Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Good areas in Cali

ezdreamer

What are some areas I should be looking into if I were to move to Cali... preferrably in between Orange County near Laguna Beach and LA.

I'm talking descent rent, studio or one bedroom, etc... commute that isn't that horrendous to LA around and near the studios.

Any suggestions? I'm researching this stuff way way ahead... like a couple a year ahead... You know that old saying... those without a plan, plan to fail... so I'm planning here...

Wondering way ahead of time. Hehehehe... time for a change and see what Cali is all about...

------------------

Dream a little dream... and fawk the dejavus and nightmares!

caveman.gif

Well, Orange County and Laguna would have to be out of the plan if you want to be close to L.A. and the studios. O.C. and Laguna are atleast a good hour away WITHOUT TRAFFIC.

If it's the beach you wanna be close to then Venice, Santa Monica or Malibu would be ideas. As far as cheap rent goes, Venice would be good, then Santa Monica, but Malibu is a bit pricey.

Hopes this helps smile.gif

------------------

bearclr.gif We are here only if you believe, but believe only if you are certain.

Originally posted by ~surreal~:

Well, Orange County and Laguna would have to be out of the plan if you want to be close to L.A. and the studios. O.C. and Laguna are atleast a good hour away WITHOUT TRAFFIC.

If it's the beach you wanna be close to then Venice, Santa Monica or Malibu would be ideas. As far as cheap rent goes, Venice would be good, then Santa Monica, but Malibu is a bit pricey.

Hopes this helps smile.gif

Venice and Santa Monica... how far away is that from LA? Also how far away is that from Laguna Beach?

It doesn't have to be near beaches... just a good place with descent rent. I don't wanna have to watch my back everytime I go to my car if you know what I mean...

------------------

caveman.gif

Hank... party life can be found anywhere with the right people... it's not the venue at all... I used to think that, not anymore... all you I need is a couple of meet a couple of cool peeps and the rest is a go... hehehe...

When you get here... we gonna have to hang, for real... I got loads of questions for you... and bring a map... I'll bring the hot coffee...

About the places you mentioned... yeah... I'm gonna have to check them out cause I don't wanna be smack in the middle of LA... I don't wanna lose my sanity... it's why I don't live smack in the middle of NYC either... right now I live about 30-45 minutes from Manhattan... and that's what I prefer doing if I get out to Cali.

I got someone I know by Laguna Beach... so I prefer being smack in between there and LA. It's a simple reason and I'll tell you when you get here...

BTW bring a thick ass jacket to NY... it is fucking freezing out here... and I'm used to the cold weather so when I say it's cold it's cold as shit...

------------------

caveman.gif

Hey ezdreamer...

I am doing the move from NY to LA, too. Only, I am doing it sooner. Going out next week to look for places. Rent seems A LOT better in LA than NY. Check out the Yahoo and Excite classifieds. I found a lot of people looking to sublet and stuff.

Originally posted by bambam08:

Hey ezdreamer...

I am doing the move from NY to LA, too. Only, I am doing it sooner. Going out next week to look for places. Rent seems A LOT better in LA than NY. Check out the Yahoo and Excite classifieds. I found a lot of people looking to sublet and stuff.

Yo, Bambam, keep in touch man... since you're doing the move sooner than me... you can be my scout... let me know the ins and outs of moving stuff... I already know that it's gonna cost me 700 bucks to transport my Jeep over there. Any other costs I should about let me know...

Besides it will be cool to know another fellow NYCer that made the move about the same year as I... I'm gonna need all the friends I can make and get... all my support system will be shot down the drain if I make the move and that really sux...

Replacement Friends... hehehe... gonna be tough...

BTW, where are you going to be living in Cali? Did the Yahoo and Excite thing work out for you?

------------------

caveman.gif

The only places that are in between LA and OC are like Whittier (sp?) or some other random places off the FWY (city of industry) I hope didn't offend anybody, but dude, you can kiss your party life good bye with that kind of zip code. Might as well brave the cold.

dude...thanks hank for not offending me...hee hee. very thoughtful of you. random places!!! heh!!! i'm not even going to whine about my social life.

ezdreamer - if you want to live in OC esp laguna beach... rent will be high. i live half way b/w la and OC. i work in irvine and it's supposed to be a 45 min drive but in the mornings...damn...forget it...it's called the orange crush...an hour and 15 min drive. irvine is also a nice area to live in apt. wise...lots of college students...the business area is really nice. no life in OC though...

