads of live instruments, what a groove!! Then onto the final track the Paradise Garage classic

12. Two Tons Of Fun – Just Us what can be said about this amazing track..its just gotta be heard!….such a perfect way to end the first CD… what a fantastic musical experience that really flows well and spans such a wide range of music/time in this genre..Thanks again DT for 'Coming up with the Goods'..!

My Review Of CD 2 & Vinyl

Ok here goes…Disc 2 opens with

1. Cloud One – Atmosphere . Great opening track, filled with juicy vibraphones and 70’s sounding synthesizers and I think live drums too, great vocals ‘We Gonna Fly Away!†the females voices sing in conversation with those nice fat synthesizers similar to an electric violin sound..Great solo…builds and builds. Onto

2. Mission Control – Outta Limits . This track is probably the one that I will always thank DT and His ‘Choice’ the most, for introducing me to this wonderful track. This is classic Ralph Falcon, skipping drums, dark bassline, haunting chords and vocals “This Is Your Body, Can You Flow?â€..when the vocal comes in with the strings at the chorus its Musical Orgasm Time! Unfortunatly this track is not on the Choice vinyl, and the original is very hard to find, although it was on an Ibadan double pack 12†compilation called ‘Space Lab Yellow Phase 1’ (Ibadan irc041) which is where I managed to pick it up. Moving on to

3.Tony Cook – On The Floor, a dark track with great piano and slapping handclaps with an evil dark voice “In The Darkness of The Night, Behold I Spread My Wings And Start To Fly!†Followed by an evil laugh.This is a great builder towards

4. Hugh Masekela – Don’t Go Lose It Baby, there’s a great deal of tension at the beginning until the beautiful chords and guitar come in slowly building to great South African female voices “Don’t Go Lose It Baby’ really uplifting..onto ,

5. Sylvia Stryplin – Give Me Your Love very late 70’s sounding vocal track, very funky with a bassline that is fat and really swings, lots of live instruments here too..things are getting hotter! to...

6. Adeva – Independent Woman The disc really heats up now, this track has a kick drum to wake the dead!, and Adeva’s vocal cuts in surrounded by hard chords making my foot work hard as I’m sat here writing!..superb!

7.Loni Clark – Rushin’ Mood 11 Swings production, so lots of interesting sounds, dropping her vocal on the top, cutting it up and the disc keeps building “I Want Slow Down†she cries!, (no chance of that darling as long as DT’s steering this ship!) the tension has really built now and the vocal is repeated into the opening chords of:

8. Frankie Knuckles – Whistle Song , This has got to be one of the most gorgeous house records ever made, it can be played early or late in anyone’s set and it seems to work every time, I even played it a friends wedding and they loved it! I’m sure you all know this, except for the special piano solo that Danny got Peter Dauo to play at the end, which floats in when you are just not expecting it, and it REALLY WORKS!…also this is on the vinyl WITH the piano solo, so drop this version and people will ask “Wow! I never remember a piano in this!â€, and you will have something unique and very special in your box thanks to DT!

9. Alicia Meyers – I want To Thank You back to good quality R&B like the Ce Ce Peniston DT put on his ‘Back To Mine’ compliation..Great vocal very soulful..Classic ,

10.Uno Mass –Per Favor DT made this from the sounds at the beginning on the dub of Datar’s U and also got Alan "The Fishmonger" T to speak over the top which acts as a perfect appetizer for the last track

11.Jomanda – Make My Body Rock . What a great house record from 1988 “I Need A Rhythm To Put Me In The Mood!†DT has done great edits here too, what a great record to finish so uplifting and groovy. This is not on the vinyl though. The mix DT plays is the ‘Basic’ Mix and was on the label ‘Big Beat’ (BB-0004), definitely worth hunting down.

So to summarise thanks DT for once again putting a CD on my shelves that is destined to give great mileage. This is the perfect disc for parties, and BAR OWNERS take note put this on and you’ll have customers saying “The Music Is Really Great In Here!â€- GUARENTEED!

The whole disc builds, with lots of breaks and tension and there really is so much richly diverse music here.

I would also like to mention the effort that DT must have put into the sleeve notes and all the edits, especially as he put them on the vinyl to make things easier when playing out. And there’s lots of juicy information about why each track was chosen, which makes for great reading even www.DTourism.com gets a little mention/thanks!

