Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Questions from a NYC newbie

Hey guys, I just moved to the city a few weeks ago and I have some questions about a few of the different clubs. I managed to check out Vinyl and have been to Shelter a few times (I live right around the corner so its hard not too).

I appreciate anyone taking the time to answer any of the following:

1) Centro-fly

- dress code?

- Best night?

- Peak time to check it out?

- Is there decent room to dance at the peak time?

- Type of people that go?

2) Exit

- dress code?

- Best night?

3) Sound Factory

- dress code?

- Best night?

Also, are there any clubs in the city that focus around progressive music (house or trance)? And have a solid vibe as well? Both Vinyl and Shelter are heavily house oriented, and from what I have been reading, I get the impression that the 3 aforementioned places are in the same boat.

Again, thanks to anyone willing to take the time to help me out.

Ryan

I'll take on Exit since it's the one I know the best.

Exit

- dress code?

Dress code isn't too strict, but you have to be presentable. No sweats, no Timberlands, or similar shoes. Hats are a no also. Jeans are fine, as long as they're neat. Thats about it I guess.

- Best night?

Friday nights are probably the best night, IMO. If they're bringing in an International DJ, Friday night is when it'll happen. They have a nice DJ rotation going on every Friday. Guys like Richie Santana, Jason Ojedo, Draper, Tstettos, Vicious, Nero, and some more. If you're gonna go for a regular night, I'd say go when Vicious is there. He'll draw the biggest crowd and is pretty much always on his game.

If you mean time of night, I'd say get there around 1 or 2, thats when the crowd gets filled and and things start to pick up.

- Is there decent room to dance at the peak time? Yeah, the place is fucking huge, you'll be able to find room to dance all over the place.

You'll find pretty much everything, good and bad.

Originally posted by peternorth

Hey guys, I just moved to the city a few weeks ago and I have some questions about a few of the different clubs. I managed to check out Vinyl and have been to Shelter a few times (I live right around the corner so its hard not too).

I appreciate anyone taking the time to answer any of the following:

1) Centro-fly

- dress code?

- Best night?

I'll answer your first one, since I have not been to Exit and Sound Factory in over a year and am not a big fan of either club.

Centro-fly on Friday nights is the GBH party which I promote for. Focused on house music, usually along the lines of more funky, deep, straight house rather than hard progressive house, though this is NOT always, as it really depends on what DJ we are having. This Friday for example we have Chicago house DJ Derrick Carter, and the following Friday we have Pete Tong himself from the UK, so it all depends.

We also have hip-hop downstairs in the Pinky Room, and depending 80's/new wave/lounge core music in the Tapioca room.

Dress code is relaxed, unless you look like a bum you should get in.

Usually peak time is when the headlining DJ comes on, which is usually 1 AM, hence why guestlist closes before 1 AM. It is very rare that there isn't decent room to dance.

Tyoe of people that go are anywhere from yuppies, euros, raver kids, and music headz.

I've been to Plant Saturdays at Centro-fly quite a few times, and they have a very similiar vibe to Friday nights, with house music along the lines of DJ Dan headlining, however I am not sure if Plant is still doing Saturday at C-fly. I think Noel Ashman still run the hip-hop party downstairs in the Pinky on Saturdays.

Centro-fly on Thursday I am ashamed to admit I have not hit yet, though I have heard nothing but wonderful reviews for the party. Aztec or Crystalmethod here can probably give you more info about their party.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

peace

Originally posted by waaaaa

sf this sunday...wake up get some breakfast ....roll ova for a sunday mass from jp...cant go wrong....wear whatever u feel comforable in cus its gonna be a long day.

na sunday morning is a little too early this week. I would say roll outa bed, do whatever you gota do on sunday, eat a late lunch, and then shoot over to the crack shack

Originally posted by exitsquared4e

na sunday morning is a little too early this week. I would say roll outa bed, do whatever you gota do on sunday, eat a late lunch, and then shoot over to the crack shack

you gonna be at Factory this weekend?

Centro-fly is the place to be on Thursdays.

Friday: depends who's spinning, usually is either Exit or Roxy but afterhours there is only one place club Arc(Vinil) and Sat. also depends on whose spinning usually is between Exit and Arc but afterhours everyone goes to Sound Factory. Sound Factory is not that great, the music sucks and they never bring any guest DJ, it's always Jonathan Peters:tongue: