Clubplanet Nightlife Community

<<<tyler Stadius @ Maze>>>

eddyguerra305

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by telex

Final words while I try to put this thread to rest . my final conclusion is that while modernism and whoever else had good intentions and the connections to bring Tyler down. They should of really thought this out . Since when has a house dj that is fairly un-known to many with the exception of myself and a few other educated househeads been able to pack a club as large as MAZE. I mean most of the people there that night didnt know who the fuck Tyler was. I mean it would of worked alot better at Aquabooty at least that crowd are more receptive to hearing different forms of house and.... its a smaller more intimate VIBEY space. I mean if your going to bring somebody more on the house tip to MAZE's main room

you would probably have done better with someone like Eric Morillo for example. Tyler's is a dj that is better heard intimately with others that can appreciate him, at least in Miami. On another note I think Demi(Deeper Substance) could of pulled it off better even coming on after Sammy's banging set. Of course they are different but both, for the most part un-known to many in Miami. Hopefully, Maze can get the formula right

I think it is not Modernisms problem. They are not promoters, they are a great booking team. A team that knows what's up.

The problem is to bring new sounds and new DJs to a crowd that is used to more commercial house as the one that frequents Opium. You bring cutting edge talent to exactly the wrong crowd. Aside from the thirty of us who knew and like Tyler, not even their promoters have ever heard him. And now they excuse themselves as "Tyler played breaks". How can you adapt where Sammy O left to some smooth tech house?

Just FYI, Maze already understands what's wrong in their formula. So for next Friday they have, Sammy O and MATT MARTINEZ OPEN BAR 10-2 am :eek: :eek: :laugh:

Realize something, after Friday, Maze wants to be like Opium. Swapping beauty for sound. Do you guys think their crowd cares?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by pod

Tyler wasn't going to do an entire breaks set. If the pencilnecks on the floor knew anything, they'd realise he was just opening up his set with some of it. I didn't get in until 2:00, but I can see exactly what happened.

Sammy O finishes up...Tyler gets on, drops some quirky little breaks track....the guys on the dancefloor get a kick out of it, a laugh or two, meanwhile their snooty bitch girlfriends are getting all huffy about the music, and want to leave, and therefore the room empties...

The general crowd down here has no patience, and isn't willing to try something new on for size. I've seen it happen a million times...Burridge drops a breaks track at Spin, the room empties, Tyler does it at Maze, the room empties. Should DJs not drop breaks? Hell no. Should the DJs play exclusively what the crowd wants? No. You want that, install a laptop with a copy of Direct Connect in the DJ booth. A real DJs purpose is to entertain and educate. Frankly, the same exact style all night would get to me.

i couldn't agree with you more....pod. i also think that tyler would have done better at aquabooty with the DHM boyz.

i have to admit that i really enjoyed Tyler's set. although i was very disappointed to see the sparse turnout at Maze, however, you have to admit, the past few weeks that place has been packed and i'm really impressed with the talent they've been bringing in. it's not Tyler's fault that hardly anyone came out on friday.....peeps need to be more educated about the music .....as with anything else, if you're not educated about it, it's hard to appreciate it. the crowd in miami really isn't ready for more diversity in music and that's sad.

my .02

First of all, Maze cannot do an Opium-esque theme with themselves, they already have a reputation as being a club with some issues. The Opium crowd is going to stay at .... Opium! They're not gonna leave their happy home on Collins for the time being.

You think Maze is empty now, if they do in fact try to imitate Opium, they'll be shut by summertime.

I think what Maze should really do is take a hands-off approach to the club. Invite high-profile promoters in, and let them do what they think is best. Having Eddie Guerra is a start, he's got the family name to back him up, and perhaps he can bring his brother Emi out and do something out of this world there. Hehe, get Tony to divest from crobar too! They need a music director too who really knows the local scene. The music director will suggest talent, and the high-profile promoters will run with it.

