Clubplanet Nightlife Community

is the rvae and club culture dead?

did i only get to catch the end of the rave/club culture. when i first went to limelight, n tunnel, n twilo it was all unbelievable, it seems every time i go out to the clubs or nething it is getting worse. i dont like exit that much, centro-fly is ok, the roxy is ok, the new estate(limelight) is not what it used to be- is there nething out there that is great, nething new i dont know about, nething underground that is worth checking out

Originally posted by jonathanrogers

did i only get to catch the end of the rave/club culture. when i first went to limelight, n tunnel, n twilo it was all unbelievable, it seems every time i go out to the clubs or nething it is getting worse. i dont like exit that much, centro-fly is ok, the roxy is ok, the new estate(limelight) is not what it used to be- is there nething out there that is great, nething new i dont know about, nething underground that is worth checking out

Try the "LUNATARIUM" ... its the best venue in NY...and they throw some amazing parties there :D

Feb. 28th there's gonna be a party there called "Local Flava 2"

I Guarantee you will LOVE that venue! if you wanna see the line up go here: www.raveclick.com/Events

i think that the club culture is in a state of contraction for the next couple of years as consumer tastes change.....its all cyclical....you probably did catch the tail end of the glory years.....i would take glows advice and go to brooklyn to try and find a more underground scene....new york city is dead...

Originally posted by jonathanrogers

Rave culture was never enormous in NY, you go to places like upstate Mass., DC., out central, Arizona, etc.. you will see that the Rave culture is alot more prevalent on those areas

i dont think its dead, were just lacking the BIG ole spooky places, that once was Tipical in NY....

There are places that are sorta Developing into something BIG Again......

prob ARC.....i can really see that place being the Next BIG thing, i give it a year, and shit, and it will be compared to Twilo n the likes, cause i think there gonna push bigger n bigger Talent...

to make it a musical PLace, like twilo was, but more intimate...

even tho i really dont care for the Crowd there n shit, im sure that it soon will be LEGENDARy as twilo was, 2-3 years from now...

the party's that are going on now, are the party's everyone will be gabbing obout ina few years when it closes, ya know?

Also.....New places. will be coming....POWDER with luck will re-open and be a music place, not a bottle crowd.

Deap.......is prob gonna be Centro-Fly.......But twice the size....

and estate....will prob start a Boris/Visious party soon...

so ny isent DEAD......u just gotta know were to look.

but its a NEW.....New york...

the Day of sucking dick under the tables at nell's is far OVER..

no more DRag queens Beating the shit out of each other with metal pips......or Crazy club kids. falling off balconies on K....and jerking off on the PAtrons for 20bugs to grab a bag of tweak....those were the early 90's

NOW....We have blow job's at Earth.....

Drag queens Bitching about lists at factory....

Snobby "music heads" posing at Vinyl......

and really small cool undergroudn party's i wont talk about on message boards, cause everything else annoys me, lol

Welcome to 2003.......the NEW Clubland... haha

:laugh:

agreed :aright:

Originally posted by jaysea

i dont think its dead, were just lacking the BIG ole spooky places, that once was Tipical in NY....

There are places that are sorta Developing into something BIG Again......

prob ARC.....i can really see that place being the Next BIG thing, i give it a year, and shit, and it will be compared to Twilo n the likes, cause i think there gonna push bigger n bigger Talent...

to make it a musical PLace, like twilo was, but more intimate...

even tho i really dont care for the Crowd there n shit, im sure that it soon will be LEGENDARy as twilo was, 2-3 years from now...

the party's that are going on now, are the party's everyone will be gabbing obout ina few years when it closes, ya know?

Also.....New places. will be coming....POWDER with luck will re-open and be a music place, not a bottle crowd.

Deap.......is prob gonna be Centro-Fly.......But twice the size....

and estate....will prob start a Boris/Visious party soon...

so ny isent DEAD......u just gotta know were to look.

but its a NEW.....New york...

the Day of sucking dick under the tables at nell's is far OVER..

no more DRag queens Beating the shit out of each other with metal pips......or Crazy club kids. falling off balconies on K....and jerking off on the PAtrons for 20bugs to grab a bag of tweak....those were the early 90's

NOW....We have blow job's at Earth.....

Drag queens Bitching about lists at factory....

