Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Miami mayor wants to cancel ULTRA5...

happyface

I'm very confident that ULTRA will go on, however I have heard from reliable sources that security this year will be incredibly tough and more cops at the entrance to scope out people trying to bring in illegal substances, I think they are gonna make it really tough for those people who are looking to "party " this year

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the mayor is sending the wrong message, and making himself look like a complete and utter arse. not everybody at Ultra is on drugs.. by making bold comments as he has, he creates FEAR, which can cause more problems. the smart thing to have said is "The city is doing everything it can to ensure a safe event.."The mayor needs to put his political agenda aside, and act like a leader not a follower. :idea:

Originally posted by ogmiami

You guys are getting the wrong point...

First, I hope this gets resolved at the meeting today and that Ultra goes on as planned.

They are not saying that they want to shut it down because of drugs. They are saying that they want to shut it down because of drugs and underage kids together. It's very different.

Nothing creates more bed press for a city than a picture on the front page of a 16 year old kid ODing on City property. The Mayor is in cover ass mode. They won't be able to stop it but if anything happens, the Mayor can say he tried to stop it.

Then set an age limit of 18! Don't fuck out plans up cause of some dumb fucking teenagers. I agree, I used to live in NC and all we had were big ass raves that were held at fairgrounds. They didn't have age limits and, as a result, all these 16 years old are walking around E'd and coked out. That shit is just stupid and that's why I like Miami so much. People are going to do what they do, hell, I won't hide, I have dabbled with different things myself. The point is, we are old enough to have common sense. It is these kids that are coming in and giving each other orgy-esque massages in the middle of the dance floor that fuck things up. And the cameras LOVE to show that on the 11 o'clock news because kids are so INNOCENT and the "rave parties" are corrupting their sweet little minds. Let me tell you something, nowadays most kids are idiots and sheep. Leave it to them to fuck up something that the rest of us can handle. I'm not saying some of us veterans aren't just flat-out stupid as well, but if the whole problem is with the underage "look at me, I'm glowsticking to the new Oakenfold video on MTV" crowd, then set an age limit like all the rest of Miami and leave to show to US!

Originally posted by ogmiami

You guys are getting the wrong point...

First, I hope this gets resolved at the meeting today and that Ultra goes on as planned.

They are not saying that they want to shut it down because of drugs. They are saying that they want to shut it down because of drugs and underage kids together. It's very different.

Nothing creates more bed press for a city than a picture on the front page of a 16 year old kid ODing on City property. The Mayor is in cover ass mode. They won't be able to stop it but if anything happens, the Mayor can say he tried to stop it.

Dade, once again I agree with you.

Months ago there was a board debate over Ultra. It is obvious that for economical reasons Ultra is at bayfront, they can market it as an all ages event. And this is the ONLY all ages event during WMC:idea:

By doing this, they lost many who don't even want to cross the bridge and party with teen agers.

The debate now is about the major not if the beach or Bayfront. I know that. Ultra will go on. The major is setting his defense in case someone wants to go after his political career. It is understandable but not justifiable.

Controversy is great for the event. It generates extra TV and press coverage. The number of teen agers who will be denied permission by their parents to attend is less than the number of people who will decide to attend after ALL THE FACTS of the event are presented as a defense argument to the major's position. It is free advertising.

That is why Saleen is so important on this message board. His controversial statements only feed the original subject discussed. Very few of us are actually ever convinced by any of his comments. :tongue::cool:

I'm not going to make a broad generalization and say that all kids under 18 are that way, but the amount of ODs and plain-old passing out I've seen tends to be in that bracket. An age limit might just be the result of this development.

I think if the Ultra team really wants to combat the pass-out people, their security should be more vigilant, spend less time forming a human wall on the stages, and more time out in the field, picking up people who are passed out. Of course check that they aren't just relaxing in the sun or something, but toss people who get too fucked in the head and pass out.

Originally posted by sobeton

the mayor is sending the wrong message, and making himself look like a complete and utter arse. not everybody at Ultra is on drugs.. by making bold comments as he has, he creates FEAR, which can cause more problems. the smart thing to have said is "The city is doing everything it can to ensure a safe event.."The mayor needs to put his political agenda aside, and act like a leader not a follower. :idea:

I agree totally. The mayor obviously has no idea what he is talking about and you are clearly more politically savvy than he is. what a tool. I think setting an 18+ age policy for Ultra in the future is a good idea though, especially if it will relax the heat being brought on the event. The mayor is definatley causing fear - for instance I am now afraid that even if they let it go on the police will raid the damn thing.

Originally posted by saleen351

who cares.. I think the mayor is right.... how many of yous will be on drugs??? I'd say most of yous...

oh brother!

the saint has spoken...

mr pothead himself...

buddy u smoke pot, u do drugs..

just a little reminder...

so i guess its safe to say that amongst those who u say will be on drugs, u shall be one of them.

buddy u smoke pot, u do drugs..

POT IS NOT A DRUG!:mad: :mad:

But , what about all those passed out spring breakers od'ing on booze??? Thats even dirtier..

True fact: Drugs will be there rave or not? What do you think will happen if ultra gets cancel? Were do you think the kids are gonna go with their drugs? Club treehouse in their suburban havens//

Yesterday was calle ocho! over 1,000,000 drunk agressive people. Minors drinking and getting lost. Now the mayor has balls to come today and say he doesn't approve of the Ultra Event becuase of drugs... hahaha I bet if it was a Calle Ocho with drugs he wouldn't mind.

He should of just used the excuse of the war to try to cancle, insted of making an ass of him self.

What's next. CLUBS CLOSED BECAUSE OF DRuGz?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh we need Jackie Johnson!!! support... LOL

:argue2::whip: say the right thing, MR. Mayor

nexus

Originally posted by corinto

POT IS NOT A DRUG!:mad: :mad:

But , what about all those passed out spring breakers od'ing on booze??? Thats even dirtier..

True fact: Drugs will be there rave or not? What do you think will happen if ultra gets cancel? Were do you think the kids are gonna go with their drugs? Club treehouse in their suburban havens//

true...

ok so what is pot??

ok but booze u can purchase legally pot u can't unless its prescribed by the gov't.. if i'm not mistaken.... to my understandins anyways... pot is not legal.. it may not be categorized as a bad drug like X or cocaine but it is a drug.. (technically speaking anyways). anyway my 2 cents worth..

:D

I wasn't here but didn't drugs build this city?

And for everyone re-education. Cigarettes kill more people than all drugs, legal and illegal, combined. Idiot politics. I think the mayor is doing this to cover his back. He can say he tried to stop it. That way no overdoses, etc. will fall on his shoulder. This is an event that last year did something like 28,000 people. The Mayor will not risk the multi million dollar law suit that they will lose.

Ultra will happen folks, you'll see. Politricks, that's all.