An unfortunate thing I noticed with Maze was the tendency of one of the promoters from Lime Bar to come over and take the crowd from the main room. It may earn Lime Bar a few more bucks, but it's ultimately self-defeating since Lime Bar cannot support Maze. Frankly, the Lime Bar promoter seems to do just fine with the crowd that is there, he shouldn't be stealing from the Maze crowd, which is struggling at the moment.

this is an interesting topic of conversation which I have been keeping an eye on these past few days with interest as I was glad that Tyler was going to be guesting at Maze.

Coming from the experience and awesome ones at that from playing in Miami 3 times within 12 months and will be a lot more within the next few months, "cutting edge" music and Miami's music scene do not go hand in hand and this has been it appears clearly reflected on the night with Tyler who personally I think is a kick ass DJ who has rocked Fabric here in London so many times he is treated as a local hero there.

The same cannot be expected to happen in Miami and certainly not in a place like Maze. The ideals are true indeed BUT there needs to be some sort of balance sorry I think that's the wrong word,....the promoters need to be booking more credible nights to be showcased and there needs to be far more research carried out into how you will pack the club out it simply isn't enough to book someone like Tyler and expect it to be rammed.

Nights like hosting Subliminal which would feature Erick and Co or OVUM records with Josh Wink and Co, something along those lines would be better.. Providing more of a package is what I guess I am trying to say if that makes any sense and it's the same method of thought I had when the idea was there to host Deeper Substance at Maze.

There needs to be a substance behind every party and not just simply booking a DJ in the hope that it wil pack. I only had the balls to host a party at Maze because there was a foundation there built from last year's WMC and also at Reserved in November, building the momentum creating THAT vibe you need to make a party special and I feel that the first DS night on the 24th Jan was a significant step in that direction. Keeping in regualr contact with people, spreading the word basically good promotion for something you believe in is how things will work and yes it takes time but that is all more rewarding.

After Conference and the 2 parties I will be hosting at Reserved during that time, I have agreed to a quarterly residency at Maze with the intention of creating that special occasion at Maze for friends, music lovers and the public in general and have had awesome support from so many good people in the local area who accept and want to push my beliefs forward.

I honestly do believe in Maze and WMC will be a critical time for the owners. I think they will certainly hold their own anyway

:)

pod is on the right lines there I feel the club must not go down the same route as Opium.

I would give Eddie the benefit of the doubt. But it is going to be an uphill task. He posted it was going to be a great night but no one showed up.

Aside from the PMS / Deeper Substance party on the 24th and the Mr. C party (Sobe Spots nite) Maze has done nothing to make me believe they will.

Good luck Eddie. We will try to show as much support as we can.

:cool:

ok, as the head of modernism i feel it is now time for me to clarify a few things here. this night w/ tyler was originally booked for jan 31st. it was booked to be a p:msessions event in the upstairs room. due to issues w/ tylers work permit. it was discovered that his visa was not due to be issued until just a few days AFTER the 31st. so, although this allowed him to continue w/ the rest of his US tour but he had to reschedule the miami date which would have been the kick off date.

now for a bit of history of modernism. we started modernism w/ the ethos of doing something different here in miami. something a bit more underground and we targeted the next generation of dj's coming up in the industry to fill out our plans. with tech house, prog and a bit of progressive breaks to fill the sounds. basically the sounds of london that are sure to happen here in a few years time. we have been working hard over the past year pushing things forth during a time when the market and overall acceptance is at an all time low. last WMC we were the first, not only in miami, but in the united states to bring deeper substance. at that time we were not running under the name modernism, but we were laying the first tracks of what was to come. it was at that time that demi met alejandro from p:msessions and together we have all been pushing demi here in miami for the past 12 months.

now over the year we (modernism) had flirted a bit w/ several people including big dj little club among others. none of them brought much fruit until we joined alliances w/ maze and p:m sessions. i had several concepts that i brought to the table but ultimately we all settled on doing some things to help mine the next generation in the upstairs room of maze with p:m sessions. the basic deal was, since myself as well as the rest of the modernism crew had the contacts to supply the talent, that p:m sessions would handle the business and promotions end. together we brought in demi again for the first real night and it was a very successful venture. modernism then worked to bring dj's like paolo mojo and tyler stadius (as well as a few others that due to financial constraints etc fell through the cracks) however unfortunately things have changed and p:msessions has gone a different direction.