------------------

blueswirl.gifblueswirl2.gifblueswirl.gifblueswirl2.gifblueswirl.gif

Hi Charlie. She's right. The only places that are in between LA and OC are like Whittier (sp?) or some other random places off the FWY (city of industry) cwm6.gif I hope didn't offend anybody, but dude, you can kiss your party life good bye with that kind of zip code. Might as well brave the cold.

You want to come here and do the kind of things you're talking about, you have to live in Santa Monica, Hollywood, maybe Palms (a little less expensive), Culver City. A few studios are closer to Burbank.

See the thing w/ LA is that it has distinct living areas, little communities that are 30 minutes from each other. The West side (Westwood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood); The Valley; Hollywood, Silver Lake, South Bay, Orange County, etc. I'll need to bring you a map or something.

Hey man, I'm not a real cold weather fan either, WTF about NY in December?? Shit. cwm35.gif

------------------

"Money is one thing, but soul is another."

megaman1.gifmegaman1.gifmegaman1.gifmegaman1.gif

I got it~ Pasadena. That's a good place. Night life there is very...well, let's just say...VELVETA! But it's a nice city, and not too far from L.A.. About a good 1/2 hour w/o traffic (sometimes only 20 minutes!). The rent there is a bit cheaper.

TONS of restaurants so you won't starve, and parking is AWSOME! Not like here where you can't even find a spot on the sidewalk to park if you were allowed.

Anywho, good luck.

------------------

bearclr.gif We are here only if you believe, but believe only if you are certain.

[This message has been edited by ~surreal~ (edited 12-10-2000).]

Msbobois, cool, very cool, Irvine sounds great and it's halfway between OC and LA... very cool. Is Irvine a descent area and does it have descent rent? An hour and 15 minutes doesn't sound bad... you really haven't seen the rush hour in NYC right? Well, from where I'm at in NY, it can take me 2 hours to get to Manhattan when it's supposed to be 25 minutes... so I'm kinda used to killer traffic.

Surreal, so you say Pasadena? How far away is that from Laguna Beach? And yeah, what you're talking about sounds a good contender as well... parking, night life... and yeah... since I'm a bachelor, I'm gonna need as much help as I can get from restaurants and take out food.

Also what about Long Beach? I hear good things about that area as well.

Folks I don't really have to worry about the morning commute... all I really have to worry is the commute from my bed to my desk... well, actually that takes me like an hour... heheheh...

------------------

caveman.gif

ezydreamer...

I will keep ya posted. I have had about 10 replies with the Yahoo and Excite. Someone is even getting us a good rate at a hotel to stay in for next week. A lot of people have a room they want to rent out that is furnished with all utilies, cable, dsl, parking, etc.(which is good because we are flying there and will have pretty much nothing) and most dont ask for a sec. deposit. But, I will let you know about any other expenses when I come up upon em.

Oh...and my cousin lives in Pasedena. It is on the other side of LA, further from the beach. We are looking into the Westside...West LA, Santa Monica, Brentwood, Culver City and Westwood. I will keep you posted!

Originally posted by Crackorn:

I can't post anything like this on the NY boards because I'll get CRUCIFIED for speaking such blasphemy. Oh well. ez- please say you're hitting Sasha/Digweed on the 22nd (did I ask you this like 5 times already? Probably)

Oh you know I'm gonna be hitting S&D on the 22nd... I won't miss it.

And yeah, on the NY board we would get crucified... they would be like, no, no... NY is the da shit... well, yes and no... NY has everything... assholes, nice peeps, the clubs , but one thing NY ain't got is nice weather, that and earthquakes. I wanna get all shook up... hehehehe...

Bambam08, cool... I've been looking at the rents from rent.com... and let me tell ya, I think I can afford a place without any roommates from hell. Rents are so much cheaper than a closet in NYC where it goes for a grand. I don't think I would wanna a room... I'm wanna a pad of my own... I wanna rule my domain... can't stand to follow someone else's rules...