Just to also remind you that these are the tracks that are on the vinyl;

Azuli LP AZLP19

RECORD ONE

CAT STEVENS - WAS A DOG A DOUGHNUT'

IMAGINATION - CHANGES

CHRISTIAN FALK - MAKE IT RIGHT

BLAZE - ELEVATION

RECORD TWO

TONY COOK - 'ON THE FLOOR'

HUGH MASEKELA 'DON'T GO LOSE IT BABY'

VICKY MARTIN -'NOT GONNA DO IT'

MR LEE --' I CANT FORGET'

RECORD THREE

SYLVIA STRYPLIN - ' GIVE ME YOUR LOVE'

ADEVA - INDEPENDENT WOMAN

LONI CLARK - ' RUSHIN'

FRANKIE KNUCKLES - ' THE WHISTLE SONG'

RECORD FOUR

DESIGNER LOOPS - ' I BELIEVE'

TRILOGY - ' LOVE ME FOREVER OR LOVE ME NOT

NOMAD - I WANNA GIVE YOU DEVOTION

ALICIA MEYERS - I WANNA THANK YOU

Originally posted by roha3000

OK, now you gotta share. I want that CD damnit!

LoL I figured I was gonna get this. But as an honest guy and a huge fan of DT. I cannot take money out of the mans pocket. Your just gonna have to be patient...

Besides. Good things come to those who wait...

PS. Track 6 On CD# 1 Off the hook.

From 1991 Designer Loops " I Believe "

Great track. I wish I would hear it in a club today...

Bugout if you get this message and you have the record. Please... LOL

Originally posted by elementx

Does this have the run dmc loop and over it it says "believe in me"

There was a song from the early 90's that had the song with the same vocals but it had the run dmc peter piper loop in it. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

By the way I cannot wait to get this CD, Thanks for the great review . Alot of these songs were new when I was in my late teens early 20's

vin-e

Originally posted by housedog

Does this have the run dmc loop and over it it says "believe in me"

There was a song from the early 90's that had the song with the same vocals but it had the run dmc peter piper loop in it. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

By the way I cannot wait to get this CD, Thanks for the great review . Alot of these songs were new when I was in my late teens early 20's

vin-e

To tell you the truth I do not know where it came from. I am not familiar with the Run dmc track.

Here is what DT had to write about the track in the Booklet that came with the Compilation...

Re-titled with the new US mixes in 1992, and now again in 2002 as " You Gotta Believe " by Fierce Ruling Diva " This version here was and is still my personal favorite. as it was "the first" and more deeper of all that were ever done. Man of them were outstanding from DH Charlie Casanova's mix ten years ago to Tom Stevens new rendition. If you listen closely....Hmmmm? You might rercognize the drums. All of the producers sample and this tune was most influential to songs like "Witch Doctor" ,

" Hard Times " and " X-Travaganza " This is what I consider a trend setting track.

That is what danny wrote. He writes about each track in the booklet.

Anyway the vocals go like this...

" You've got to believe in something, Why not believe in me."

Then later in the track you hear a womans voice singin

" I Believe, I believe..."

Hope that helps.

Anyway the vocals go like this...

" You've got to believe in something, Why not believe in me."

Then later in the track you hear a womans voice singin

" I Believe, I believe..."

Hope that helps.

Those are the same vocals,

"You got to believe in something, Why not believe in me"

Then the break hits with the run dmc beat from peter piper and the vocals keeps going over it "Believe "

They use to play in at raves and limelight in the early 90's. I thought the name was "U got to Believe" but there was no Womans voice on it. Oh well hopefully I will hear it again someday.

The funny thing is I had the record but gave it away. It's really funny I collected records from 86- 92 and gave them all away. I am so Fin Dumb, I would do anything for those records again.

vin-e

thanks for the help

Originally posted by housedog

Those are the same vocals,

"You got to believe in something, Why not believe in me"

Then the break hits with the run dmc beat from peter piper and the vocals keeps going over it "Believe "

They use to play in at raves and limelight in the early 90's. I thought the name was "U got to Believe" but there was no Womans voice on it. Oh well hopefully I will hear it again someday.