since maze had already signed the contract w/ tylers managment it was decided to go forth w/ the event in the main room. with that in mind i feel the night was a failure on both parts. a lot of people on here are blaming sammy o. in my opinion, he played what THE CLUB asked of him. he's been unfairly thrown under the bus here and i don't feel it's necessary. however, i had put in a couple requests to have austin leeds fill the opening roll in the month leading up to the night. both went without reply. but, that's not entirely placing blame on the club or sammy. tyler in my opinion did not adjust his sound what so ever for the size of the room nor the type of crowd. not that he should have to, respect where respect is due, but his set did start out a bit to mellow for any venue. even by london standards. the herbie hancock track 3-4 tracks in was not exactly where i would have placed it in a set. maybe end of the night track, once the crowd is hooked, but not as bait to bring them in. after that though, i felt tyler recovered nicely. a bit low on the BPM's but still danceable. it's just too bad that miami isn't a bit more receptive as it was several years ago.

back in january it was obvious in meetings w/ maze and p:m sessions that we were all willing to take a few hits to help to educate the crowd. we were all in agreement to build things the way groovejet did. back then, working w/ carmel ophir and later bliss and naive, they were responsible for building the names of sasha, john digweed, dave seaman, nick warren in miami. they were the first people to build the names of danny howells and steve lawler over 5 years ago now. add to that the things that dade did over at shadow around the same time. now those guys are staples of any good night in miami and the dj's they brought then are big draws from miami to london, nyc or otherwise.

maze walked in and these types of events are hands off to them. the big name dj's are loyal to a point with the people who brought them then. or with a more established club like space. the big talent just wasn't there. i personally have recognised that there is a huge gap now in clubbing between the big boys and the next generation. steve lawler was a monthly resident at groovejet in 1999. nobody knew who he was except the music heads. i know. i was there. now he packs space 4 times a year w/ a residency that goes from main room to patio all in one night. that is why we all decided now was the time to start bridging the gap. to build like lawler was built. w/ my contacts and their venue and promotion we felt we could build something from the ground up and since most of the dj's are personal friends of modernism's we could bring them in at an affordable rate and not take much financial risk.

it worked well w/ demi and was a huge success for mr c (although modernism had nothing to do w/ mr c other than a suggestion), but for whatever reason, maze didn't have the promotion in place for the tyler night and the paolo night was an issue i'm affraid i'm not at liberty to give my opinion. add to the fact, that just like pod mentioned above, somebody was circulating through the main room telling clubbers that "the main room is closing" a good hour before the room eventually did close. very interesting. my question is, how many times did this guy do this before myself and a couple of my friends happened to hear this?

now maze has a few more things coming up outside of conference that it will be interesting to see how well they are promoted. back in january modernism brought in tyler stadius's management for a walk through of the club and since then they have booked another dj off the same roster, gene farris . as well as booking another good friend of mine luke fair. they have done these things without the help of modernism (other than the initial management contact and the luke fair cd's that have gone missing that i gave them in early january) and i applaud them for pressing forth w/ the sound.

modernism will have a couple events in the lime bar fro conference. one on wednesday march 19 from 1-9pm w/ dj's: paul louth, john ioannou, greg pappanastos, steve gerrard, wyatt earp, frank (phrankadelic!!)fernandez, & maya amack

other one on saturday march 22 1-9pm w/ dj's dave preston & joe c., jay household & joey m., dustin camilleri & daniel mnookin, & last but not least - AMERICA vs. ENGLAND (bill patrick & tom amoroso vs. paul louth & john ioannou)

add to that we've worked on bringing in vibe from gainsville to have a kick ass austrailian lineup in the main room at maze on tuesday march 18 w/ dj's and live PA's by: Infusion (Live) (Audio Therapy; AUS); Phil K. (Dark Alley, Hi Fi Bugs; AUS); Ashley Casselle (Ashtrax, Automatic, Distinctive; UK); Grayarea (Live) (Hope Recordings); Smight(Cure Recordings, Fade, Proton Radio); Joe C. (Forwardthinkingmusic.com, Simons); and Dave Preston (Forwardthinkingmusic.com, Vibe, Proton Radio)

