Clubplanet Nightlife Community

It is the eve of another war...

phatman

Bush: Monday is 'a moment of truth' on Iraq

White House to make final push for Security Council votes

Sunday, March 16, 2003 Posted: 8:13 PM EST (0113 GMT)

LAJES, Azores (CNN) -- President Bush said the "coalition of the willing" would make its final effort Monday -- "a moment of truth for the world" -- to extract a resolution from the U.N. Security Council that would give Iraq an ultimatum to disarm immediately or be disarmed by force.

"Tomorrow is the day we determine whether or not diplomacy can work," Bush said after a one-hour meeting with his key council allies, British Prime Minister Tony Blair and Spanish Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar.

"Tomorrow is a moment of truth for the world," Bush said. "Many nations have voiced a commitment to peace and security, and now they must demonstrate that commitment in the only effective way, by supporting the immediate and unconditional disarmament of Saddam Hussein."

Administration sources said White House officials would be calling many of the 15 Security Council members in a final effort to persuade them to vote for a draft resolution that would give Iraq a few more days to disarm or face military action.

Bush's speechwriters, in anticipation that the president might appear on television this week to issue an ultimatum to Iraqi President Saddam Hussein -- with or without the blessing of the Security Council -- spent the weekend with Bush at Camp David and traveled with him to the Azores.

Originally posted by phatman

...i have a mixed bag of feelings on this but the underlying emotion is sadness...for us, for them, for mankind...

same. i'm more sad than anything else.

sad that people have to lie and be stupid about everything and sad that some others can't back down from a challenge because their balls are doing the thinking, not their brains.

i'm also sad that politics is so twisted that we have to rely on a few cars' worth of inspectors and to fight a battle with the rest of the world in the UN summit. we could have had hundreds and hundreds of inspectors in the country to make sure saddam isn't playing hide & seek.

when the bombs start falling i'm just going to feel bad for the world. some people will take it the wrong way and think they can preemptively attack everywhere else. some people will spit on our flag a llittle more. a lot of people won't want this to happen.

if anything this is gonna make terrorists even more determined to use chem/bio weapons just to prove a point.

Originally posted by phatman

...i would rather abuse you but on a different level...ooops...wrong board...

anyways

...i have a mixed bag of feelings on this but the underlying emotion is sadness...for us, for them, for mankind...

and how would you abuse me...and on what level.....;):D

Originally posted by sassa

and how would you abuse me...and on what level.....;):D

lol...i'd just like to abuse you on your sig makeover, ya fruitcake....someone found a new smilie site.... :tongue:

anywho, to add to the "saddness", today we had almost a three hour sales meeting on the effects of war on our business, and we strategized on how to get any goods that aren't made domestically through production and into our US warehouses.....it was a grim, grim meeting... :half:

Originally posted by marcid21

lol...i'd just like to abuse you on your sig makeover, ya fruitcake....someone found a new smilie site.... :tongue:

anywho, to add to the "saddness", today we had almost a three hour sales meeting on the effects of war on our business, and we strategized on how to get any goods that aren't made domestically through production and into our US warehouses.....it was a grim, grim meeting... :half:

haha....i guess i was bored....got tired of the ????????????????????? on the bottom.....you don't like the kitties running around and napping???? or bush the monkey boy??....:cry::D

Originally posted by phuturephunk

...we're all fucking doomed..

Unless when you say "we" you mean the Iraqi people, you're an idiot. I hate the idea of war as the next guy and don't want it. But one thing is sure...this war will be quick and we won't see many American casualties. Yes, even 1 is too many, I agree...but this is going to be a quick and out deal. I do worry a little bit about some kind of terroristic attack inside our borders, but god help Iraq or whatever terrorist group that does it. That will give Bush and the U.S. even more of an excuse to blow them off the face of the Earth. But to say something as stupid as "we're all doomed" is...well stupid.

Originally posted by mangos

Unless when you say "we" you mean the Iraqi people, you're an idiot. I hate the idea of war as the next guy and don't want it. But one thing is sure...this war will be quick and we won't see many American casualties. Yes, even 1 is too many, I agree...but this is going to be a quick and out deal. I do worry a little bit about some kind of terroristic attack inside our borders, but god help Iraq or whatever terrorist group that does it. That will give Bush and the U.S. even more of an excuse to blow them off the face of the Earth. But to say something as stupid as "we're all doomed" is...well stupid.

I dont think its that stupid, I think we have a right to be worried we dont know what Iraq/terrorists groups are capable of, I'm worried.

i'm concerned that saddam may be right.

Iraq might NOT have ANY bio/chem weapons... because it sold or "lost" them to other rogue groups.

if so much as ONE of those hits the US and we trace it back to iraq, then there is no excuse why we shouldn't exercise our nuclear arsenal and lay waste to that entire country.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Saying the "danger was clear" that the Iraqi regime would provide terrorists with biological, chemical or nuclear weapons, President Bush announced the end of "peaceful efforts" to disarm Iraq in a televised address to the nation Monday night.

Bush gave Iraqi President Saddam Hussein 48 hours for him, his immediate family and other key leaders to leave Iraq before military action began "at a time of our choosing."

Bush spelled out 12 years of failed diplomatic attempts to disarm Iraq after the Persian Gulf War.

"[iraq] has uniformly defied Security Council resolutions demanding full disarmament," Bush said "Over the years, U.N. weapons inspectors have been threatened by Iraqi officials, electronically bugged and systematically deceived. Peaceful efforts to disarm the Iraq regime have failed again and again because we are not dealing with peaceful men.

"Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no doubt that the Iraq regime continues to possess and conceal some of the most lethal weapons ever devised. This regime has already used weapons of mass destruction against Iraq's neighbors and against Iraq's people," Bush said

Regime 'has a deep hatred of America'

"The regime has a history of reckless aggression in the Middle East. It has a deep hatred of America and our friends, and it has aided, trained and harbored terrorists, including operatives of al Qaeda," he continued.

"The danger is clear: Using chemical, biological or, one day, nuclear weapons obtained with the help of Iraq, the terrorists could fulfill their stated ambitions and kill thousands or hundreds of thousands of innocent people in our country or any other," Bush said.

Earlier Monday, Iraqi Foreign Minister Naji Sabri ruled out the possibility of Saddam relinquishing his power and leaving Iraq. Sabri called Bush a "crazy man" and suggested that Bush step down instead to let the world live in peace. (Full story)

Originally posted by cintron

bush is right, as much as i hate to admit it. :(

it's sad that things have to come to this end. He can't afford to do nothing, but it woulld've been better if the Iraqis didn't say "fuck you" to the world for the last decade.

i whole heartedly agree.... :(

That's what they said about the last war.

Since you seem to think the US is going to do all this ("blow them off the face of the earth") maybe you should become the US.........and join the Army, Navy or any other force.

IMO until one does join the force, or becomes an activist we are all people who just post opinions on a message board

.......this will not change the world.

Originally posted by mangos