------------------

caveman.gif

All this talk of beaches and studios is making me very jealous. I can't believe my post is still alive (and on the first page!). I guess LA people go to work and actually work, not BS on the boards all day. I think I'm a little nervous about visiting because I may stay for good (and possibly not tell anyone back home) I can't post anything like this on the NY boards because I'll get CRUCIFIED for speaking such blasphemy. Oh well. ez- please say you're hitting Sasha/Digweed on the 22nd (did I ask you this like 5 times already? Probably)

------------------

Too crazy for Boys Town, too much of a boy for Crazy Town.

Do what thou wilt.

Aleister Crowley

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams- Willy Wonka

AIM: crackorn71

Originally posted by ezdreamer:

Yo, Bambam, keep in touch man... since you're doing the move sooner than me... you can be my scout... let me know the ins and outs of moving stuff... I already know that it's gonna cost me 700 bucks to transport my Jeep over there. Any other costs I should about let me know...

Besides it will be cool to know another fellow NYCer that made the move about the same year as I... I'm gonna need all the friends I can make and get... all my support system will be shot down the drain if I make the move and that really sux...

Replacement Friends... hehehe... gonna be tough...

Hey EZdreamer...you sound almost like me in the moving department. I had my Jeep transported over to Boston when I went...$700 and very worth it...although it did arrive 3 days late. I ended up driving it to Cali this summer when I moved from Boston out here...not a fun trip and the miles didn't do anything friendly to my odometer (131,000 miles on it to date!).

I just moved out here too (from Boston) and I found the moving process to be a pain...but my suggestions for where to move would be Manhattan Beach if you want to live realitively far from LA and far from Laguna Beach (there is no "close" inbetween!!!) ...but still be in a cool area. As for Irvine...I had a job interview out there and it took me two hours to get there, no traffic.

Right now I just moved to Santa Monica (Week #3, yay!) and I must say, it is a cool place to live. Venice, LA, Hollywood are all just around the corner.

And as for making friends, I need some replacement ones too...I miss my crazy friends in Boston...Hank can attest to that. I just discovered this messageboard a week ago and was crying to him and everyone else how I haven't met anybody nice at the clubs...but screw that! I want to meet nice people period!!!! ANYWHERE!!! When I visited New York, I met the nicest people each time...granted we were in a distant "happy" alternate world (Twilo on drugs)...but they were all friendly... cwm3.gifcwm3.gif

Djfrostcali,

Shit... really, no in between places between LA and OC? Oh well... I'm sure there's gotta be a place I can find comfortable. When you say far, how far in comparison... I don't think 45 minutes is that far... Say LA to Irvine... Irvine to Laguna Beach...

Like I said I wanna be smack in the middle... like 1 hour away from LA and one hour away from OC... that way I get bets of both worlds. Far for me it means driving 5 hours... not a measly 1-2 hours with traffic.

Also where were you at that took you two hours to get to Irvine?

I hear that Long Beach is a nice area as well with a good film community and not too far from LA and Laguna Beatch... kinda like in teh middle if there was one.

About the Jeep, here's the thing... I head that you have to pass the smog test in Cali... My Jeep is newer, 99, so they tell me I may have to get it retrofitted for Cali emissions... This is not sounding good... Also I heard that you have to make an appointment for DMV... and you have to take a written exam to get a Cali license in liew of wherever you come from...

Keep me posted on these things... so I know what to expect.

As far as new friends go... keep in touch cause when I get down there I'm gonna try my best to tear shit up...

------------------

caveman.gif

Originally posted by ezdreamer:

Djfrostcali,

Also where were you at that took you two hours to get to Irvine?

I hear that Long Beach is a nice area as well with a good film community and not too far from LA and Laguna Beatch... kinda like in teh middle if there was one.

About the Jeep, here's the thing... I head that you have to pass the smog test in Cali... My Jeep is newer, 99, so they tell me I may have to get it retrofitted for Cali emissions... This is not sounding good... Also I heard that you have to make an appointment for DMV... and you have to take a written exam to get a Cali license in liew of wherever you come from...

Keep me posted on these things... so I know what to expect.

As far as new friends go... keep in touch cause when I get down there I'm gonna try my best to tear shit up...

ezdreamer...

Please tear shit up. I need shit torn up...otherwise I'll go insane!!!

As for the Jeep...