The funny thing is I had the record but gave it away. It's really funny I collected records from 86- 92 and gave them all away. I am so Fin Dumb, I would do anything for those records again.

vin-e

thanks for the help

Maybe Danny Added the famale vocals... Who knows. But I believe he said it was the original. Anyway no problem. And trust me. When it releases. I was not around or was not into the scene when 90% of this compilation was in clubs or released. But it is probably going to fall into one of my favorites as far as energy, and track selection. And I am not just saying that because I am a fan. His work on this compilation is second to none.

Peace...

By the way. There are a few parts of the song where...

" Believe in me " Is looped. And then in between it says "why not believe in me " And then back to " Believe in me "

Sound familiar?

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

OK. I finally heard it. I am glad I didn't have to buy it to hear it. I am a huge fan of Danny's, even when he gets real housey and busts out a lot of vocals. But this stuff I just can't handle. About a year ago at vinyl DT would throw an hour of this into his set each week and it really annoyed the hell out of people, including myself.

I don't go to Be Yourself as often anymore but I have been there 3 times in the last 2 months and he hasn't felt the need to get into the 30 year old classics as of late. Glad I haven't had to sit through this stuff lately. I have the utmost respect for the guy, and I am not knocking the CD, but this is one of few genres I can't sit through. Just be sure before you buy it that you understand how far off it is from his other compilations. When they say classic, they mean CLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSIIIIIIIIC!!!!

OK. I finally heard it. I am glad I didn't have to buy it to hear it. I am a huge fan of Danny's, even when he gets real housey and busts out a lot of vocals. But this stuff I just can't handle. About a year ago at vinyl DT would throw an hour of this into his set each week and it really annoyed the hell out of people, including myself.

I don't go to Be Yourself as often anymore but I have been there 3 times in the last 2 months and he hasn't felt the need to get into the 30 year old classics as of late. Glad I haven't had to sit through this stuff lately. I have the utmost respect for the guy, and I am not knocking the CD, but this is one of few genres I can't sit through. Just be sure before you buy it that you understand how far off it is from his other compilations. When they say classic, they mean CLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSIIIIIIIIC!!!!

On many occasions people have asked me about the compilation. And that is what I tell them. Not to expect what you hear in the clubs. And that it is very far off. But I am also very into the true classics. I am very open to many different genres of music. This is the reason I was so turned on to the CD. But you are 100% correct. If you are not a true true fan of these types of classics... Then you may not like the compilation.

Like Roha said. It is no GU Athens or GU London It is nothing like Back To Basics, and nothing like anything else he has put out. This is true true classics. From back in the early 70's...

But Roha. You cannot tell me you didn't like Track 6 on CD 1. I absolutely love that track. And it was only from 1991. And was actually newly remixed in 2002.

But Roha. You cannot tell me you didn't like Track 6 on CD 1. I absolutely love that track. And it was only from 1991. And was actually newly remixed in 2002.

Just listened to it again. You are right, its hot! That is one of those DT tracks that define his sound and set him far apart from the rest. Its a shame I couldn't find more on the album I felt that way about. Whenever I hear DT is putting out another album I get all excited. For me, this one was a letdown.

By the way, 'I Believe' would go so perfect mixed with Give Your Body Up. Doh, now I have to go rare record hunting.

Just listened to it again. You are right, its hot! That is one of those DT tracks that define his sound and set him far apart from the rest. Its a shame I couldn't find more on the album I felt that way about. Whenever I hear DT is putting out another album I get all excited. For me, this one was a letdown.

By the way, 'I Believe' would go so perfect mixed with Give Your Body Up. Doh, now I have to go rare record hunting.

Will you be attending his 4 Year Ann. Party. And/Or his Birthday party???

Majority of people on this board won't like it..........it's simply before most of us knew anything about dance music. For Danny........it means so much more........but for many of us........it's just not what we are looking for. I look forward to another B2B type compilation......or why not a "Live @ Arc" type thing......that would be a dream come true. Many other DJ's have live mixes........but why not DT?

Actually, Back to Basics was taken from live set recorded at Vinyl. There was a lot of post production work done on it, but it was in fact recorded live. I would love another one of those.

I know and I love it too.........but I feel it had too much post production work done. I mean look at Rauhofer's live @ Roxy or JP's live @ SF....that's what I mean by live......the crowd in the background, the energy and whole feel of it.....if it didn't say so we would never have known B2B was live.