Clubplanet Nightlife Community

aol help...

Originally posted by dgmodel

oh yeah??? how much???

Aol keyword: call waiting

What is AOL Call Alert?

AOL Call Alert is a simple, easy to use new service that allows you to never miss a call when you're online. The AOL Call Alert feature notifies you of incoming calls as they happen when your residential phone line is connected to the Internet with AOL.

How does it work?

AOL Call Alert uses a feature of your telephone service known as Call Forward Busy. When someone calls you when you're online with AOL, the call is directed to AOL Call Alert.

What happens when I get a call while I'm online?

A special window will pop up on your computer screen, notifying you of an incoming call. The window will show you the name, number, city, and state of the calling party (where Caller ID is available). You will be given several choices on how to handle the call:

Take A Message The caller is prompted to leave a message for you. If a message is left, you are notified with a message alert window that gives you the option to listen to the message right away. In addition, messages are sent to your Inbox, allowing you to listen to, forward and save the message.

Send a Message You can play 1 of 4 pre-recorded messages for the caller: "I'll call you back", "Please call later", "Try my cell", or "Don't know you". You will be able to set a preference for which of the above actions is activated for calls that come in if you're away from the computer or do not see the alert window in time to select an action.

Ignore Call The caller hears continuous ringing so that you can stay online in complete privacy.

What is the Sign Up process?

Simply click the "Get it now" button on this screen. 1) You will go through a short registration process. 2) To complete registration, you will call the toll-free number given from your home phone number. This step is required by your local phone company in order to confirm you are the owner of the home phone number you have requested AOL Call Alert on. 3) Your order will then be sent to your phone company so they can add a call forwarding feature to your phone line (the feature is "Call Forward Busy"). This feature will forward incoming calls that receive a busy signal while you are online, allowing AOL Call Alert to give you notice of the call on your computer screen. It can take between two and five business days for Step 3 to be completed. Note: You will receive status emails at each step of the sign up process.

What is the cost?

Enjoy AOL Call Alert service for $3.95 a month (plus any applicable taxes) in addition to your basic monthly AOL membership fee. Your local phone company may bill you a one-time setup fee and will bill you a monthly recurring fee for call forwarding. These fees vary by location and local phone company. Click here for details on fee ranges. Note: If you live in California (SBC-Pacific Bell customers only), AOL will directly bill for these charges. Charges will be $5.00 for the one-time set up fee and $1.00 for the monthly call-forwarding fee effective 9/1/02 (rates are subject to change without notice). These fees will be billed using your AOL billing information on file.

How will I be billed?

AOL will bill you for your use of the AOL Call Alert service as a Premium Service as defined in the AOL Member Agreement. It will be in addition to your AOL monthly service fee, using the billing method on file for your AOL account. Local telephone company fees will appear on your local telephone bill.

What if I have an answering machine?

AOL Call Alert complements your answering machine. While you're online, it handles the busy calls by giving you notice of the calls. While you're offline, it leaves unanswered calls to your answering machine as usual.

What if I have voicemail from my telephone company?

AOL Call Alert is not currently compatible with your telephone company voicemail. You will only be able to use AOL Call Alert if you cancel your telephone company voicemail service.

I have another Internet Call Waiting service (i.e. Pagoo, CallWave, BuzMe, Internet Call Manager). Can I still use AOL Call Alert?

If you wish to use AOL Call Alert, you'll need to cancel your other Internet Call Waiting service. Due to the phone feature required on your phone line you will not be able to use AOL Call Alert and another Internet Call Waiting service at the same time.

If I already have Call Forward Busy on my line, do I still have to pay my telephone company to provision for AOL Call Alert?

This varies depending on your telephone company. We suggest having the service removed prior to registering for AOL Call Alert.

I currently have call waiting while I am offline. Can I use AOL Call Alert?

Yes, AOL Call Alert works with call waiting. You'll need to disable call waiting when you dial into AOL.

Can I use my cell phone or work phone?

No. This service is only available on your residential line.

Can I prevent certain Screen Names from getting messages?

You can prevent Screen Names labeled Kids Only and Young Teen Screen Names on your account from receiving the actual alert notification. You can also modify who receives the message the caller deposited by selecting that only the person online receive it.

Originally posted by somebitch

get a real connection. i dont understand why anyone is dialing into aol when dsl is available basically everywhere. if i didnt have dsl, i probably wouldnt even bother with the internet. :laugh:

lol i agree... usin the internet with dialup is like off-roading with a ferrari..

because i have enough bills as it is.. i dont need one more... (out of curiousity how much is dsl nowadays???)

its like 40 -50 a month but i use verizon so i pay the most i think. im sure smaller proviers will give you a better deal. also, cable modems are under 40 a month.

Originally posted by somebitch

get a real connection. i dont understand why anyone is dialing into aol when dsl is available basically everywhere. if i didnt have dsl, i probably wouldnt even bother with the internet. :laugh:

Wanna big ol' shiny sticker? :tongue:

Btw - what are ya doing on Friday? Ragga's got something "brewing"

:pint:

Originally posted by nycmuzik2000

Its from Verizon....

www.verizononline.com

The shipping is pretty fast also....I ordered it Sunday night and I got the modem and filters today....My service will be ready by Monday as well....

yeah i have verizon too, they are great. they also have a package deal with all your phone service included & a dsl line for 60 a month...

ALSO, whatever you do, dont get the aol dsl it really blows, i had it for a few weeks and it was worse than a dial up.

cable might be faster but dsl is way more stable, mine has gone down about once for 5 minutes since i have had it... + the cable companies suck.

because i have enough bills as it is.. i dont need one more... (out of curiousity how much is dsl nowadays???)

i think i pay 35, but you dont need aol anymore(so one less bill)

and you can talk on the phone at the same time.

i agree with somebitch about not bothing if i didn't have the dsl connection

Originally posted by mikelanza

cable is so much better imo. its so much faster and it costs less. aol is just a waste now b/c of broadband connections and aim.

I agree...I switched from Verizon DSL to Roadrunner cable and it's WAY faster...only advantage DSL has over cable is the higher upload speed...and how much uploading do you REALLY do?

I also don't buy into the theory that cable slows down when more people are using it (maybe that was more prevalent in the past) . I live in a very populated area with a lot of users and my connection never slows down.

Also true that you just don't need AOL when you have an always-on connection. All you need is a web browser, an email client, and IM and you're good to go...