Snobby "music heads" posing at Vinyl......

and really small cool undergroudn party's i wont talk about on message boards, cause everything else annoys me, lol

Welcome to 2003.......the NEW Clubland... haha

:laugh:

The rvae culture is pretty much dead. I went to a rvae once and there were people there saying "man rvae's were so much better back in the day, now its all mainstream and these new krundy idks are all about doing drugs. it used to be about the msuic."

agreed with the others tho - "rave" and club culture is much different here now. i reiterate my point whenever this topic comes up here - no longer do we have the mega venues but we have good cheap parties every single night of the week... with international talent spanning any possible genre, sub-genre and cross-genre you can imagine.

lunatarium has that warehouse feel to it.... definitely my new favorite rvae venue within 50 miles. also check out the asylum in mass - no 7-foot-6 drag queens in 3-foot heels throwing drama, but certainly a lot of fun. this saturday they're having their annual s&m-rave crossover party, which was a blast last year (basically sexually charged ravers in leather dancing around to "ass n titties", with the requisite blowjobs in darkened corners).

and besides, the scene is what you make of it.

peaz,

rob

Originally posted by dialectics

and besides, the scene is what you make of it.

Isn't this the answer, really?

Complaining about a dying rave/club scene is like complaining that America's turning to crap. We are the audience - we are the scene. So, if it seems to be declining, then perhaps we're to blame somehow.

I don't think the scene will ever really die - it might not return to the youthful enthusiasm it once had, but so long as there are music fans and deejays willing to spin for them, there will be a scene.

stagnant music and uncreative people have made it what it is at this point.

it all comes down to what you want out of the expereince and what you are willing to GIVE to others forhte experience to be created.

consumer culture played out the scene.

What every1 needs to understand is that the late 90's was an anomaly from the start. We(U.S.) were in a bull market and as much as I sound like cheese, the economy does reflect alot of things including money. Every1 and I mean every1 was making money and so we the consumers were able to spend all this extra cash by hitting up the clubs. These days we are in a 3 year bear market, the unemployment rate is high and so every1 is keeping low and trying to keep their jobs.

Dont get me wrong, Im probably one of the biggest advocates of electronic music and the whole club scene. I used to hit up Exit, Twilo and Big Fridays @ Roxy like it was going out of style but those same people that made it good are no longer interested in the club scene. It was those same people that made it what it was in those days. Everything was so new, trance and also XTC, yep, u can argue against me but it was a very big factor in driving the nitelife scene. Shit, I can remember, guys selling that shit out in the open in the club with no worries. Cmon, u dont see that shit anymore and u know what, u wont for a while if not ever.

The U.S. was on top of shit. These days the music has gotten better but thats it, the scene is not the same and so we have to deal with what we got.

Lets just hope that the US economy recovers soon and that will be the time when scene will pick up.

This is just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

if the rave / club culture was OUT

then CP and a number of djs would NOT be still left in rotation-

for what its worth

im trying to do what i can about bringing a MOVEMENT to the city and NJ

workin out ways to get ppl to notice more

DEEP DARK TRANCE / DARK TECHNO / and my new goodie

HARD HOUSE and HARD TRANCE-

i have just finished a cd that i will be makin moves to get under a label- so i hope this instigates more movent on it too.:tongue:

i think that as things have slowed in the scene- ppl will be comming back with a VNEGANCE soon- as was said earlier-

but they are going to have to be open for CHANGE in the music content-

djs and producerds like us are all about moving forwarnd and getting 10x better then the last time we were heard-

so even if ppl are staying in for a while

that dj and that promoter are still makin changes....

the only thing that makes it hard for me to keep a residancy is thati like playing all the hard DEEP stuff

and most ppl cant find it to end up following a dj for it.....

darkdarkdarkhardhardharddarkdarkdarkpukepukepuke

nyc got so dark that the lights went out on musical interest.

when i first heard dark shit i was like WTF THATS INSANE.

now i shake my head in disgust when i hear a set primarily of it.

yet it grew so quickly in popularity that every artist and DJ jumped on the "dark progressive tribal" bandwagon and overwhelmed the scene.

now we're reeling from that mass explosion of what was primarily a niche genre - the "icing on the cake", of each night you went to.

where some sets were highlighted by dark tracks that brought boompty-oomp to the dancefloor, now there are sets made up entirely of that.

It's sickening.

I'ts like eating a cake made up entirely of icing.

After the first piece you can't stomach any more.

hence I wait for the scene to change and all the "me too" DJ's to develop their sound further, or quit.

Originally posted by cintron

darkdarkdarkhardhardharddarkdarkdarkpukepukepuke

nyc got so dark that the lights went out on musical interest.

when i first heard dark shit i was like WTF THATS INSANE.

now i shake my head in disgust when i hear a set primarily of it.

yet it grew so quickly in popularity that every artist and DJ jumped on the "dark progressive tribal" bandwagon and overwhelmed the scene.

now we're reeling from that mass explosion of what was primarily a niche genre - the "icing on the cake", of each night you went to.

where some sets were highlighted by dark tracks that brought boompty-oomp to the dancefloor, now there are sets made up entirely of that.

It's sickening.

I'ts like eating a cake made up entirely of icing.

After the first piece you can't stomach any more.

hence I wait for the scene to change and all the "me too" DJ's to develop their sound further, or quit.

Amen