Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ultra 5 Might Be Cancelled....

Diaz tries to unplug show over drug fears

Promoters to meet mayor, consider suit

BY DAPHNE DURET

dduret@herald.com

Miami Mayor Manny Diaz's last-minute bid to cancel a Bayfront Park festival scheduled for March 22 has pitted him against the promoters of the electronic music event expected to draw tens of thousands of people.

At a meeting scheduled for noon today, Diaz will ask Bayfront Park officials and event promoters to stop the fifth annual Ultra Electronic Music Festival.

If they can't reach an agreement with Diaz by the end of today's meeting, lawyers for Ultra say they will be forced to sue the city, especially since promoters have already spent more than $600,000 on the event and have another $1 million in contracts.

They have also sold thousands of tickets for $40 to $60 each and signed an agreement to produce live broadcasts at the event, promoters said.

If the festival goes on as scheduled, though, promoters expect such artists as Underworld, Paul Oakenfold, Sasha, John Digweed, Paul van Dyk, Hybrid and Seb Fountaine.

The event is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. March 22 and end at 1 a.m. the next day.

The problem comes just two weeks before the event. Diaz's office cited concerns about possible widespread drug use as the reason to stop the event. Promoters said those concerns are unfounded. They said they only heard of the mayor's plan to cancel the event at a meeting Thursday at City Hall.

LAST YEAR'S EVENT

An aide to Diaz, his press secretary Kelly Penton, said her boss' concerns arose from reports of rampant drug use at last year's event, also at Bayfront Park. The mayor said many of the music fans would be minors.

Penton said Diaz began to worry when he learned a few weeks ago that the festival was returning. Penton said the mayor was aware of the festival because he had watched television footage of last year's event.

The footage was part of a larger television news report chronicling use of the drug Ecstasy at parties in South Florida, promoters and Diaz's office said.

But Ultra promoter Russell Faibisch called the broadcast misleading, saying that less than 10 percent of the footage came from video taken at last year's festival.

''Ultra is a music dance party that attracts upwards of 30,000 people,'' Diaz's office said in a written statement Sunday. ``At least half consume illegal drugs and a significant portion of participants are kids under the age of 18.''

Diaz's office did not provide the basis for those statistics. But Penton referred calls to Miami Detective Eladio Paez for corroboration.

Paez said he was a 21-year veteran of the Miami Police Department, adding that he has specialized in narcotics-use trends for the past 18 years.

He estimated that more than half of those who attended last year's concert either used, sold or bought drugs openly. Paez put attendance last year at 21,000. But a police report of the event faxed to The Herald by event lawyers put the estimated attendance at 30,000.

Lawyers for Ultra said promoters have not received any complaints stemming from the previous two years they've held the event at the park.

The police report cited 56 arrests, but did not detail the reason for the detentions. It also noted that four people had been hospitalized but did not say why.

The report made two recommendations for improved security: barricades and more police at money collection booths.

The report, as faxed to The Herald, made no reference to drugs.

LETTERS OF PRAISE

Promoters said police and fire officials and the Bayfront Park Management Trust have given approval to have the concert again this year.

Promoters also faxed to The Herald copies of letters from Bayfront Park officials to park officials elsewhere in the country praising the organization of the event last year.

''The producers demonstrated a commitment to patron safety, collaborating closely with City of Miami police and Fire Rescue,'' said a letter signed by Timothy Schmand, executive director for Bayfront Park Management Trust. ``The Trust believes that Ultra Music Festival will continue to work closely with them in the future.''

This year's event is advertised on both the city of Miami and Bayfront Park websites. The Bayfront Park website speaks of the festival in glowing terms: ''This is one party you can't miss!'' a note on the site says.

the mayor is an idiot. Bayfront Park is managed by The City Of Miami, which means they signed a written contract with the promoters, before advertising began on the event. if the city cancels the event, they can be sued for millions of dollars. not to mention the loss of extra income, the city gets from a percentage of vender sales, parking, etc. assumptions about what may occur, does not give one legal precedence, to cancel an event. as long as the promoters are exercising, reasonable care in preventing illegal things from occurring, and are operating within the confides of the law. the Mayor has no legal right to cancel the event. further if the city cancels the event, don’t be surprised if the promoters go into court to seek an injunction. IGNORANCE is not a valid legal argument. :mad:

They should have kept Ultra on The Beach! ;)

I bet the mayor wants a bigger percentage cause he knows that there will be people caught with drugs or maybe rushed to the hospital cause of the drugs in ya and the heat. He doesnt want to deal with the press and the stress. So I bet the people doing ULTRA doesnt want to give out the extra percentage. City will loose $$$$$ if it comes to it. But in all, it will go through. Why, if its doesnt then the mayor isnt gonna get shit, and if it does he'll get his cut. GREEEEEEDY world..........

Victor Soto

Red Carpet Promo

Originally posted by vsoto212

I bet the mayor wants a bigger percentage cause he knows that there will be people caught with drugs or maybe rushed to the hospital cause of the drugs in ya and the heat. He doesnt want to deal with the press and the stress. So I bet the people doing ULTRA doesnt want to give out the extra percentage. City will loose $$$$$ if it comes to it. But in all, it will go through. Why, if its doesnt then the mayor isnt gonna get shit, and if it does he'll get his cut. GREEEEEEDY world..........

Victor Soto

Red Carpet Promo

Ultra will go on........... After what was said at the public meeting at Bayfront Park this afternoon. There will be many changes because of this, which is totally out of Ultra's hands. Ultra will be having a press release in the next couple of days. It doesn't have anything to do with given an extra percentage or any money related reasons. The ultimate target The Mayor was reinforcing was towards drugs and minors at this event. So to be able to continue with Ultra this year Ultra

must abide by certain requirements.

This is some serious bullshit and I am pissed off by hearing this crap. I highly doubt they are going to cancel ULTRA cause otherwise the city will be sued big time, so thats fine with me. But, whats this I am hearing about no cameras in the place, is this a joke or something. If anyone went to ULTRA last year was that rule in effect there too, cause i'd really like to know. Thanks.

Originally posted by dshadow35

This is some serious bullshit and I am pissed off by hearing this crap. I highly doubt they are going to cancel ULTRA cause otherwise the city will be sued big time, so thats fine with me. But, whats this I am hearing about no cameras in the place, is this a joke or something. If anyone went to ULTRA last year was that rule in effect there too, cause i'd really like to know. Thanks.

I believe you can have camera's but No

camcorder's. And yes, you could have camera's last year. There will be some restrictions this year but totally out of Ultra's hands. So, it's either that or No Ultra at all!!!