You will need to get your car retrofitted, most likely, because Cali is strict on smog-check enforcements and regulations. However, my boyfriend moved out here with me from Boston and he has Mass. plates and a Mass. license still...and we've been here for a couple months. He still has Mass. insurance too...which he's paying up the arse for, but what can you do when you have 3 moving violations, right? As far as I know, you don't HAVE to make an appointment with the DMV...I never heard of a written driving test involved just cuz you moved here. BUT, I don't know...I'm originally from Cali and never changed my license when I left for 5 years...hehehe. If you want to register your car in Cali and get Cali insurance (which is probably much cheaper than NYC insurance), you will have to go to the DMV and get a new license and what not. This isn't a bad thing b/c as my boyfriend has found, when you want to go buy liquor, if you have an out-of-state license they give you a hard time...and he's 23.

As for Long Beach...I heard it was becoming the "new LA"...of course I heard this from the people I was interviewing with in Irvine...I told them I wanted to be near LA. My 2 hour commute to Irvine began in Santa Clarita, which is close to Pasadena...

So Long Beach could be good...but I hear the 710 freeway has an accident every single day...and if you lived there, that would be your freeway.

But rent is cheaper, and if the night life is good, then you should have fun. And the Queen Mary is there...you could always attempt to throw a bang up party aboard her...

And besides, it sounds like you can make any place fun...so maybe the LBC is your place...

Anyway, check it out...and don't forget Manhattan beach...or Huntington Beach for that matter.

--djfrost cwm17.gif

Retrofitting my Jeep ain't gonna be cheap... 700 bucks from what I'm hearing... This 700 figure seems to be coming up everytime.

Let's see... 700 to transport my car... 700 to retrofit my car... prolly 700 for rent... wtf is going on here???

------------------

caveman.gif

CHECK IT OUT IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A NICE AREA LOOK NO FURTHER LA MIRADA IS THE PLACE. HAVE LIVED HERE FOR ALMOST A 11/2. YOUR ONLY A 1/2 HOUR FROM LA, HOLLYWOOD, 45 MIN TO SANTA MONICA. GOING SOUTH ABOUT 45MIN TO LAGUNA.JUST ADD 15 MIN IF YOUR IN TRAFFIC. YOUR SURROUNDED BY ALL MAJOR FWYS 605,5,91,57,22. CHECK IT OUT. WHO KNOWS IT MIGHT BE THE PLACE FOR YOU. PEACE!

Originally posted by big j:

CHECK IT OUT IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A NICE AREA LOOK NO FURTHER LA MIRADA IS THE PLACE

Yes, yes, yes... that sounds like a great place... How are the rents there? One bedroom, studio, with parking, etc...

Man, this is zactly what I was looking for... 30-45 minutes in either direction.

------------------

caveman.gif

You know what, the best place to live in LA is Hollyweird, I mean Hollywood. You're centrally located to Hollywood, only 5 minutes from Hollywood and basically right in the middle of Hollwoood. Why live anywhere else?

If you want to go to the beach, get on the freeway. If you want to go to OC, get on the freeway. If you want to go to the valley (why, I don't know), get on the freeway. If you want to go to San Francisco, you guessed it...but I'd take a plane, it's not that expensive...but the drive is beautiful.

just my 2 pesos.

If you want a reasonable place to live between Laguna and LA, I think you should check out Costa Mesa. Reasonable rent. Good Highway access, right next to the 405, 5, and 55. You can get to the Hollywood Clubs in about 40 minutes with out traffic, nice drive to Laguna also. Besides that you are a very short trip to Newport Beach (phat area) and Huntington Beach.

I say to sweat to much about getting the car registered unless you are sure you will be here a while. I came from CT and didn't register mine for a year due to shear laziness.....maybe I got a little lucky by not getting pulled over.

Anyway, check out Costa Mesa.

Yeah, places for me to check will include Costa Mesa (except the rent seems a bit higher there), La Mirada, Long Beach, Irvine, Psasadena and a couple of other places.

Kinda funny about the highways, six lanes there compared to our three in NY, sometimes 4 and it stills gets packed like crazy... hmm... time to get Detroit to make flying cars maybe? hehehe... one can only wish...

Nope, no Hollywood for me... that place will make me go insane after a few days... too much biz for me... I want to have some distance between the biz and the place I live so I can keep my sanity for as long as I can.

------------------

caveman.gif

Archived