Clubplanet Nightlife Community

strange vibes in Ft. lauderdale....

meng

So a couple of friends of mine decided to go out to support our very good friend and awesome dj Wendel at club Matrix in Ft. Lauderdale and it was one of the weirdest vibes I had felt in a while. First of all, this club is just a piece of what used to be the old Edge club where we (my friends) started "raving" back in 1994 and they have totally dismantled the club into several different smaller clubs within the same building......so that was one thing that was sad to experience first of all....

The next thing is the fucking crowd. What the fuck was THAT?! Wendel was spinning a set of progressive house wortthy of Crobar or Space status and the people at this club probably wouldn't even be able to tell you what kind of music this was. There was absolutely no vibe. People were dancing like idiots. It was as if nobody had listened to house music before and were dancing to it for the first time. It was really awkward and it was sad. As much as I'm sure Wendel is trying to create a following there, it doesn't seam to want to happen. Ft. Lauderdale is no where close to being a "house" town like Miami Beach....not even close......

But all in all Wendel played an awesome set and I know that at least 3 of us enjoyed it and could even mention a few of his tracks.

Wendel deserves a residency down here in South Beach where people will appreciate him.

when i go to FtLaud i feel like i have driven more than just 20 minutes. it feels like another state. its a good change up but you are right they are soooooo far behind. People on here always say that FT L is on the rise? ok sure:rolleyes:

never heard wendel. too bad for the vibe.

Dave ralph at crobar rocked it pretty good. and next week Edgar V is there:eek:

Just say no to fT lAUD:nono:

never heard wendel

Wendel's been around for almost ten years already. He's a great dj and spins house and breaks. Many people here on this board are well aware of Wendel's skills. He used to work at Y+T with Stryke and he's also responsible for me getting out of my Florida breaks stage 4 years ago and into progressive house. Thank God for that! The guy is cool as fuck too. He's also opened up for Stryke at Ongaku once before that party shut down.

We both marched the University of Miami band's drumline 91-95 back in the day.

He has his mixes on sale at just about every major record sore. I've seen his CD's at Best Buy and they are damn good.

He really should be spinning for people that know what's up.

Originally posted by jeffy1

FT. LAUDERDALE,IS GOING DOWN,ALL THE CLUBS ARE TURNING TO HIP HOP.MY FRIENDS ARE ALL HITTING S.BEACH,I RATHER GO TO S.BEACH 1 TIME A MONTH,THAN FT.LAUDERDALE 4 TIMES.THERE IS NO VIBE,ENERGY UP THERE LIKE S.BEACH.

PEACE OUT

You know, a lot of people are saying the same thing about South Beach.

Lauderdale's worse, for sure, but the beach isn't no parade either. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting some hip-hop event.

I know it brings in the cash, and I'll respect that, but the amount of hip-hop events has hit critical mass...the market's gonna cave in on that too.

Guest saleen351

Peter Reuopher (sp)

Jr Vasquez

George Acosta

Oscar G

Dj Scribles

all played lauderdale or will in the last 2 months....

Acosta has a residency and big name guys are on board with lot 120...

and just because there is a better vibe in miami, doesn't mean they know music, or are there for the music... Just a greater population to pack the clubs...

Saleen, I'll agree with you there. Most clubgoers in Miami are frighteningly stupid. Last night, I was checking out Ariel's set @ Spi, and even though there were lots of people on the beach, as well as flyers and promotions galore for his set, not a lot of people showed up. Ariel's one of the most underappreciated DJs in town, due to the reasons you mentioned.

Agree w/u on Ariel, Pod.

Unfortunately for him, last night was the night of Crobar. Simple as that. The place rocked, havn;t seen that many hot vibeful girls in a while there.

It was Crobar's 3rd Anniversary party, and it felt like the good old days of Crobar. Dave Ralph tore it 'til past 4:30, but what impressed me the most was the production they put together. And the laser show the best I've seen since Delta Heavy.

Props to the Crobar family, and Happy Anniversary.

It's a proven fact that Ft Lauderdale has no personality whatsoever...it's a frat party and it catters for the eternal frat crowd...up-scale beefed up jocks with trophy wifes w/silicon implants roam the place freely without having to worry about the crowd they so clearly denied and disowned some years ago...begining with the abolishment of spring break at the lauderdale strip, it totally lost its cool.