and helping push our good friends from nyc, philly and denver! casa del soul and the 112 crew thursday march 20 in the lime bar w/ dj's: DJ Sense' (Casa Del Soul, Denver), Wyatt Earp (Hochokai, Casa Del Soul, Denver), Little Mike (Phrunky Recordings), Ty Tek (Phrunky Recordings), DJ Catt (Casa Del Soul), Bill Patrick (112 Crew, ARC, NYC), Tom Amoroso (112 Crew, Philly), Dennis Rodgers (112 Crew, NYC)

we had one other event scheduled for maze of what i thought to be a phenominal lineup of ashley casselle, sean cusick, three, mazi, deep c, udoh, kindergarten and steve gerrard, but for financial reasons the night fell through. too bad to, could have been a huge night. and another w/ soma that is still in the air. so ya win some ya lose some. ;) but for whatever reasons... modernism will continue to push the boundries forward! with maze or whoever else comes looking for some wicked upcoming international talent!

Well, it cleared the air some.

The one thing that got to me about the current patch of promoters at Maze/Lime Bar is the seeming internal battles between the two. It's ultimately self-defeating since it's the same venue. Each night I've been there lately, someone or a few someones have been going around luring girls from Maze into Lime Bar with offers of free drinks and so forth. And where the girls go, the guys do too, and that's half the reason Maze is empty by 3 AM. It happened a bit at Demi's set, it happened at the Mr. C/DJ Three set, it happened again during Tyler's set. Now they've apparently got a kicking party over there on it's own merit, I don't see why they have to steal people from Maze. I know they can come back to Maze, but most don't. They stay put with the free drinks and the atmosphere with more people.

Maze has a lot of potential. Every time they seem to have something good, something fucks up though...usually something that could have been avoided. The incident with PM Sessions was one, the promoter battles is another. The club has an uphill battle as it is, the petty internal conflicts have got to go.

i just wanna thank every 1 that came out last frday. unfortunaley as you all know shit hit the fan hard. its a shame everthing happend to such a cool event. from bad music to our own promoters taking people away from the main room. but all i can say is that will all be fixed by this week. i just want u all to know that i will get this club rockin. it just takes a bit of time to fix all the problems, but hang in there b/c we will be getting some top notch talent and some bad ass local dj's as well. and this week we will also ofer every one who shows up a 4 hr open bar.

as for wmc. we have a very sick line up wich will be posted by the end of the week. if u have any questions about the progress of our venue just email me: eddyguerramia@hotmail.com and i will be glad to reply':hat:

the 2 major things that maze needs to do:

1. hire a music director. they have promotions directors, marketing directors and even financial directors. yet no pure music director. someone that can work with the promotion and marketing teams. help them sell the music. cause lets face it. you can paint a pile a shit a pretty color and sell it to the miami crowd. it's all a matter of presentation. you need someone that knows the scene, has been around a long time and actually listens to music outside of friday and saturday nights in the club.

2. move the dj booth. i know it'll cost a small fortune... but every dj that has played that club has complained. when crobar first opened, they made the same mistake on placing the booth to high and the dj is totally disconnected from the crowd. crobar spent the money and moved the booth to where it currently is and it completely changed the vibe and feel of the club. before (much like maze now) it was a nice place yet very stagnet. once the booth was moved it became the warm place that it is today. don't move it to the hole that is in the wall downstairs either. move it just to the left of that right on that walkway that goes under the booth now. right where those stairs are now. plus the current setup of the booth, although it is nice, the ladder to get into it is just a lawsuit waiting to happen. trust me, it'll be worth the money spent. and if it saves somebody from falling and breaking a leg or bashing their head, even better.

very well stated james & geez, that post was loooooooong ;)

at the end of the day, our little "scene" is still a business. that be'ng said, money NEEDS to be made and bills MUST be paid! something that i think most people forget...

for maze & miami, i truly hope they are able to turn things around and grow with the times.