I have great memories of The Edge, I wouldn't like to see it as Meng describes it today...aside from the raving...The Edge held the best conccerts in a very intimate setting...I saw Bad Religion, Mighty Mighty Bostons, Live, Counting Crows and many others...it's basically a basketball gim/ barn, all made of wood...the stage and the layout of the room created a unique vibe...it was typical to be a able to have a beer with the performer afterwards...that intimate an no-nonsense of a setting.

I seriously think it doesn't matter who goes to play Lauderdale...it will always be welcome as a novelty act "A Dj From Miami"...people will go to see it with the same motivation they go to the chug-away bar and will have the same interest they would to watching the fishing network while they down beers.

Of course, everyone's entitled to have a good time, so what I would say is power to Ft Lauderdale and Lauderdalians for that matter...they have figured out a way to alienate themselves from the outter world and alienate the outter world from understanding the unexistant vibe there.

I say it a again, Ft Lauderdale is a paradise for the well to do dentists and lawyers and their trophy wifes...if you are the exception to the rule...well, congratulations...have fun in Lauderdale.

Fort Lauderdale Bar Stool

Laufer.jpg

:bored:

Guest saleen351

I seriously think it doesn't matter who goes to play Lauderdale...it will always be welcome as a novelty act "A Dj From Miami"...people will go to see it with the same motivation they go to the chug-away bar and will have the same interest they would to watching the fishing network while they down beers.

So according to you, tonight with Jr Vaquez spining a 12 hour set and Oscar G playing lauderdale and Scribbles playing matrix and 50 Cent playing Venue, and Peter Reuopher playing lauderdale that all these parties are "novelty acts":confused:

KARMA LOUNGE RIVALS ANYTHING IN SOBE... HOW DO I KNOW? CAUSE I BEEN THERE UNLIKE EVERY PERSON ON THIS BOARD EXCEPT HOG AND GUYMAN...

ITS EASY TO BASH, BUT IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO EXPLAIN WHY SOMETHING SUCKS WHEN YOU NEVER COME TO LAUDERDALE:idea:

PS THE CROWD IN LAUDERDALE IS MUCH YOUNGER THAN SOBE, AND THEY DON'T CARRY GLOCS AND GATS.....

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by lolahotass

Speaking of which, did you get my kevlar tube-top ordered beotch?:tongue:

i'm not worried about your tits, we got them covered, but the company called and said, they don't make a kevlar Ass protector that big..... Has to be a special order custom job....:tongue:

Originally posted by saleen351

So according to you, tonight with Jr Vaquez spining a 12 hour set and Oscar G playing lauderdale and Scribbles playing matrix and 50 Cent playing Venue, and Peter Reuopher playing lauderdale that all these parties are "novelty acts":confused:

KARMA LOUNGE RIVALS ANYTHING IN SOBE... HOW DO I KNOW? CAUSE I BEEN THERE UNLIKE EVERY PERSON ON THIS BOARD EXCEPT HOG AND GUYMAN...

ITS EASY TO BASH, BUT IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO EXPLAIN WHY SOMETHING SUCKS WHEN YOU NEVER COME TO LAUDERDALE:idea:

PS THE CROWD IN LAUDERDALE IS MUCH YOUNGER THAN SOBE, AND THEY DON'T CARRY GLOCS AND GATS.....

yes Saleen, that's exactly what I mean...for you to try and challenge will also be a novelty act...we would be known as "The newcomer meets the local" just chill the fuck out and let us entertain you...welcome and make yourself at home.

next!

Originally posted by shroomy

Ft. Lauderdale will always be the place where drinking is the first priority, hooking up the second priority and music is down around 10th priority.

I've played a few times in Ft. Lauderdale and even worse, West Palm. When it comes to music and a scene, I refer to both places as the graveyard. It's deader than dead up there and music is not a priority to most of the people who go out. They are just as happy to hear Britney Spears, RUN DMC or Smashmouth as the would be to hear the latest progressive bomb! It's not that they are clueless about music, it's that they don't really care what sound is being played in the background.

I agree with you Shroomy you crazy cat!! Hooking up and Drinking are what it's about up there.:blank:

OK...let's not kid ourselves here...hooking up and drinking are what it's about in the vast majority of clubs everywhere no matter who is DJing.

It's an interresting thing that when we promote a music based show here in Miami Beach that we get a large percentage of the crowd from Broward and Palm Beach counties...but there is no evidence of that crowd when you go out in Lauderdale. The truth is that true music seeking clubbers don't like that scene either so they make the ride down to South Beach.

Saleen, don't get your hopes up because a few DJs are playing Laudy. Your list really does not mean much as far as building a scene. Vasquez and Rauhopher, while they may be your style, are gay circuit DJs and will remain so. GA and OG, both great DJs, are local and Skribbles is really not taken seriously among Dance peeps.

They won't gain any credibility until guys like Sasha, Van Dyk, Piccotto, Oakey start to think it's cool. When we started bring in DJs to Shadow Lounge it was near impossible because nobody was doing it and the DJs didn't know what to expect. Only after Oakey and I became friends and he agreed to do it was it easy. Other DJs said "If Oakey did it, it must be a good club" and from there it was easy.

Nobody big will take that chance on Laudy while the safe bet Sobe and Space are right next door. So...Laudy stays the home of the $5 cover and the cheap beer and the bar fight.

C'mon, even Saleen had given up on Laudy as the next big thing...I've lived here all my life. I've heard this debate many times before and it always ends up the same.

Cheers, Dade

Guest saleen351

OG, though you make a decent valid point, you are missing the key reason those djs don't come to lauderdale...

Its all about the $$$$$$$$ Lauderdale clubs are not big enough and cant' charge the big cover for those big name djs...Hence why you only see gay circuit djs who can draw that crowd and cover charges. When I did the party with Oscar, even though he was awesome with the price since it was for us, we still can't make a killling due to a small club... Hell we barley made any money...

If those djs came down to the 5k range for certain venues, you have a shot at making money, but after 5k at any club up you can't make money...

It just really saddened me considering that The Edge in Ft. Lauderdale 7 years ago was THE place for underground music. Every Sunday morning the same cool peeps would come and dance their asses off until noon to breakbeats and house music.

DJ's Bruce Wilcox, Mike Sharpe, Wendel, Stryke to name a few were the pioneers of the scene back then. It was THE place to be. Now there is no such place to be found anywhere near South Florida. The Edge was like Cheers.....where everybody knows your name......

So you can imagine how sad it was to see Wendel do his thing in a small room that is 1/4th of the old Edge in front of a crowd that don't even know what the term "progressive house" is.

Ft. Lauderdale is a fun town but they are really clueless as to the dance scene. There won't be any "Global Underground- Ft. Lauderdale" releases anytime soon that's for sure.

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by ogmiami

And there you have the reason that the Sobe and Downtown music scenes have nothing to fear from Laudy.

As long as there is a cap on fees and limited profit potential, big names will go where the $$ is.

right but wrong....

many djs are going back and getting regular jobs since djing can no longer support them. Every dj i speak too, is concerned about their future. Things don't look good. Hence if you apply the economic laws of supply and demand, whereas Qs meets QD=PE, but QD has fallen big time over the last 2 years, hence the PE shifts to the left, hence lower prices. Lower PE means more big name djs come to lauderdale.... and that my friend means all the big boys come to lauderdale.. granted there is no gurantee it will happen...

Saleen and ogmiami both brought up good points with the whole big dj wages issue, and admission prices at the door.

Still, why is it a lot of clubs in cities like Washington, Boston, and even some in San Francisco can charge $10-15 at the door for a good DJ and Ft. Lauderdale can't? Is it b/c of the proximity to South Beach?

Aside from Miami, $25-30 cover charges are usually only seen in NY, L.A., and Chicago, or am I wrong here?

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by CHRles

Saleen and ogmiami both brought up good points with the whole big dj wages issue, and admission prices at the door.

Still, why is it a lot of clubs in cities like Washington, Boston, and even some in San Francisco can charge $10-15 at the door for a good DJ and Ft. Lauderdale can't? Is it b/c of the proximity to South Beach?

Aside from Miami, $25-30 cover charges are usually only seen in NY, L.A., and Chicago, or am I wrong here?

none of the NYC djs ever venture into NJ for the same reason the miami djs don't venture up here..... only makes sense since being a dj is based on a rep that you are the man and only play the biggest and best places....

Only rock legends like Sprinsteen and Aerosmith can show up and play a small club and get praised for it, instead of being labeled as washed up....